1.    #1  
    I currently have a 700wx with Sprint and I'm happy with it. IF I switch to AT&T, I would get the 750 because I know my accessories would work with it and its basically the same phone.

So this question is more of a comparison of services available.

Has anyone used both Cingular/AT&T and Sprint? What are your opinions of the two networks?

Sprint has recently started dropping calls around my house, and their in-door coverage seems to be poor lately.

Right now I have a shared plan on Sprint, $69.99 for 700 minutes, $10 for Vision, $10 for 1000 SMS, unlimited n&w at 7pm, no roaming, free m2m.

One hit I would take would be going from EV-DO to AT&T's slower network because 3G isn't available at my house (zip code 60112).

Now, I would be looking for the same amount of minutes, and AT&T's website shows that is priced similar, but n&w is 9 I believe.

AT&T shows PDA Personal Max is $40 for unlimited data and 1500 bolt-on, but nothing explains what bolt-on is.

What do you guys think? Anyone have personal experiences with the two companies?

I know this could start a flaming post, and I know its all a matter of opinion, but I'm looking for experiences. Why should I stick with Sprint, why should I switch?
    In the past year, I have switched from Cingular to Sprint, back to Cingular and now back to Sprint. I have used the 700wx and the 750 (as well as the 650 and 700p and now 755p, but that's not your question).

I originally switched to Sprint because I wanted data and did not want to pay for the $40 data plan. With Sprint's SERO, all I paid was $30 for voice and data. I found that Sprint's service wasn't as good as Cingular. There were many places where I had service with Cingular but not Sprint.

A few months later, I started a new job and Sprint wasn't working at my place, so I switched back to Cingular and purchased the 750. Besides the form factor, I found the 750 very similar to the 700wx. Phone alone, I'd pick the 750 over the 700wx because of the form factor. If they were both working, I'd say 3g is much better than EVDO. You can talk on the phone and check your email at the same time with 3G but not with EVDO. With that said, 3G wasn't working right all the time, or even most of the time. I'm in the big city with a very good 3G service, but it was still very very crappy. I wasn't getting 3G most of the time and even when I was, data would not remain on when I was on a phone call.

Soooooooo, 5 months after going back to Cingular, I switched back to Sprint. I decided to go back to the SERO plan and pay $30 for the service. I'm still keeping Cingular for voice only. It's cheaper for me to get a separate voice and data plan with Cingular and Sprint than getting a data add on with Cingular.

AT&T's PDA Personal Max is $40 for unlimited data and 1500 text messages. For $5 extra ($45 total) you would get unlimited data, 1500 text and unlimited mobile to mobile text.

For $30 with Sprint, I get 500 anytime minutes, unlimited M-M, 7pm early nights, unlimited data and unlimited text.

FWIW, my 700wx had no signal in my office but my 755p now has full strength, both with Sprint.

To answer your question:

Between the 700wx or the 750, I'd pick the 750. I liked the antenna and loved the treo, but once I started playing with the 750 using it, the form factor was great.

Between Cingular and Sprint, I say Cingular's voice (signal and quality) is better. When I'm on the phone, I find that Cingular is clearer than Sprint. I'm not sure why. As far as data is concerned, I think Sprint's EVDO is still better and more stable than Cingular's 3g.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info techiegirl. That's exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately it still makes for a difficult decision lol.

Simultaneous voice and data isn't really necessary.

So $40 for unlimited data and 1500 text messages. I'm pay $20 right now for unlimited data and 1000 text messages. So that's still more, but not quite as bad lol.

I honestly don't really use the internet very much. I occassionally check email, weather, and sports scores. I'll use it to download the occassional .cab file if I'm not sync'd with the PC. Other than that, I don't really use the internet much.

I know you mentioned simultaneous voice and data. I don't believe EV-DO will do that, BUT if I'm actively using EV-DO, it will cut it off so I can receive a call. If I'm not using Cingular's 3G but using their regular internet, will phone calls still come through?
    With 3G, you are supposed to get simultaneous voice and data. I find that I don't get it most of the time. If you are not using 3G, you can use data and your phone calls will still come through. When you're on the phone, though, you will not be able to use data. It's the same with Sprint's EVDO.

Are you sure Cingular will work well at your home, work, etc?

Last year, we were convinced Verizon was the best way to go because everybody we knew had great service on Verizon. We even ported our phone numbers over right away. THEN....we took the phone home and found that it did not work at our house at all. A week later..we ported our phone #'s back to Cingular.

Just a bit of advice..try the service out first.
    I love at&t. I do not hear that well. My wife will tell you that. Voice quality and the ability to use data and talk at the same time is great. If you are only texting and simple emails, edge is not that bad. When 3G does improve, at&t will be better than Sprint. If i were to have two phones I might have the palm 755P on sprint and get the iPhone for at&t. I am a mac user and osx apeals to me as an operating system.

MY 2 cents.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
    With 3G, you are supposed to get simultaneous voice and data. I find that I don't get it most of the time. If you are not using 3G, you can use data and your phone calls will still come through. When you're on the phone, though, you will not be able to use data. It's the same with Sprint's EVDO.

Are you sure Cingular will work well at your home, work, etc?

Last year, we were convinced Verizon was the best way to go because everybody we knew had great service on Verizon. We even ported our phone numbers over right away. THEN....we took the phone home and found that it did not work at our house at all. A week later..we ported our phone #'s back to Cingular.

Just a bit of advice..try the service out first.
    I have no idea how well Cingular would work at my house. I know it'll work at my job because someone here has 4 bars in the building where I get 1-2 with Sprint.

I wouldn't port any numbers over right away. If anything, I would sign up for service and get one phone to "try", then if it works good, I would port my number and add the 2nd line, and if it doesn't, I would cancel and just pay for the 1 month.

I know I can't get 3G at my house (yet), it looks like the border for that is about 20-30 miles east of me.

I know EDGE is slower than EV-DO, but what about 3G? How does that compare to EV-DO rev. 0 and rev. A?
    EVDO is faster than Edge. UMTS is faster than EVDO and HSDPA is faster than UMTS

Speed is like this: Edge, EVDO, UMTS, followed by HSDPA.
  8.    #8  
    So if the map in my area says 3G is not available, does that mean its all EDGE? Are UMTS and HSDPA both 3G?
    It could either be Edge or GPRS. GPRS is slower than Edge, I believe.

UMTs and HSDPA are both 3G. UMTS is about 300-500 and HSDPA is about 700-900.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
    It could either be Edge or GPRS. GPRS is slower than Edge, I believe.

UMTs and HSDPA are both 3G. UMTS is about 300-500 and HSDPA is about 700-900.
    Hmmm, that makes it really interesting. I would consider it if it was EDGE, but if GPRS is even slower, then I don't think its an option.

I guess I'll have to get a phone and try it.
    sprint dose not work where i live so i cant help you with that but, I'm on a smartphone plane for 19.99 with cingular. works that same as the 40 pda connect plan lol. they just don't know it!!