Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Saw this on My Yahoo page this morning.

Link To Story....
    This doesn't look real good for Palm .

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2007...nUoBNVtTnMWM0F

What are peoples thoughts on this?

-Joey
    My thought is what were the other 1199 people doing while one was working on the MR for the 700p. You knew there would be layoffs/ restructuring when the new group was brought in.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    If they are laying off people that aren't needed, it is good for Palm. They need to be profitable to survive. The new 25% owners will be looking to make the company profitable or it wouldn't have put money in. This is to be expected if they want to stay in business. I'd be more concerned about no changes. Obviously, they need to do something they have not been doing lately to stay in business. Let's hope this is part of the correct plan.
    This is a good thing. "Flattening our hierarchical structure" means they're getting rid of managers who don't do anything except manage people who probably don't need to be managed how they're being managed today.

Tom
    I hope Marc from Chatteremail was not among the layoffs. That would be terrrible now that palm owns chatteremail.
    Could it be those who failed to adequately test the 700P and the 700P MR, or those who promise MR's in the first place and write about them (sporadically) in the new company Blog? Maybe even those who sold & spun-off PalmSource, or those who thought 500 bucks for a smartfone companion was a good price-point? Maybe those responsible for the BT stack?

CYA time, CYA time...

"Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Like in Office Space....."What do you do?" "I deal with the customers!!!"
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Clearing way for a new team to be put in place by Rubenstein?
    Pilot 1000>Palm Pilot>Palm IIIx>Visor Prism>Toshiba e310>Toshiba e740>PPC-6700>Treo 700wx
    <a href="http://www.xianfox.com">xianfox.com</a>
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by serchend View Post
    I hope Marc from Chatteremail was not among the layoffs. That would be terrrible now that palm owns chatteremail.
    The irony would fit well given the events of the last few months if things did indeed go down that way. I would think that if you believed in Marc and Chatter enough to buy it and put him on the payroll you wouldn't want to fire him so soon afterwards. It would be quite the waste of an investment.
    Interesting quote from article;

"were concentrated in the company's development group"
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post

I hope the part-time programmer assigned to the 700p MR project was not among them...
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    The part I found most interesting was the statement of "mostly in our development area"

well no chyt after the Foleo fiasco I can see why! Not to mention the 700P, not to mention the 650... ok ok ok Ill stop

ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post

It was everyone that had been developing the Foleo. Once they realized how big of a failure it was (would be?) they decided to scrap the whole project and fire all those working on it.

...or it could just be management re-structuring with the new investment from Elevation Partners.

I personally kinda like the sound of the former than the latter.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Maybe now that they cut those expenses, they will upgrade the 700p customers to the 755.
    They are definitely rolling heads over some of their recent blunders. Not the Foleo at all, that project was pushed from the very top and they still believe in it. But first they mention the development team, then they mention reorganizing for "direct project accountability." A whole section of Palm's development team has caused the 700p to be screwup after screwup after amazingly irresponsible screwup, and I'm sure they are all pointing fingers at each other for it. So heads will roll.

I'm actually really impressed with the way Palm has shown recently how they are willing to make dramatic changes when they see things go bad. I'm just disappointed it went so far and 700p owners had to be the victims of it.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I believe the new owners are just facing the hard facts... Palm is in bad shape. They need to streamline their projects, prioritize the things that matters most (the treo) and cut out unnecessary development (not the foleo team !!!) from Palm's payroll. I agree with VetPsychWars that change is good. This may make room for the new guys to come in... Let's wait and see
    Its great news, and its about time this was done. The new investors are cutting out the deadwood and useless personnel at palm which have contributed to palm's product stagnation.
    I hope that when Mr. Blank sold Chatter to Palm, there was a clause in there that if he were fired, the ownership of the product would revert back to him.

Maybe they are firing the Versamail team, to make way for Chatter?!

This news could be good, or bad, I don't know which yet.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    There have been many changes since Colligan took over after Bradley. If you had been paying attention to openings over the past year you may have noticed Six Sigma (or similar) experience creeping in to some requirements.

Don't think this action has anything to do with 700p MR, Foleo or Elevation; the latter especially since it has yet to be approved by shareholders. Whether these reductions are in any way aligned with Elevation's plans or are a continuation of older initiatives remains to be seen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast