Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    OK, most of us are disappointed with the Foleo. So, what would restore your faith in Palm?

• Linux based smartphone
    • 7xx series form factor (or thinner)
    • WiFi
    • 320x320 screen
    • World phone: EVDO, 3G

How about an online storage system for all your files?
    Last edited by Stig; 06/02/2007 at 05:35 AM.
    If their smartphone companion had a flexible OLED screen, and folded down to the size of a HTC Universal, that would have impressed me.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    If their smartphone companion had a flexible OLED screen, and folded down to the size of a HTC Universal, that would have impressed me.

Surur
    That would be impressive for anybody. Making something with today's technology would be impressive for Palm!

Improvements I'd like to see...
    WiFi
    EvDo + GSM
    Oh, Linux something.
    256 MB storage space
    64 MB RAM
    At least a 3 MP camera, with a good lens and real zoom.
    Just a smidge thinner, if they can swing it.

And yes, I would be willing to pay the expected Palm premium above the actual cost for a device like this. If only Palm would make it.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    That would be impressive for anybody. Making something with today's technology would be impressive for Palm!
    Isn't that the point? They have released a product which only impress the intensely loyal (and even not them).

Polymer Vision, the rollable display people, announced today that they will develop a rollable, E Ink-based mobile device together with Telecom Italy. The device looks a bit like Polymer Vision’s earlier proof of concept, the Readius.

The press release mentions that the device will have a 5 inch rollable screen, a whopping 4 GB memory, a mini USB slot for PC synchronization and more (wireless) network goodies. The idea is that you use Telecom Italy’s network to download (and pay for) content, both third party wares and your own. This could include e-mail, news, personalized feeds, location sensitive maps and so on.

Telecom Italy will market the device in Italy, whereas Polymer Vision will market the device in the rest of the world. The “Cellular-Book”, as the device is tentatively called, will be displayed next week at the 3GSM World Congress in Barcelona.
    http://www.polymervision.com/assets/...hree-13080.jpg
    http://www.polymervision.com/News-Ce...uncetheCE.html

Devices such as that are real and coming out at the same time as the Foleo, and actually HAS impressive specs.

Surur
    Here's what I'd like to see:

680/750/755p form factor
    Linux OS
    EVDO Rev A
    64 - 128 MB of user accessible RAM
    Wifi b/g
    BT 2.0 with native A2DP support
    3 megapixel camera WITH FLASH
    2400 mah+ battery
    Native voice dialing without paying extra
    Native mp3 ringtone support

This would all need to be released very soon, otherwise the competition will be miles ahead and everything listed above will still be lagging behind.

The whole CDMA/GSM thing wouldn't do anything for me. The hybrid phones out there now are only GSM 900/1800 which means they won't work in North America. Now give us a CDMA Treo with GSM 800/1900 and holy crap that would be sweet.
    I'll make it easy (or easier):

GPS
    Linux OS
    SDHC
    320x480
    EVDO Rev A
    No ext antenna

I truly think Palm will deliver that device (after another 3-4 yrs.)
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    Here's what I'd like to see:

680/750/755p form factor
    Linux OS
    EVDO Rev A
    64 - 128 MB of user accessible RAM
    Wifi b/g
    BT 2.0 with native A2DP support
    3 megapixel camera WITH FLASH
    2400 mah+ battery
    Native voice dialing without paying extra
    Native mp3 ringtone support
    New OS needs to run my old software without me having to pay developers for new versions.
    A good 2.0 mp camera w/flash would be fine with me
    128 Ram would help. Many programs I use need to be in RAM.
    Doesn't seem like asking a lot really. I mean the OS is a huge step but they have to do that anyways or switch to MS Mobile. Why can't they give us this. I bet most of us would pay a premium price for a stable device like this.
    I would love to have
    256mb of RAM
    3mp camera with flash
    Nokia N76 video quality
    wifi (wont ever see that since the Foleo has it)
    7xx/680 form factor
    SD slot
    BT 2.0 with AD2P
    Linux OS (PalmOS II)
    3G (tmobile fequency too)
    better battery life.

That would be one SCHWEET device
    oh GPS
    The fat lady has been singing this song (wifi, GPS, memory, etc.) for as long as I have owned a Treo.
    No reason to expect anything new here from Palm, I'm sorry to say.
    A new updated OS would impress me now more than anything! It was the main reason I left Palm OS, even more than no wifi, which is another of my gripes.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Basically the 5" PDA Fujitsu released today, but with linux and 2 SD slot, uses the 650/700p battery and a faster CPU.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    wifi (wont ever see that since the Foleo has it)
    As the Foleo supports WiFi at least it shows that the new Linux OS supports it and Palm knows how to implement it!
    Last edited by Stig; 06/04/2007 at 01:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Basically the 5" PDA Fujitsu released today, but with linux and 2 SD slot, uses the 650/700p battery and a faster CPU.
    What PDA announcement?
    Hmm...
    Linux OS
    128 - 256 mb user memory
    3mp camera with LED flash
    755 form factor w/battery life like the blackberry 8800
    wi-fi
    native support for mp3 & wav ringtones/alert tones
    native voice-dialing
    bluetooth 2.0
    NO RESETS, NO LAG.
    It would impress me if the 755W? was released on Sprint in June w/

WM 6.0
    320x320
    WiFi b,g
    BT 2.0
    2mp decent camera

The 6700 and WX are currently missing from their site!
    just something at par with the technology of iphone or the nokia e90, etc
    sleek form factor
    wifi wifi wifi
    no windows mobile
    2mp camera or better

sadly they will just give us treo 690 with gosh, more memory, same everything, and maybe comes in 6 hot new color.
    I don't need to be impressed. I just need the device to function.

I find that many Treo users, are most obsessed with impressing other people than in impressing themselves or actually using a device efficiently. The question is not whether a device can do something, it's whether it can do it effectively and efficiently. Doing something on a little old device that can be held in your hand might be cool enough to impress people but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the most efficient way of doing something.

I'm taking a short business trip tomorrow morning; I'll leave the laptop at home because the Treo can handle everything I need.

-I may take a picture at the formal dinner of this or that....it's quality will be sufficient with the 650's camera to show the photo on the Treo's little screen. For posterity I'll get copies afterwards from the party who has been assigned to take official pictures of the event. No I don't care that my Treo has a puny megapixel and wouldn't give a whoop if a new Treo came out with a 2, 3 or 6 MP camera. Dude.....the Treo has a $9 lens.....I don't care how many MP's ya got in there....the lense in there is so small and the Treo's price point so low that the components can't do justice to a 4 MP sensor. And no I don't want a flash...can't think of faster why to suck down battery life.

-I may play an mp3 of a parody song for a laugh to a colleague.....but no, I am not going to use the Treo for any music listening. The sound board costs about $12 and simply isn't capable of producing anything resembling a "fidelity" I could be bothered listening to. As for video....justifying a need to watch video on a Treo and justifying the need to buy a 45" Plasma screen are mutually incompatible arguments.

-I will check my e-mail....will look at few headers, maybe answer a few e-mails that need direct and immediate attention with answers not to exceed 25 words.....if an emergency arises, I can always stop in the hotel's business center, log on and I can type the 8+ sentence stuff on a full size keyboard in half the time and fuss.

-I'm not really gonna care about numbers and specs. I am only gonna care about what I can do with it. I'll save those arguments for the "whose is bigger" crowd. If I find that what I want to do with a device is limited by a "stat", then I go looking for something with the same functionality and with a bigger stat in that area.....Kinda like frame rate bragging on a gaming box....hey dude, the eyes / brain can't recognize anything above 30 so who cares whether ya new vid card boosted ya from 59 fps to 84 fps.

-I want my device to go a week without charging
    -I want to be able to stay in contact with people so phone is the key priority.
    -I want occasional e-mail usage but a thumb board device with a 2" screen is simply not a productivity tool where typing more than 25 words is involved.
    -I want web access to make a quick check of something...I don't want to squint at a tiny screen to read page upon page of info.
    -I want a quick and easy way to edit a file, fix some spelling and grammar and send back the corrected file but I am not gonna type a proposal on a Treo. I will dictate my proposal over the phone or e-mail the sound file to clerical staff, have them type it and send it back for my 3 edits. Why pay executive salaries to do mundane typing ?

The Treo is a Swiss Army Knife, that's the secret of its success. Yeah the little scissor has served me in a pinch but I ain't gonna use it to make decorations for the office party. The knife is good in a pinch but the one in my tackle box is better. The screwdriver works, but one with a regular grip gives me more power and fits in tighter places. That little army shovel ya carried in ya backpack when ya were a boy scout...yeah that was handy and easy to pack....ever see a construction worker using one ?

You use the Treo / Swiss Army knife when ya can't get ya hands on tools which are dedicated to a single purpose and do a better job of it. It's for carrying around in your pocket to do quick things when getting access to the dedicated tool is not time efficient.

What is important is getting the job done in the most efficient way possible, not getting the job done in the coolest way possible. Oddly enough the only time I have used the Treo what I would call "extensively" as a business tool is when I was on vacation to handle those things no one else seemed to be able to take care of. Up in the mountains, out on a boat or mountain biking thru a week of trails Utah miles away from civilization, I have wrestled with the Treo in a few pinches. But when back in civilization, real productive tools are just to easy to lay hands on.

It's a swiss army knife...it doesn't have to be impressive.....it just has to adjust that screw on the camping stove, cut that thread hanging from my windsor knot, cut that string wrapped around my lawnmower blade, remove that cork from the wine bottle at the end of the rope hanging in the river. It has to be capable of doing a lot of different but short duration small jobs without a reasonable amount of hassle. That's all I want from a Treo and I don't want to be any more impressed with it than I am impressed by teh Swiss Army Knife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Absolutely purrrrrrfect.

Actually, in keeping with the original Q, this is all it would take for me ...

Tungsten T3 + ...
    Scews w/ tiny lock washers
    Refresh the edges for 2007
    New Linux Palm OS
    SDHC compatible (all the way to 32mb)
    WiFi
    HSPDA
    1600 - 1800mah of juice
    Drop the IR & add a 2mpx DC
    USB 2.0
    BT2.0 edr
    a real clipboard
    ... of course Foleo compatible! :-o

... is that really to much to ask for after 4 years? I would pay hansomely too.
    Patrick Horne
    So in other words you want a feature phone instead of a smartphone. There's plenty of them, you're just not gonna see one from Palm.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast