1.    #1  
    I downloaded and began playing around with the Windows Mobile 6 SDK which includes an emulator for testing programs. You can run 240x240, 240x320, 480x480, 320x320, and 480x640 to test different resolutions.

I loaded some games and found that most cut the top and bottom off just like my 700wx does now. It just scales the program up. Only the arcade Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man showed the full 320, it just moved the program to the left and had black space right. I tried the pDosBox emulator, but it gave a scrambled screen.

I wish they had some more configurations to set this inside of Windows Mobile. I thought that a 320x320 screen would "letterbox" a 240x320 legacy program inside it. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Without more square screen support, the higher resolution will give a better look but won't be much more functional. Overall, I think this disappointing.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Could it be the apps you are testing don't support a 320x320 res?
  3.    #3  
    Well, considering that 320x320 is brand new, I wouldn't think any application today or earlier would support it natively. I just figured it would allow software to display the full 320 top to bottom and 240 across with 120 of blank space, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    I mean games are always the least compatible with resolution changes...so where's the news in that?

Also, the Treo is not geared nor targeted to gaming, so that is a niche market. Many games also don't work on the Moto Q b/c it's 320x240.

The real question is for other programs e.g. photos, media, RSS how does the new resolution fit. Fact is, with any new resolution there will always be a period where programs don't work so well.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest790 View Post
    Well, considering that 320x320 is brand new, I wouldn't think any application today or earlier would support it natively. I just figured it would allow software to display the full 320 top to bottom and 240 across with 120 of blank space, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Seems no good deed goes unpunished.
    I know that I bought my $500 Treo 750 so I can play games.
    I think the best of both worlds is 480x480 square vga... it's been a supported resolution for quite some time (although no devices use it). The application support would be similar to what we have now, except with greater resolution

however since that would technically be at least 2 steps up in the resolution... palm won't adopt it for what... maybe another year or 2?
    I've had too much trouble keeping the cynicism about Palm under control lately... sorry.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum View Post
    I think the best of both worlds is 480x480 square vga... it's been a supported resolution for quite some time (although no devices use it). The application support would be similar to what we have now, except with greater resolution

however since that would technically be at least 2 steps up in the resolution... palm won't adopt it for what... maybe another year or 2?
    I've had too much trouble keeping the cynicism about Palm under control lately... sorry.
    I believe the reason why there aren't any 480x480 devices is the cost of producing 480x480 LCD screens.

Not to mention you have to make a screen big enough to use square VGA, otherwise everything will be really small. The few devices that do use square screens don't have screens big enough to justify the use of 480x480 so the demand for them isn't very high.
    320x320 is more than adequate for a 2.5" screen.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    The reason I didn't purchase the Treo 750 and went with the 680 is because of the 240x240 screen. Once they release a Treo running Windows Mobile 6 with 320x320, 2MP camera, etc, I will most likely jump ship.

Palm OS JUST cuts it and the screen resolution and the camera thing are my only two irks with the 750.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    well the other thing about vga screens is that windows switches to a much higher dpi to compensate for everything ending up very small... thats why there are hacks available for vga devices that enable normal mode with bumped dpi for crisper pictures and "real vga" with normal dpi for greatly increased real estate at the expense of the size of icons etc
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I know that I bought my $500 Treo 750 so I can play games.
    hey ... we should be able to do anything we want on these phones ... isn't that why they cost such a premium ? If we just wanted e-mail, we would buy a blackberry, just games an nGage, or just IM a Sidkick. We want it all ....
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  13.    #13  
    I am very happy to hear Palm release a 320x320 screen on a Treo 800w. Palm is doing the right thing and is not to blame for this. This is a Microsoft issue. They programmed the OS to ignore any apps that are not "square aware." by allowing the screen to cut off part of the program or by using a scroll bar, when it didn't need to be like that.

Most business apps, e-mail, etc., are just fine on a 240x240 screen and bumping Pocket Excel up to 320x320 doesn't really do any justice anyway. 320 screens are great for picture viewing and graphics. A good example of graphics is games. That's why I tested several games. I could not care less about checking my e-mail in 240x240 or 320x320. Plus, games tend to be the least forgiving on compatibility, so at least it gives a worst case scenario of what may happen when a program that doesn't support a square screen even though there are enough pixels to run the entire thing.

Hopefully, someone will find a way to change the settings on this, if not from Microsoft.
    i would love to sling on this screen
    As a current owner of a Treo 700p who was just handed a 750 for work, this is great news. I've fallen in love with StyleTap and this new screen res means that we will be able to emulate PalmOS apps in full hi-res glory.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  16.    #16  
    I did some screen shots of the different screen resolutions. Pocket Internet Explorer gives you more on screen coverage in 320x320 than either 240x240 or 480x480!???

Below are screenshots in 240x240 then 320x320 and finally 480x480. All of these were using the emulator.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tempest790; 06/11/2007 at 01:53 PM.
    very interesting. 480x480 seems to actually get blurry in the middle
  18.    #18  
    Here's some more comparison screenshots using Streets and Trips on all three square resolutions. All three shots were the initial zoomed out map upon launch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest790 View Post
    Here's some more comparison screenshots using Streets and Trips on all three square resolutions. All three shots were the initial zoomed out map upon launch.
    Are you sure it is not just the emulator not rendering the image correctly? It looks like the dpi is not being adjusted...
    It's not the emulator. The DPI on 320x320 is adjusted for the screen, so all objects on screen should appear blown up.. unless the application is instructed not to do so.

Internet Explorer for 320 has been 'fixed' to not adjust the DPI within the frame (seen before here). Streets, however has been behaving like this forever and unfortunately has not been adjusted. I remember running it on the 640x480 resolution of the Axim x51 and almost crying, it looked so pixelated when everything else on that screen looked great.