Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Unfortunately, I don't think that anything that Palm is really capable of is actually going to impress me at this point. Palm has squandered any position that they once had, and have too much of a internally perceived link to the old PalmOS way of doing things to make any real advance.

I have read all of the wish list posts, and those things are what Palm needs in order to maintain any sence of relevency. It is what Palm needs to do in order to not be swept under the carpet by Blackberry, Windows Mobile and the iPhone. There is not room for four at this table, and Palm is too lost to even know that the dinner bell rang.

Palm is running with a phone that is still living off of the design ques of Ericsson phones from five years ago, with an operating system that is even older. In the years that they lost control of the OS, you would have thought they would have poured their money into hardware, but after a year, they just learned to remove the antenna.

And what inovation does Palm have to show for it? A $500 OLPC.

Palm, refocus. Please. If you are starting from scratch with Linux, please don't just give us Linux with the same UI stitched on it. Show us that you have learned something about usability since Jeff gave us the Palm Pilot. Show us that you have been just itching to get out of the gate now that you control the software again. Show the nay sayers that are so dismayed that you can't even get a bug fix for the 700p right after over a year, as well as a "muligan" when the first time bricked too many Treos.

In short, just show us that you value the cult of loyal users that are slowly moving to Windows Mobile, Blackberry and the iPhone because there is nothing cool about owning a Treo anymore.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GhengisEEK View Post
    Linux/PALM/Symbian (Non-Windows OS)
    EVDO Rev A or UMTS/HSDPA
    256 MB of user accessible RAM
    Wifi b or g or n
    BT 2.0 with native A2DP support
    SDHC support
    2.0-3.2 megapixel camera +flash
    1800mah+ battery
    Size: 113mm x 58mm x 14mm (about 8mm thinner than current)
    GPS
    320x480 resolution
    Smarter touch screen
    Mini-USB charge-n-sync

... I've attached a sample below (some of the existing keys can serve double duty. Such as the numeric keypad for the 5-way jog dial). It just won't have the utility without the keyboard, sorry Iphone.
    Great job with that one. add a 5way key or something and I'm 100% sold LOL
    someone email that to Palm so they can yell at their designers LOL I can't wait until this start flowing around the net
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Linux/PALM/Symbian (Non-Windows OS)
    EVDO Rev A or UMTS/HSDPA
    256 MB of user accessible RAM
    Wifi b or g or n
    BT 2.0 with native A2DP support
    SDHC support
    2.0-3.2 megapixel camera +flash
    1800mah+ battery
    Size: 113mm x 58mm x 14mm (about 8mm thinner than current)
    GPS
    320x480 resolution
    Smarter touch screen
    Mini-USB charge-n-sync

... I've attached a sample below (some of the existing keys can serve double duty. Such as the numeric keypad for the 5-way jog dial). It just won't have the utility without the keyboard, sorry Iphone.

Looks great. I would want the D-pad and the space key though ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane View Post
    In short, just show us that you value the cult of loyal users that are slowly moving to Windows Mobile, Blackberry and the iPhone because there is nothing cool about owning a Treo anymore.
    Please at least qualify your statement:

WM Treos account for 50% of Palm's business now and are very good alternatives to "other" WM devices on the market.

The Garnet Treo is outdated and if you bought one today, then someone didn't do their homework if they didn't know that already.

Palm was also aware of that but remember, they lost control of the OS to Access for quite some time, so they had to scramble to do something else e.g. WM on a Treo.

They have their POSII in the works for 2008 to fill the old-Garnet void.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Doc31
    The number pad is also the 5-way. It would actually become an 8-way.

brichter21
    The space bar shares double duty with Calendar/Mail button's.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...0&d=1183170142
    Each of these double duty buttons could be "customized" in the preferences settings.
    For example: the "Q" answers calls only when the phone app is active. The "Calendar/Mail" button is a spacebar while using applications such as memopad, versamail, etc. You would use the "ALT" + "Calendar/Mail" while in the applications to switch to the Calendar or Mail app.

Sounds confusing? It's not. Besides we're power users asking for the Wish device.
    Last edited by GhengisEEK; 07/22/2007 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Added link to Wish TREO 800
    Thx
    GhengisEEK

I wanted to be somebody when I grew up, I should have been more specific."
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms View Post
    just something at par with the technology of iphone or the nokia e90, etc
    sleek form factor
    wifi wifi wifi
    no windows mobile
    2mp camera or better

sadly they will just give us treo 690 with gosh, more memory, same everything, and maybe comes in 6 hot new color.

The e90 has been out for over 3 months and Palm has not even matched half the specs. Palm is still sleeping.
    Last edited by d1hamby; 07/26/2007 at 03:34 AM.
    Basically I wish a Treo was coming out that met the HTC Kaiser's features with a 320x320 screen. That would knock my socks off.
    But I'm considering moving to the Kaiser when it hits AT&T. I really prefer the Treo customizations and form factor much more than an HTC slider, but It's hard to stick with the Treo 750 knowing I could have the processor, 3G HSUPA, Wifi, GPS, etc. Essentially a whole generation ahead of what the 750 is.
    Now I'd be conflicted if they had a 750 with 320x320, considering it's a higher res screen than the Kaiser. But I'm really sick of not having Wifi, something i really miss from my brief period having the 8525.

I'd just like to see Palm come close or meet 1/2 the features.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I'd like a Treo with 320x480 screen, still have a thumboard somehow, 8 hrs battery life, 4gb onboard memory, wifi, bt 2.0, POS II, Skype, GoogleApps, GPS, loud ringer and voice out of the box. I would be happy with this even if it meant it was bigger. What would really impress me would be if they could get today's device with POS II in the next 6 months, everything else I actually am less concerned about. If they can't get the OS finished with a high degree of quality, stability, and backwards compatibility, they likely won't be around to worry about. It would be nice if the new OS has a bit of gloss on top also, if it has the same old Palm UI I'll scream.
    ALP or Linux PalmOS with Garnet compatability
    SD slot
    Touch Screen
    Bluetooth 2.0 with all the extra profiles enabled
    USB 2.0 with USB mini connection
    WiFi
    Integrated GPS Receiver
    Large internal RAM (512MB-1GB)
    Querty keyboard
    Camera with LED flash
    400+ MHz ARM CPU
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    What would impress me? Aside from a new thread worth reading?

Firm evidence of a new platform, features, form factor.
    Pictures to confirm it.
    Timeline to see it.

I hate Palm's marketing.
    [QUOTE=Dim-Ize;1315185]What would impress me? Aside from a new thread worth reading?

QUOTE]

No kidding.
    a Treo 652P...

Exactly like the 650, but with EVDO and more memory.
    Without any of the problems of the 700p pre/post MR or the 755P.
    In other words; what the 700P should have been, and a year later, still isn't.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Doc31
    The number pad is also the 5-way. It would actually become an 8-way.
    Yea I figured that but I would really prefer a 5-way or a trackball like the bb. Too much option that or shift this could be quite frustrating .
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    a Treo 652P...

Exactly like the 650, but with EVDO and more memory.
    Without any of the problems of the 700p pre/post MR or the 755P.
    In other words; what the 700P should have been, and a year later, still isn't.
    I've had the 755 for almost two months now. I have not had a single reset (knock on wood). I have the thing loaded with apps, skins, fonts, and icons - it is rock solid. Seriously - I am amazed at how well this thing works.

Shave off 50% of it the weight and thickness, add GPS and possibley a larger screen by re-mapping some buttons to side and a rollerball (ala BB Pearl) and w0w - it would be hands down the choice for me.

Nevertheless - I have tried all the latest devices out there and the 755 suits my needs best of all for any device presently on the market. I'm not saying that it is perfect. I am saying it meets my needs better than any other choice at this current time.
    Dim-Ize:

Glad your 755P is working for you.

I would be tempted except for the smaller-sized Mi SD card and the fact that many are still reporting problems with their 755p's. I am back and forth between the pre(if you can find one) or post MR'd 700P and the 755p. I do not want to give up the standard SD card, yet the 755P is reportedly better than either 700P... but may not be quite "there" yet for some of us. All 3 are reporting various problems with that tone when the audio switch is off, and other frailties. I am afraid that if they ever do fix all the problems in a future model they may force me to give up my standard SD. Will they ever offer standard SD again (except in the foleo)?

I was wondering why you and others want the 755 to be shrunk even furthur, yet maybe even add more features?! Do you not want the battery to last? How small can they make the thing until you need a magnifying glass or a foleo to even see the screen? Won't thinner mean it will break in half? I have no problem with the 650/700 size in my hand, and even have no problem using an extended bump-out battery. If they want to make a smaller model, maybe that should be their entry-level model with less features. But a fully-capable model I can't see shrinking much beyond the 650/700, or even the 755 size. I can see offering optional other form-factors like a flip or slide-out model in addition to the tried and true candybar style, but please don't shrink it too much. My old eyes couldn't take it. Wasn't the move away from the SD card because of the excuse that they needed the room? Sorry, I'd rather have standard SD and bigger battery.

And as for people who call treos bricks, they are pebbles compared to my old Motorola F09LFD8438AG. That was really closer to brick-sized, and was a step up from my previous bag-phone.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    From the Unwired: "The Asus P750 sports Windows Mobile 6 Professional, a Marvel 520 MHz PXA27x CPU, 256 MB ROM and 128 MB RAM and GSM/GPRS/EDGE and HSDPA at 3.6 Mbps as well as WiFi and Bluetooth are confirmed as well. Furthermore this devices features a SiRF III GPS receiver and an FM radio. Last but not least, it also includes a 3.2 megapixel auto-focus camera"

SWEET
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234