Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
    How can the spacing on the screen be any tighter and harder to hit than the dinky keys on the Treo and Blackjack keyboards (and I'm a Blackjack user/proponent)?
    well think about it this way... imagine if your pc keyboard was touch screen..(even though the keys are surely big enough for just about anyones hands) you no longer have the feel of the hardware keyboard to make sure you're just pressing one key at a time, and not 2 or 3 incorrect keys..

imagine typing without looking on a touch, pc sized keyboard.. can you tell me you wouldnt make any mistakes?

anyways the point im trying to make is that every time you need to use the keyboard on your iPhone, unless you have no problem being completely focused durring operation.. then its for you..

but if you use your phone frequently while driving, walking, etc.. , like i do, the iPhone wont be very fun to operate.
    I am curious what the life-span of the iphone display will be. It seems like display is right on the surface of the phone making it delicate. I my palms screen where a little sunken in given it a little protection.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    I'm also going to be intrigued by battery life on the iPhone. It seems a multi-media focussed device which could lead to unacceptably short battery life for serious phone use. Honestly, I think it will be an acceptably successful device, but not the grand slam so many are predicting.

More on point, I am actually pretty excited about Palm's future, going with linux, having control of its own OS and getting an infusion of talent and cash. Honestly, it's in a good position and has plenty in place to make some noise over the next couple years and beyond.

Gargoyle
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    I am curious what the life-span of the iphone display will be. It seems like display is right on the surface of the phone making it delicate. I my palms screen where a little sunken in given it a little protection.
    According to Apple it has a 'protective shield'. It goes:

LCD>capacitive touch panel>protective shield>you

http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/

(click on 'Multi-touch')
    Give me a break, if you want to talk about the demise of Palm, it's been happening for a while. If you want to ***** out the iPhone. Go download the new Safari for windows and see how horrible and unrefine first generation Apple products are.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Give me a break, if you want to talk about the demise of Palm, it's been happening for a while. If you want to ***** out the iPhone. Go download the new Safari for windows and see how horrible and unrefine first generation Apple products are.
    We could say the same thing for first gen Windows products (ME) and first gen Palm products (Treo 700p). With the second go around or a major update (XP and the 755p, respectively) the product became so much better. The same can probably be applied to some product from every company across the board.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    My take is that this is an apples to oranges comparison. The iphone is a cellphone with enhanced mutlimedia capabilities. The Treo is a cellphone that is designed as an all around BUSINESS communicator - it just so happens to play mp3's and video.
    But it's more or less a handheld device that mimics the functionality of your PC.
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    Another premature declaration of death :P.
    The patient is not beyond hope, people. PalmOS is still the most efficient for PIM management and for doctors, it's still the easiest smartphone to maintain and to use...
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Hi folks,
    Longtime happy Palm user, still toting my Treo 650 and find it indispensible in my medical work.- Josh
    Hi, do you use Epocrates....I presume you do! Well, don't count on Epocrates running on the iphone. They might consider having it available for Blackberry if there is a demand. Who knows.
    Which is why when the Treo comes out in its 800 incarnation, I will refuse to get the Windows Mobile version. Of all the reviews I've read across the Internet, on the Treo, the best ones go to the Palm version. The worst, Windows Mobile versions.
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
    I don't generally like on -screen keyboards, but this is one argument I just don't get. How can the spacing on the screen be any tighter and harder to hit than the dinky keys on the Treo and Blackjack keyboards (and I'm a Blackjack user/proponent)?
    Are you going to get the BB 8830?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoger View Post
    Hi, do you use Epocrates....I presume you do! Well, don't count on Epocrates running on the iphone. They might consider having it available for Blackberry if there is a demand. Who knows.
    Which is why when the Treo comes out in its 800 incarnation, I will refuse to get the Windows Mobile version. Of all the reviews I've read across the Internet, on the Treo, the best ones go to the Palm version. The worst, Windows Mobile versions.
    Roger
    Skyscapes medical programs are now available for download for the BB's
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    We could say the same thing for first gen Windows products (ME) and first gen Palm products (Treo 700p). With the second go around or a major update (XP and the 755p, respectively) the product became so much better. The same can probably be applied to some product from every company across the board.
    ??? The Handspring Treo 600 was the first gen Palm OS phone.

The 700p is a disaster, especially for NOT being a first gen device.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    No, the Qualcomm PDQ (1999, baby!) is a first-generation Palm OS phone. The Handspring Treo 180 (2002) was a 2nd or 3rd generation phone (depending on how you look at it). Between Qualcomm (later Kyocera), Samsung, Handspring and, yes, Palm (remember the T|W?) there were several years' worth of Palm OS-based smartphones on the market prior to the Treo 600's launch.

For Palm to have done absolutely NOTHING with the formfactor or the basic featureset since plucking the Treo 600 out of the hands of a dying Handspring in 2003 is absolutely pathetic.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12