Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
  1. #21  

    Some one has mentioned the Garnet OS (without Linux) and the Win Mobile version. I guess Palm is trying to milk us again. What's the basic difference in the Treo 755p and this unit other than cost. Are they going to reduce memory? Is the unit going to be thinner? I doubt that. I am going to try the BB 8830 as soon as Sprint releases it. After the trial I will return it if I do not like it and I will return to Palm when they release the linux version. but if this phone did not have lag, I would definitely consider the phone. But unless the hardware and software is redesigned it will have the lag. Of course if Palm would throw in more memory so that Win Mobile 6 would be faster; then they could maybe compete. Is that also a 800w? I guess time will tell. Palm needs a real winner. The 755p is nice but if the lag were gone; it would be a winner.
  2. backbeat's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Then this "hoax" image if followed by a real color photo (admittedly blurry and lacking in detail, not unusual unfortunately for such "leaks") which seems awfully coincidental.
    Obviously, you're still clueless about the difference between an engineering rendering and a photo. You'll notice that palminfocenter seems to know the difference if you bother to read any more than you speak, that is
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    But that begs the question: if you know how to use Photoshop, why would you do such a "crappy" job?
    It was good enough that you couldn't tell.

    Seems if you're going to pull a hoax you'd be quite proficient at using PS.
    You're arguing that amateurs don't exist. So do you think this is a real Palm device?

    Then this "hoax" image if followed by a real color photo (admittedly blurry and lacking in detail, not unusual unfortunately for such "leaks") which seems awfully coincidental.
    As newtonjack says, the guy probably did it from memory. When the fake picture came out, maybe someone with access to the real thing decided to post a photo.

    As far as it being "from over a year ago", this Brighthand article from 2005 talks about the $200 mid-range family of devices--they obviously plan ahead. Though they have somewhat done this with the PalmOS Treos (755p/680), none for the WM.

    Coupled with the fact we know that "... a full line of upcoming Treos heading to market later this year through early 2008. No additional details on possible operating systems or form factors are given.", plus some unseen/undefined Treo 800w device coming to Verizon in September, I think it's safe to put this in the definite plausible category.

    Too much evidence is building form different sources, imo.
    The device in the color photo is plausible.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    It was good enough that you couldn't tell.
    It's not that I couldn't tell, but I recognized it for what it was--a mock up image of a device that might not have even been prototyped yet, not necessarily the final device or production model.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    You're arguing that amateurs don't exist. So do you think this is a real Palm device?
    lol, that was a funny hoax. But at least that was quickly shown to be faked since it was basically just another device with the Palm screen put on. At least it looked like it could be real had someone not known that the device in question already exists.

    Outside of the choice for the hoax though, it wasn't too bad of a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    As newtonjack says, the guy probably did it from memory. When the fake picture came out, maybe someone with access to the real thing decided to post a photo.
    Maybe. Maybe not. You figured he would have at least got the OS correct though...

    At this point all we can do is corroborate what we know from other sources with this pictures. But none of these designs and choices (smartphone) should come as a surprise to those who follow Palm.

    None of this is 100% proof, but it is jiving somewhat with what we know. All we can do is wait for another pic. This happens though with every Palm device though, so skepticism is warranted (remember Treo Symbian? )

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5. backbeat's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #25  
    The color rendering is not a photo. It's a rendering. Look into it.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lol, that was a funny hoax. But at least that was quickly shown to be faked since it was basically just another device with the Palm screen put on. At least it looked like it could be real had someone not known that the device in question already exists.

    Outside of the choice for the hoax though, it wasn't too bad of a job.
    fyi, I was the one who found the existing device; I searched because I saw that it was a crappy photoshop job.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    fyi, I was the one who found the existing device; I searched because I saw that it was a crappy photoshop job.

    Samkim, I don't want to say I doubt your claims, however, in this community I think it's safe to assume Mal is definetly a more respected member. So instead of bickering your point, show some proof on why you think this is a PS job. I would like your analysis of the picture into what you see that is a "clear" give away.

    And Backbeat, stop co-signing on samkim's checks. He is a big boy and can handle himself I am sure. You're just adding drivel (i.e. coughtrollcough) to the thread and your poor attempt at sarcasim is killing my eyes. You haven't made a clear point yet at this thread! It's almost like you think you are making sense too.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Samkim, I don't want to say I doubt your claims, however, in this community I think it's safe to assume Mal is definetly a more respected member. So instead of bickering your point, show some proof on why you think this is a PS job. I would like your analysis of the picture into what you see that is a "clear" give away.
    Mal and I are in agreement that the black "Gandolf" is a photoshop. I described the reasons in the other thread.

    If you're talking about the copper umpc, just enlarge it by 4x and look at the logo: a) the pixelization does not match the rest of the picture, b) the white of the logo is different from the white of the screen, and c) the logo is not circular.
    Last edited by samkim; 06/10/2007 at 08:50 AM.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Mal and I are in agreement that the black "Gandolf" is a photoshop. I described the reasons in the other thread.

    If you're talking about the copper umpc, just enlarge it by 4x and look at the logo: a) the pixelization does not match the rest of the picture, b) the white of the logo is different from the white of the screen, and c) the logo is not circular.

    The black Gandolf (either a Palm rendering or someone who remembered the prototype and tried to recreate it as best as possible i.e. the Dash keyboard)is obviously a PS, I am speaking of the white one, that seems to be running WM5/6 Smartphone/Standard edition. UMPC is obviously a PS and can be attributed to many different photos on the internet. I thought the picture in question was the Palm Smartphone that looks quite retched as far as designs go.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    If you're talking about the copper umpc ...
    Is there a friendly site admin around who could turn back on image posting in these threads?
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    The black Gandolf (either a Palm rendering or someone who remembered the prototype and tried to recreate it as best as possible i.e. the Dash keyboard)is obviously a PS, I am speaking of the white one, that seems to be running WM5/6 Smartphone/Standard edition. UMPC is obviously a PS and can be attributed to many different photos on the internet. I thought the picture in question was the Palm Smartphone that looks quite retched as far as designs go.
    We weren't arguing about the white device.
  12. #32  
    I don't know about you guys, I wouldn't waste time to argue over the black phone. It's going to be the most basic and boring Treo in the Palm lineup. Maybe except the price I don't care about any bit about the phone.

    It's like the unvealing of the new redesign Chevy Cavalier, would you care?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions