Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    saw this over at hofo...

755 7/4 (delayed, was originally supposed to be 5/9)

800w 9/13

http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...&postcount=327
    The fourth of July eh?

Not doubting the source but it does seem like an odd day to release a phone.

Hey honey how about you me and the kids go down to our nearest Verizon store and get that new (post beta 700P) Treo 755P?...

Oh but honey we promised my mom we would be there on time this year for the fireworks!

I know baby but I thought we could make a day of it instead at the Verizon store? The kids will have so much to do there.

All meant in the highest form of jest possible and the least ammount of offense possible.

ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Okay, so 800w? When will the 800p grace our pockets?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    If that is true, I wonder when there will be a GSM version for AT&T.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    That 800w better not be just a 750w with WM6 and a 320x320 screen. I want more innovation.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    My prediction? Sprint will quietly release a 755w late this summer. It'll be IDENTICAL to the 755p but running WM6. Verizon will then counter with a 800w this fall. It'll BASICALLY be a 755w but with a handful of 'improvements'.

I'd figure a 2mp camera w/ flash and wi-fi to be the most likely additions.

Of course, I cannot help but shake the feeling that Verizon might want to have a 1-2 punch of a "global" Treo AND BlackBerry.

Sprint & Verizon probably figure they can trade off "exclusives" back and forth and wring more products out of Palm in this manner.
    Here's my prediction for the 800w.

Exact same form factor as the 755, but it runs windows. That's it.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jw68 View Post
    That 800w better not be just a 750w with WM6 and a 320x320 screen. I want more innovation.
    From Palm? Let's face it ... The Treo is just a Palm-licensed design that is owned by HTC. If/When HTC and Palm ever collaborate on a new design, it'll be all over the net a year before it goes into network testing.

As for the 800w, the most innovation you may get [besides OS 'tweaks'] are slightly different shaped and/or located hard buttons. That's it. Bank on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Okay, so 800w? When will the 800p grace our pockets?
    RUmors are that Sprint actually decide to pass over on the "800p" and is planning on leveraging on WM for future Treo growth... Unsure if this is true though...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    There is no Treo 755w and won't be.

Treo 800w:

- 320x320
    - WM6
    - Rev A
    - More memory
    - Thinner/internal antenna

Possibly new design altogether.

As for people saying "innovation" I'm not really sure what can be done on these devices that is truly radical in design. HTC has pretty much covered all the possibilities:

- front keyboard, small screen
    - slide keyboard, large screen
    - slide keyboard, dial pad, small screen
    - full screen, no keyboard (+/- TouchFLO)

Those are pretty much your choices. Then play with screens (VGA or QVGA, but VGA surely seems to be the exception here). Throw in the now standard memory 256/128. Your 3g radio. Wifi maybe yes, maybe no. Out do the competition on thinness and "sleekness".

If you want to get crazy, add a front light sensor for auto-dimming.

At least Palm nails the WM OS and their treatment of WM6 looks fantastic from the demo.

That is 95% of the WM devices out there and no one really complains. Honestly, how different is a Q from a Dash from a Blackjack? It's all minor cosmetic differences that many refer to as "innovation".

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    As for people saying "innovation" I'm not really sure what can be done on these devices that is truly radical in design. HTC has pretty much covered all the possibilities:

- front keyboard, small screen
    - slide keyboard, large screen
    - slide keyboard, dial pad, small screen
    - full screen, no keyboard (+/- TouchFLO)
    Wasn't this about Treo design? And no one asked for anything radical, although it may be about time for Palm to inspire some market confidence.

Just to address some antiquated design issues, how about a keyboard which seriously challenges RIM's best after all these years? Does this require a slightly wider device? Yes, but it can be managed within another .125". Better formed keyboard keys which are slightly more flattened than concaved. No one likes keys which protrude into their fingertip/thumb when pressed.

Hard keys which are more integrated with the body rather than the bolted-on approach would certainly be welcome. Every other maker on the planet has wrapped their collective brain around that.
    If there isn't going to be any true innovation then how about a little one-upsmanship and come out with a 480X480 screen and WiFi. I'm really looking forward to the new Sprint PPC6800, but give me a Treo with 480X480 and WiFi and I will be all over it.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I predict the 755p to be launched on Verizon Wireless.

Treo 800w will be the form factor of the Treo 750 but for CDMA with Windows Mobile 6.0, 2.0MP camera, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, lack of WIFI. I really don't see Palm including WIFI, just yet. Let alone when these companies are Data happy!

I think a Treo with both CDMA and GSM technologies is VERY unlikely. Palm will boost GSM Treo's in the future if the CDMA carriers are advertising world use. Personally I find it stupid to stick a CDMA and GSM chipset in one phone... what is the advantage? If you want to roam internationaly, buy a GSM handset and get it over with!

I currently have a Treo 680 and am loving it. However the second a Treo with this same form factor with UMTS/ HSDPA, 2.0MP camera, 256MB of flash memory, and a lil updated version of Palm OS ships, im proncing! I dont want a miniSD card slot like the 750/755p series have. I want to buy a 4,8, or 16GB SD card and don't want to have to loose this and have to purchase a high capacity miniSD card! lol
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Some people need a world phone with data access. I am currently evaluating a Verizon BB 8830 for my company and I must admit, it is a very good device. It is thin, light, has a nice screen and the battery life is far superior to Treos and other PDAs. The 8830 has an embedded SIM card so you can travel overseas with it. This way Verizon and eventually Sprint won't lose customers because they can't use their Blackberries when on an overseas trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    I predict the 755p to be launched on Verizon Wireless.
    You don't need to predict it, the release date has already been posted!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I work for an indirect agent and our master agent for Verizon had a show this past thursday. All the manufacturers were there including Palm. I did get a chance to play with the Verizon branded 755p. Very sharp screen, great reception, fast while browsing. It looks like the color that has been chosen for it is a dark green. I was impressed with the speed when changing between menus. It was much faster than my 650 that I had way back when.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post

That's the Treo 750.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post

NOT IMPRESSIVE!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jw68 View Post
    Some people need a world phone with data access. I am currently evaluating a Verizon BB 8830 for my company and I must admit, it is a very good device. It is thin, light, has a nice screen and the battery life is far superior to Treos and other PDAs. The 8830 has an embedded SIM card so you can travel overseas with it. This way Verizon and eventually Sprint won't lose customers because they can't use their Blackberries when on an overseas trip.
    with Sprint you can buy a cheap sim when traveling abroad at a cheaper rate than the Verizon version. Oh well maybe we will have a choice in Dec. Palm really needs to release information about the features of future phones with expected dates. But this they will not do. When did we get some specs on the BB 8830? Wasn't it in Feb?
    Has anybody heard any changes to the July 4th release date for the 755p or is it still on schedule?

Thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast