Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    Like I said before the original photo was stretched horizontally and looked whacked. See my updated image earlier in the thread, it matches the new photo. And the screen is 320x320 I bet. With a touch screen.
    Actually I had looked at it closely. Changing the proportions of the screen to make it square just makes the device too narrow, IMO. And it doesn't change the fact that the screen is off-center, the d-pad is pixelated, keyboard is crooked (the top edge of the P key is closer to the silver band than that of the Q key), and the shape of the device is different from the photo (in the photo, the top is much flatter than the bottom).
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post

In your drawing, the screen is off-center, the screen proportions are about 320x300, the keyboard is crooked, and the d-pad is drawn in. The shape of the b&w device doesn't even match the photo.

As for the published color photo, why would the Sprint roadmap have a picture of a Vodaphone device? Is there another photo you're talking about?
    The b&w is clearly a mock-up, not a real picture samkim, why is it only you seem to think it's supposed to be a real stock photo?

It looks like your standard "here is what were are thinking" image, not an official promotional picture. If someone wanted to PS that and fool us, they could easily do a better job.

Do these look like "real" pictures too?
    http://blog.treonauts.com/TreoNitro.jpg

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The b&w is clearly a mock-up, not a real picture samkim, why is it only you seem to think it's supposed to be a real stock photo?

It looks like your standard "here is what were are thinking" image, not an official promotional picture. If someone wanted to PS that and fool us, they could easily do a better job.

You clearly have no clue of the distinction between a rendering and a photo. No one has stated anything regarding a stock photo.
    Mock-up, fake, whatever. If it's a crappy photoshop, it's more likely that it's a blogger trying to get attention than something distributed internally by Sprint.

You're obviously not familiar with the many photoshopped "new" devices. They're usually not very good.

Yes. They are.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    You're obviously not familiar with the many photoshopped "new" devices. They're usually not very good.
    Usually because they are based upon engineered renderings, not photos. What some are generically referring to as 'pics' should be more carefully considered before further assaults on their keyboard.
    I bet it is non-touch screen and uses the New Palm OS or WinMob std. Garnet (Palm Inc version) is great, but not 100%. This would have to be 100% if not stylus nearby. Maybe WinMob version for Europe and Plinux version for CDMA?
    Patrick Horne
    [QUOTE=Mpaper;1281541]
    Well, the original b&w image was very Photoshopped. It was fake. That hasn't changed. The screen, the d-pad, and the keyboard. They're all fake, and they're all different from the color photo. So no apologies.

You don't want to apologies, that's fine with us! But dude, drop it, please. The B&W photo was posted as described earlier. Seeing that we were being excused of "Photoshoping" My source went on and Published the actual color photo from the Sprint roadmap himself. The display is the display, that's how Palm sent it to the Sprint team. We did not touch the the photo!

But we will continue to bring Palm fans news as soon as we get it, the way we get it! We endeavor to be another fun source of information and discussion. We haven't and will not jeopardize that opportunity! We feel lucky that we have an avenue to bring you this sort of news and stimulate Palm talk!

As far as the Gandolf goes, I don't think it's particulary all that good looking. But I do think it "will" hit it's targeted audience, which is a good thing for all of us. It just might keep them in business long enough to release the darn 800p, which with the specs that I have, is the phone we all want! You may or may not have seen our post on the 800w that will be released on Sprint around the same time as the Gandolf. It has wifi enabled. Wrong OS but step in the right direction.

Please post the spec's on the Treo 800p
    [QUOTE=morningstar1844;1281707]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpaper View Post

Please post the spec's on the Treo 800p
    agreed!

Please post what you have in for "potential" 800P specs.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Screen Sizes Interchangeable. Check this out.

The white Vodaphone (GSM) model with the WMstd screenshot & different app keys has a landscape QVGA.
    It has greater wasted space above the screen to the top of the device, and below the screen to the app/phone "belt". Also, the space from the outside edges of the display to the sides is less. It sports a landscape screen.

The black unbranded model is obviously a digitally enhanched touchup.
    If it's an actual rendering of the device, then look at the screen in proportion with the device. The upper and lower areas are lessened by the taller screen, and the outside edges are increased due to the thinner square screen. The actual photo has a 7:6 screen ratio, but the screen shot is obviously added on digitally, just like they do most web images. Looks like I'm the only one with genuine photos round here.
    The black device uses the 320x320 square display and Palm OS, hopefully the Linux version unless Palm is shifting FrankyG to the entry levels and Plinux to the upper line and Foleo Monster Laptop Killer.

Note. The black device has palm directly in front of the phone speaker, whereas the WinMob version has the logo to the left and an obvious speaker indention. The black device looks smoothly rounded at the top edges, while the white has the little rolled lip.

Note v2.0. Palm is obviously soon to release this device. Their "leak machine" is acting like normal. Trickling out a few unclear shots here and there to create a buzz, before the announcement.

Note v3.0. Looks like the front face of the device is flat. I wonder if the rear is shaped with a rounded form, in keeping with the rounded edges.

** Photos of the rear of unit on pocketpcmag.com **

They are calling it Mercury and not Gandolf. Are those dedicated MP3 buttons on the side? Also looks like the reset button hole is back.

http://tinyurl.com/39fdqg

... :-D
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    ** Photos of the rear of unit on pocketpcmag.com **

They are calling it Mercury and not Gandolf. Are those dedicated MP3 buttons on the side? Also looks like the reset button hole is back.

http://tinyurl.com/39fdqg

Those are pictures of the horrible Imate JAQ, the very definition of a brick

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Note v2.0. Palm is obviously soon to release this device. Their "leak machine" is acting like normal. Trickling out a few unclear shots here and there to create a buzz, before the announcement.[/URL]

Bingo! With all the Palm news out lately (Foleo, the "mac team" coming in, that Cnet article talking about a "come back" for Palm, etc.) it really does look like these are purposefully leaked pics to catch buzz (the antenna-less Treo pics were coincidently leaked to "chinese websites" as well).

Palm surely seems capable of keeping devices secret and letting them trickle out when they want.

Interesting post btw. It still looks kinda fat though, but I'm thinking maybe that's just b/c we don't have the full proportions in perspective yet.

No camera either?

Update: Just read surur's post and that makes sense too...Imates are pretty horrible looking, lol

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    If that is indeed the back of the phone, then its truely lol in the epic proportion. Are we supposed to build a fortress with these?
    See here.
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/7035.html

The I-mate CEO said the device was made purposely ugly so no-one would steal it.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Those are pictures of the horrible Imate JAQ, the very definition of a brick
    Yeah, it was just wild speculation that the Inventec device was for Palm:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/02...ury_pda_phone/
    The I-mate CEO said the device was made purposely ugly so no-one would steal it.
    Lol. Good plan. If no one buys it no one steals it
    It's make sense to have the Palm version 320x320 and the WM Smartphone edition as 320x240, since that is what the Q, Dash and BJ are, hence any "screen differences" between the mock-up and the photo.
    I'd like to see Palm go for landscape. It seems more natural somehow.
    Is there a PalmOS that works completely without a touch screen?
    Garnet is really very close. I don't think it would take a lot of tweaking at all. OTOH, the touchscreen is really what I miss most since moving to an S60 device. Damn shame if they give it up in my view.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    I'd like to see Palm go for landscape.
    ...but not if the space below the screen is poorly used:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/images/palm-gandolf-c.jpg
    Thanks for crashing the party their surur. Actually, remember the Inventec Mercury that got FCCed. That's the first thing I thot of when I saw the Vodaphone version.
    Patrick Horne
    Engadget Mobile has a pretty un-fake looking pic up. Not many details, but they claim a $200 price, making it an entry level device, and that it will be running Garnet.
    We'll see that new Palm OS Real Soon Now™.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast