1.    #1  
    How much difference is there in download speeds between 2G and 3G?

Are the 750 and the 755 the only Treo's with 3G? The 700, 680, 650 and the 600 are all 2G correct?

Lastly, are download speedsw different when using PDANet versus DUN?
    The 700 is also 3G.

3G is about 10 times faster than 2G. Its the difference between taking an hour or two minutes to download a song.

Surur
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The 700 is also 3G.

3G is about 10 times faster than 2G. Its the difference between taking an hour or two minutes to download a song.

Surur
    Wow. Does 3G approach 1 Mps?
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    700p, 700w, 700wx, 750, 755p, 750v are all 3G. Some on GSM networks, some on CDMA networks.

the 680 is Palm's current ONLY Treo that isn't 3G
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert30 View Post
    Wow. Does 3G approach 1 Mps?
    HSDPA and EVDO can both reliably get around 700 Kb/sec, and can peak over 1 MB/sec. Theoretically HSDPA can get up to 1.8 Mb/sec, but no-one ever gets that, and the next upgrade for HSDPA will go up to 3.6 Mbit/sec

Surur
    Good info regarding the speeds. Thanks! Something to keep in mind are the "real world" way all this plays out, however. I have a 680 and I pretty much never find myself twiddling my thumbs waiting for stuff to load. I'm used to an excellent and very fast wifi connection at my home and a big fast T1 line at the college I work at, so I'm not coming from a dialup perspective.

On the 680 when I open Versamail, for example, from the time I hit "Get" to the time my messages are loaded and readable is under 10 seconds. That's going from a no-data connection to done. I can typically do a Google search from no-data to answers in less than that. Not to pick on the 700p, but I keep seeing that it can take 30 seconds for Blazer to start up and get going. The 680 that takes about 1 second, so I can usually be done with a session including logging on and off in under 30 seconds.

I guess the biggest factor is how you're going to use your connection. I typically am pulling e-mail or doing a quick search or quick Google Maps check. For that, the 680's EDGE is just fine. If I were doing a lot of browsing or downloading files, the 3G would be more of a factor.

That's my 2 cents, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    I guess the biggest factor is how you're going to use your connection. I typically am pulling e-mail or doing a quick search or quick Google Maps check. For that, the 680's EDGE is just fine. If I were doing a lot of browsing or downloading files, the 3G would be more of a factor.

That's my 2 cents, at least.
    3G opens up new usage scenarios. It becomes practical to remotely control your PC via logmein for example, to stream media via slingbox or orb, or to download podcasts directly to your device.

Surur
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    HSDPA and EVDO can both reliably get around 700 Kb/sec, and can peak over 1 MB/sec. Theoretically HSDPA can get up to 1.8 Mb/sec, but no-one ever gets that, and the next upgrade for HSDPA will go up to 3.6 Mbit/sec

Surur
    What are HSDPA and EVDO? I keep seeing those acronyms on TreoCentral but never understood what they were.
    Those are the acronyms for the 3g networks on the different providers. Check out this link for a detailed overview:

http://www.evdoforums.com/thread1235.html
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Those are the acronyms for the 3g networks on the different providers. Check out this link for a detailed overview:

http://www.evdoforums.com/thread1235.html
    Thanks.

From the link it appears that Cingular is currently on UMTS but is in the process of upgrading to HSDPA which will be faster.
    Thanks.

From the link it appears that Cingular is currently on UMTS but is in the process of upgrading to HSDPA which will be faster.
    No, that's incorrect. Cingular already has HSDPA implemented, it's just a matter of whether the device supports it. The Treo 750 does not. However, the 8525 and the Blackjack already come from the factory with HSDPA supported.

WM6 will bring the 750 up to speed (so to speak).
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Isn't there a hack for the 750 that enables it now? I thought I read that back when it came out on Vodaphone that people were doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Isn't there a hack for the 750 that enables it now? I thought I read that back when it came out on Vodaphone that people were doing it.
    Yes, that is correct. However, it will be nice to not have to have that .exe in the startup and have native support (I think an "H" or "3G" icon shows up) in WM6.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I have a 650 using T-Mobile. How do I switch up to a faster speed? Mine is still pretty slow.

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by khawn View Post
    I have a 650 using T-Mobile. How do I switch up to a faster speed? Mine is still pretty slow.

Ken
    You don't. You have an EDGE device (not too mention that T-Mo has no 3G implementation yet).
    There was another thread about using the wifi sled with the 650. I never used it, so I can't comment on how well it works. However, that is about the only thing you can do to speed up your data connection and it would require you to be near a T-Mobile hotspot or an open wifi network.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    No, that's incorrect. Cingular already has HSDPA implemented, it's just a matter of whether the device supports it. The Treo 750 does not. However, the 8525 and the Blackjack already come from the factory with HSDPA supported.

WM6 will bring the 750 up to speed (so to speak).
    Any idea when WM6 will be released?
  18.    #18  
    Any idea when WM6 will be released?
    Nevermind, I looked at another thread and it appears the release date is still a mystery.