Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi folks,
    Longtime happy Palm user, still toting my Treo 650 and find it indispensible in my medical work.
    Many have commented on the imminent demise of Palm. Palm may confound all by persevering and innovating. But until they show us something flashy, here's my take on what would topple Palm.

The iPhone. How? Easy. Apple's first iteration will not allow 3rd party software. But if they want the PDA market, and I'm sure they do, they will relent and allow 3rd party software. The shift is already occurring, see the quotes from Steve Jobs in today's NY Times article, quoted below. Then some bright programmer writes a Palm emulator for the iPhone, and that's it. A tidal wave of migration from Palm to iPhone because the iPhone can run all the Palm software via the emulator. Given how stable and successful Apple has been (I'm an Apple user of 25 years), I would switch as soon as Palm software ran on an iPhone.

Here's the article excerpt:

"... One potentially crucial factor in determining the iPhone’s success that has yet to be clarified by the company: How willing is Apple to permit independent software vendors to develop programs for the iPhone? When he introduced the phone in January, Mr. Jobs seemed unwilling to permit outside software development. He said that opening that door would tend to raise both security and stability issues that were unacceptable in the wireless handset market.

Last week, however, at the D: All Things Digital conference, he seemed to relent. He said Apple was looking for ways to make it possible for developers to create software for the iPhone.

A person briefed on Apple’s plans said that at its software developer conference this month, Apple intends to announce that it will make it possible for developers of small programs written for the Macintosh to easily convert them to run on the iPhone."

- Josh
    Interesting.. the Iphone runs the same resolution as a Tx...

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Given how stable and successful Apple has been (I'm an Apple user of 25 years), I would switch as soon as Palm software ran on an iPhone.
    Wouldn't that then make the iPhone unstable? Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously, I just don't see Palm apps running on an iPhone without some major reworking. I suppose a StyleTap-like program is possible but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Was StyleTap responsible for large numbers of PalmOS users migrating to Windows Mobile? I'd figure that Palm compatibility on the iPhone would have less of an impact than StyleTap did.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Was StyleTap responsible for large numbers of PalmOS users migrating to Windows Mobile? I'd figure that Palm compatibility on the iPhone would have less of an impact than StyleTap did.
    I agree with what you wrote, but... it would make a difference for me. If there was a Palm emulation software on the iPhone - that would be enough for me to jump ship.

I was also curious how well/bad the experience was using StyleTap in emulating Palm OS on windows.....

-alf
    One inherent problem with Styletap is that WM devices and Palm devices are almost exclusively operating on different screen shapes and sizes.

Palm OS (primarily)
    160x160
    320x320
    320x480

WinMob (primarily)
    240x320
    240x240
    480x640

None of those make for a very pretty fit on the WM devices. Thus it runs in a window etc.

The iPhone is different. It has HVGA just like Palm PDAs and could simply use the bottom 1/3 of the screen for other uses when running square apps. 160x160 only apps are going away anyhoo. Less creativity would probably be required and better results would occur on the iPhone.

Done and marketed right, this would put a serious smackdown on Palm.
    Patrick Horne
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post

Done and marketed right, this would put a serious smackdown on Palm.
    I do wonder where this will push Treo with new models/functionality. Sometimes it takes competition to advance technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by mugsy77 View Post
    I do wonder where this will push Treo with new models/functionality. Sometimes it takes competition to advance technology.
    I agree with Mugsy77. I think coming iphone will and has let a fire under palms but to give us something besides and incremental improvement models of the treo 650.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    That's what it took in the hey-day of Palm, when the other big licensee was Sony, and they were putting out some kickass devices. Back then was when we got beauties like the Vx, the Tungsten T, and the T3. Until recently, Palm hasn't faced stiff competition in the smartphone market, and they don't seem to be realizing what's up. I suppose the iPhone will be a bit of a kick to the groin for them.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    You couldn't give me the iPhone for free. (Well unless I was allowed to sell it)

Has anyone even taken into consideration, the touch screen keyboard?

Think about that for a second..

Its going to be hell to type on unless you've got no problem carrying 2 extra stili in your pocket.

If it had a hardware keyboard, I'm all for it.. but for now I give it a thumbs down..

Not even to mention how much screen space the keyboard takes up and how ugly the screen is going to look after even a minutes use.

You people must love finger prints all over your screens.. Either that or you have no sweat glands so you cant leave a smudge.

Think about all of the screen wiping you'll have to do.. Scratches would probably develope within the 1st weeks use.. If there's even a microfiber of dirt on your pant leg or shirt when you go to wipe your screen.. Merry Christmas! You've just received your 1st scratch on your $500.00 phone.

If anyone reading this owns a black iPod video or Nano.. They know exactly what I mean.. Apple always uses the same kind of plastic in every product they make, laptops,ipods,desltops.. etc.. its either that type of substantially polished plastic, or anodized aluminum.. Sure the plastic they use looks just amazing when you 1st get it... But as I'm looking at my ipod right now it looks like hell.. It never goes anywhere but in my pocket and in the console of my car where it sits stationary in a little velvet holder.. Its scratched to hell pretty much from just going in and out of a pocket.. Never even dropped it once within about the years time that ive had this one.. but glad to say Ive had my 700wx for roughly two months and its still in mint condition.. anyways just wanted to point out, what atleast I think, is a huge flaw.
    Last edited by KevinHuffman; 06/05/2007 at 07:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinHuffman View Post
    Personally, If someone gave me the iPhone, But under the condition that I couldnt sell it, It had to be my everyday use phone.. Or else some drastic measures would be taken.. Id tell them to give it to someone else..

Has anyone even taken into consideration, the touch screen keyboard?

Think about that for a second..

Its going to be hell to type on unless you feel like carrying 2 extra stili in your pocket.

If it had a hardware keyboard, I'm all for it.. but for now I give it a thumbs down..

Not even to mention how much screen space the keyboard takes up.
    It does not work with styluses, only fingers, just like those touch lamps. Even fingernails do not work.

Surur
    Yeah, maybe. It will certainly shake em'. But what bewilders me is that Palm ALREADY has overwhelming technical competition and still keeps laying eggs. HTC has basically went off like a smart-bomb right in the middle of Palm's playground. How does Palm retaliate? By changing the colors and number schemes on it's new Treos and advertising em' like crazy.

Where is WiFi? I'm not even talking G! Where is BT 2.0 with EDR? Where is full SDHC support? Where is GPS? Where is a 3.5mm headset jack on a a device that has BT wireless for the headset? This is 2007, not 2004.

Looking at it that way makes me wonder if the iPhone will have any impact whatsoever.

** If it had a hardware keyboard, I'm all for it.. but for now I give it a thumbs down. **

I agree with your assessment. The interface will make that a 2-handed device. But, was that a pun? :-)
    Patrick Horne
    Ok, well if you have somewhat big hands like me.. Have fun. With the way the layout looks.. It seems like a normal thumb could eaisily cover 2 maybe 3 keys.. unless in landscape orentation. still even then.. with looking at the dimesions.. a normal thumb would have trouble just pressing a single key..

Pretty much, have fun typing with your pinkys in portrait view.. have fun typing with your index fingers in landscape.
    I'm sure Archie would tell you it uses advanced predictive mapping, allowing you to just type in the vicinity of the letter to get the right letter. Of course he also claims that it senses when your finger gets close to the keys and enlarges the keys. You know, that magic 5 years ahead advanced technology that only Apple has.

And you don't need to worry about landscape typing - the Iphone doesn't have any.

Surur
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Here's a path to Palm's demise. There will be a power struggle between the Apple execs and Jeff Hawkins, forcing the company into chaos. Jon leaves the company by announcing his retirement again, after witnessing iMess.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    And you don't need to worry about landscape typing - the Iphone doesn't have any.

Surur

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/137/3...8509248a_m.jpg

There's your landscape keyboard.. Leaves about a half inch of screen space.. Isn't that awesome.
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/137/3...8509248a_m.jpg

There's your landscape keyboard.. Leaves about a half inch of screen space.. Isn't that awesome.
    Ooh! First time I saw that. I retract my statement then

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Ooh! First time I saw that. I retract my statement then

Surur
    You're even more excited now, someone just give him a free one when they come out!

If that ever does arise to where someone wants to give me a free iPhone, But I have to use it and cant sell it, I'll make sure they PM you haha
    Ok, well if you have somewhat big hands like me.. Have fun. With the way the layout looks.. It seems like a normal thumb could eaisily cover 2 maybe 3 keys.. unless in landscape orentation. still even then.. with looking at the dimesions.. a normal thumb would have trouble just pressing a single key..

Pretty much, have fun typing with your pinkys in portrait view.. have fun typing with your index fingers in landscape.
    I don't generally like on -screen keyboards, but this is one argument I just don't get. How can the spacing on the screen be any tighter and harder to hit than the dinky keys on the Treo and Blackjack keyboards (and I'm a Blackjack user/proponent)?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    But what bewilders me is that Palm ALREADY has overwhelming technical competition and still keeps laying eggs.
    Let's hope Palm's next egg is a golden egg. The worst thing about going with the flow is when you have no choice, and this will be the case if Palm doesn't pop something soon.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast