1.    #1  
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...periority.html

The article quotes research which indicates that if you are familiar with a particular user interface you will assert its superiority.

This means that the PalmOS people may be clinging to the Palm user interface and its superiority/simplicity due to familiarity, and not because it is in fact "superior" in some way. Even though they think it really is superior.

I was in that group. I long believed the PalmOS to be "better" because it was "easier" or "prettier" or something.

Then I took the pains of learning to use a WM device (the "harder/clumsier/etc. UI"). Now I am less likely to switch back to a PalmOS device than I was 6 months ago. In fact now I am pretty much platform agnostic and will entertain any old operating system for my next phone.

If true, the implications for Palm, Inc. are not good. The longer they dink around and tee off the PalmOS faithful, the more of us will peel off and find out that the other "inferior" operating systems are actually quite OK, thank you.

On the other hand as long as WM, Symbian, et al. are being "OK" with their user bases and not ticking them off royally with poopy phones and defective maintenance releases, those users will stick with (and not defect from) the user interface with which they are familiar.
    Heard that on the CNET podcast....Interesting theology. Give me WM6 with the HTC TouchFly (or whatever its called) interface but keep a Treo keyboard and that might help me migrate. But if the Linux Palm OS doesnt please, then I am definitely getting off the sinking ship!
    I am on the fence right now. I have had my 650 for three years now and I an ready for a change. I am on cingular/At&T network. but from what I hear the 680 and 750 have terrible battery life. I am interested in iphone but have never owned any mac products. Also, I understand you can't install third party apps. Is the 750 a worth wild upgrade or should I just wait and see what palm has instore with this linux handheld coming at the end of this year?
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    There are extended batteries for the 750. But I wouldnt make a move until AFTER Palm intros the Linux based Treo. The iPhone would be nice, and they havent really released details about whether the platform will be open or all apps will go through Apple. I doubt it will be a smartphone replacement, but it sure looks to be a helluva media-rich feature phone.
  5.    #5  
    I have the 750. You will get used to the new UI. Some things are easier and some are harder. Battery life is a bit sucky so I have 2 batteries plus of course i charge at home and at work.

Hey . . . what i just wrote doesnt sound like a ringing endorsement for the 750. Hmmm.
  6.    #6  
    Oh. Software for WM. It is there. Lots of it. Handango and the other usual suspects. TC of course -- support them where you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Hey . . . what i just wrote doesnt sound like a ringing endorsement for the 750. Hmmm.
    Ringing endorsements are always suspect. Either the person is hiding something, or the product is such a good fit for that person, that it would be a bad fit for nearly everyone else except his clone.

WM is good and getting better, but one can easily recognize its faults in the tacked in one-handedness and overly complex access to apps and options. A man can get used to anything except a tack in his shoe. He'll never be able to stand that. However I am sure most people could stand to give WM a try.

The Iphone religion though .... I cant stand that...

Surur
    In fact now I am pretty much platform agnostic and will entertain any old operating system for my next phone.
    +1 for me. For some others, the amount they have invested in software and accessories also results in loyalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Are the conclusions of this study really a surprise to anyone?

That's why manufacturers pay millions to advertise--to create familiarity.

"Superiority" is too subjective to define.

Palm has lossed my loyalty, I am sorry but no phone should have lag and for Palm to release the 755p with the lag still present some of time is unexcuseable (remember last Dec Steve S said the lag is inherent to the hardware design so the phone does have a defect. I will try the BB and may come back to Palm. But unless the Treo 800 improves design some and include wifi like some other web sites have indicated. They have lossed their customer base and loyality. Why is it long time Palm users are starting to look to other phones. I was in a AT&T (Cingular store today) and I said the Palm was lacking as a phone to other personnel. Look at the phones BB has released this year and may still release more this year. Just hope Palm does not rush the Treo 800-900 series to market for another round of beta testers. A year to release an update. Look at Meryln, (first kid on the block to have a Treo 700p and did not compensate him when they took it back) Meryln has left the pack. Haven't heard anything from Perry lately. Will the silly season ever start again?
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Palm has lossed my loyalty, I am sorry but no phone should have lag and for Palm to release the 755p with the lag still present some of time is unexcuseable (remember last Dec Steve S said the lag is inherent to the hardware design so the phone does have a defect.
    That's not a defect, that is a conscious design decision.

It takes time to erase NVRAM. It takes time to read it and write it. The memory in a Treo is basically the same as an SD card, and you note those don't write at blinding speeds, either.

So, yes, it does take a few seconds to switch apps sometimes because some of them need to clean up after themselves as they exit.

If you don't like that, that's fine, but make sure you're not liking it for the correct reason.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars View Post
    That's not a defect, that is a conscious design decision.

It takes time to erase NVRAM. It takes time to read it and write it. The memory in a Treo is basically the same as an SD card, and you note those don't write at blinding speeds, either.

So, yes, it does take a few seconds to switch apps sometimes because some of them need to clean up after themselves as they exit.

If you don't like that, that's fine, but make sure you're not liking it for the correct reason.

Tom
    Its true this is inherent in the design of PalmOS, as it constantly replicated SDRAM to NAND NVFS, but of course not all mobile OS platforms try to do this.

Surur
    Isn't this true with human nature in general though? We all tend to go with what is familiar. Look at the divorced people you know. How many of them end up marrying someone just like their ex?