1.    #1  
    How big is a phone radio anyway? How about a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth or Infrared radio? Couldn't they just all be combined onto some type of a card or chip? Couldn't the wireless companies just sell these Mobile Radio Cards or Chips (patent pending) along with thier plans? It would slide or plug into devices made by others. Standards could be developed and anyone who who wanted to make a phone could build them in any size or shape, with or without features. I wonder if FCC approval for each individual device that uses this card would be needed or if just the card would need approval?

You could also slip or plug this "Mobile Radio Card or Chip" into many different devices. I could carry my treo at work and use an ultra light phone at night or whatever. Slip it into my computer if I wanted to, or heaven forbid even a foleo. I'm sure they could make a bluetooth headset work for calls while it was in my computer.

I don't know? The current way things are done seems very inefficient. People like Jeff Hawkins could develop things that didn't need to be approved by the carriers or the FCC. They could spend their time building really cool "mobile radio card companions" MRCC.
    Last edited by scsanden; 06/05/2007 at 10:57 PM.
    Yeah, I'm sure they could. But that would require at least two things.
    (1) Manufactures would have to deal with the fact that somebody else's MRC could be used in their phone.
    (2) This one's the biggie - the carriers would have to deal with the fact that any phone that can do any thing can be put onto their network. They would definently not like that, as the carriers are particularly fond of having control from the bottom up.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden View Post
    How big is a phone radio anyway? How about a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth or Infrared radio? Couldn't they just all be combined onto some type of a card or chip? Couldn't the wireless companies just sell these Mobile Radio Cards or Chips (patent pending) along with thier plans? It would slide or plug into devices made by others. Standards could be developed and anyone who who wanted to make a phone could build them in any size or shape, with or without features. I wonder if FCC approval for each individual device that uses this card would be needed or if just the card would need approval?

You could also slip or plug this "Mobile Radio Card or Chip" into many different devices. I could carry my treo at work and use an ultra light phone at night or whatever. Slip it into my computer if I wanted to, or heaven forbid even a foleo. I'm sure they could make a bluetooth headset work for calls while it was in my computer.

I don't know? The current way things are done seems very inefficient. People like Jeff Hawkins could develop things that didn't need to be approved by the carriers or the FCC. They could spend their time building really cool "mobile radio card companions" MRCC.

This technology already exist on GSM Networks. The "card" you refer to is called a "SIM". Definition: Subscriber Identity Module; a smart card containing the telephone number of the subscriber, encoded network identification details, the PIN and many other user data such as the phone book. A user's SIM card can be moved from phone to phone as it contains all the key information required to activate the phone.

In the U.S., the major carriers that use this technology are AT&T and T-Mobile. By the way, over 80% of the world's Wireless Carriers use this technology in their cell phones. I am on AT&T and use my Treo during the day, for work etc. But on weekends, or when I go out, I take my SIM card out of my Treo and put it in my Razr. It's great. It already has my contacts on it and everything. That is one of the BEST features of a GSM Network and the fact that I can ROAM pretty much anywhere in the world.
    Yea SIM cards do provide that functionality... but i think that if we're going hogwild fantasizing...
    the radio inside the treo doesn't take up too much room... it's about the size of a CF card (not exactly but close). but obviously as we've seen with all those "worlds thinnest" handsets, it can be made smaller. What would be the killer app for me is the ability to switch between GSM/CDMA/Whatever in the same phone... for example... i've got a lot vested in CDMA, i have very little use for GSM since i don't travel internationally much... however it seems like all the best devices are GSM only...I'm currently looking to pick up an HTC universal to replace my recently dead ipaq... but i have no use for the GSM phone aspect of the device... and there are very few options (if any) for a prepay data-only phone plan... if i were able to have the gsm radio swapped out for a cdma variant, i would be very happy. obviously this can't happen right now... but it is an interesting idea that probably has little benefit on a large scale... it would confuse normal people- but for those of us who would be able to utilize it, it would be great
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)