495 Global Posts
    1600mAh battery
    Palm OS (new Linux one)
    256MB of flash memory
    miniSD card with SDHC support
    2.0-3.2MP camera
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA
    same thin-ness as the current Treo 680

That is what I want in my NEXT Treo smartphone. It is possible, but I want to see Palm actually do it! When it comes to software pre-loaded onto the device, I think almost everything is out there for the Palm OS. I would love a new IM app, feature complete like munduIM to be bundled. Some operating system ties with internet services such as FLICKR, especially with the high MP camera and high speed internet. All that would be a nice upgrade to me, from the Treo 680.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    I guess the first things that come to mind for me are:

New OS (Linux) that no matter what is A)backwards compatible and B)Rock stable

A2DP

3.5mm headphone jack thats put on one of the sides

mini USB power cable. (that also is put in the right place)

minimum 256

OMG no doubt it HAS to have a full size SD slot (thats SDHC compliant and the software HAS to be able to read how big it is now matter how big they get, this crap of only reading up to 4GB is... well.. CRAP)

sure wifi would be neat but it would only be a great feature to me if I can sync over it. I have EVDO in my area so surfing is ok here.
    All good points but I would like to see a 3G GSM device with a stable PalmOS compatible OS. I would also like the device to have an built in standard JVM so it can run all those other smartphone apps.

Finally, either get rid of the camera or give me one that can take a picture I would not be embarassed showing someone else. I have never taken a photo with the Treo I have not had to delete soon aferwards.

Oh< and bring back the old Palm OS phone app, the 680 phone app sucks.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 06/13/2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: addtional point
    Actually the 755p isn't that far off for me as a 650 replacement. All they had to do was add a few things that I think were very manageable.

Bluetooth 2.0 with A2DP support
    Native Voice Dialing
    EVDO Rev. A
    Opera Mobile 9

That's it! I would have bought it. But they didn't so, I'll have to wait on the next iteration. Probably by the end of the year. Right now the Treo 750 seems to be Palm's most reliable product of the last year. I would probably buy one if its released on Verizon.

But the question was, what would impress me.

I would be impressed by a phone based off the TX with sliding QWERTY keyboard and a camera. Palm will never do this because its probably seen as old tech. thats been done before (WM devices). And they want to come up with new markets and products nobody's thought of before. But so many people would buy a device like that. I don't understand. The idea is to make money right? Isn't that the bottom line.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I like the original post... REV A, CDMA/GSM phone, better multitasking capabilities, and of course, no resets/reboots (I am dreaming now )

My company only support Blackberry and Palm OS, so unless the new linux OS supports a POS compatibility layer, I am not ready to switch yet. But more memory is certainly welcome!
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Using 755 as starting point:

It seems to me, that the ear piece could be moved up. The red / green buttons moved to side (or right / left of ear piece) and navigator replaced with rollerball, ala BB Pearl. Push the other hard coded buttons on front down just a hair.

This would afford a larger screen.

So, bigger screen, 50% reduction in thickness & weight, Rev A and GPS and I would pay $500 for it.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    A 755 treo form factor with full screen (think iphone) and a keyboard that can be fliped out & over the bottom half of the screen. Hard keys placed along the top or/and side. I don't want a slider i want to have the option to expand my screen when I want it.

EVDO rev A & WiMax
    GPS
    mini sd
    400 mhz
    700p battery life.
    bluetooth 2.0
    New linux OS
    Opera broswer

I'm a dreamer!
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I don't want any flip-keyboard That doesn't sound too rugged to me and would likely be in the way more than anything. A slider like the old Tungsten maybe. But I'd want the amount of thumboard space to be at least what it is currently. Possibly they could make more side buttons and do some sort of touch navigation. Basically instead of moving the keyboard move the Dpad and main keys to the sideas, extend the screen above and below where it is currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    I forgot to mention that I played with a co-workers BB Pearl the other day and was blown away by the track ball!

Palm please figure this one out!

If not please at least in the minimum make the center button rubberized instead of the polished metal it is now. My fingers slip off that thing so often itsfrustrating.
    So you like the BB 8830, I am concernd with ease of navigation. I will be trying out the 8830 as soon as Sprint releases it. But why is Palm making me switch? They should try to keep our business but I guess they do not care otherwise they would have fixed the lag on the 755p!
    Last edited by Gas Man; 06/19/2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: change a statement
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    Here's what I'd like to see:

680/750/755p form factor
    Linux OS
    EVDO Rev A
    64 - 128 MB of user accessible RAM
    Wifi b/g
    BT 2.0 with native A2DP support
    3 megapixel camera WITH FLASH
    2400 mah+ battery
    Native voice dialing without paying extra
    Native mp3 ringtone support

This would all need to be released very soon, otherwise the competition will be miles ahead and everything listed above will still be lagging behind.

this but... touch screen must stay and I'd say moto Q size and Vista support on hotsync
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    GPS and A2DP would be nice. But this would be impressive:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=146083
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I don't need something impress me, I just need a 3G palmOS treo.
    Lets see, what would impress me....

uber-high capacity battery
    wi-fi
    somewhat thin clamshell design(yes, it CAN be done)
    512-1gb RAM(if they can cram a gig into that Sanyo phone, they can do it for a Treo)
    Good camera
    grippier keys
    no lags
    fewer crashes
    multitasking
    GPS
    400+ mhz processor
    completely unlocked & unbranded for all carriers(pipe dream, I know)
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    It will never happen, but I would be impressed if they came out with a phone that you didn't have to go onto your computer and download 3rd party programs (and pay for most of them) in order to have the phone function how you want it to.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    It will never happen, but I would be impressed if they came out with a phone that you didn't have to go onto your computer and download 3rd party programs (and pay for most of them) in order to have the phone function how you want it to.
    That would about sum it up wouldnt it?

Well said!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    HKKLife pretty much nails it. But putting it into my own words: I just need the damn thing to work. I've been giving my $ to Palm for ten years now, hoping that they'll put a solid product in my hand. The last time they did that? Palm V, of course. At this point, I'm only asking for:

1) a rock solid platform. No music, no video, no sketchy 3rd party apps, and I'm still suffering resets from incoming SMS's on a regular basis. That's pathetic. I don't give a @(#@ if it's Garnet, Linux, or OS/2. Just MAKE IT WORK.

2) improved form factor. I *really* like the Q form factor. But I'll take something a little bigger so long as it's well built. My 650 is creaking and cracking these days, despite being treated very well (cf. the 300, that hit 5th Ave. at 30mph, yet is still in great shape . . .).

3) Wi-fi. I used to roll my eyes at this option, but as I travel more and more internationally, I come across places and times where it would be very useful to be able to access the free hot-spot I'm standing in.

4) VOICE QUALITY. Seriously, do you EVEN USE your own phone? On Sprint, in downtown DC, it's a complete piece of crap. And in Arlington, VA. And in Atlanta, GA. And in San Francisco, CA. Why is my cheap Motorola GSM I use when traveling overseas 10x better than your phone?

So really, that's all I need. What would be icing?

5) A better quality camera. I don't know what these people talking about flash are smoking - I'm not asking for that. But I see pictures from friends cameras that look like *pictures*, and not spy shots, and I think, "Wow, I wish my $600 would have gotten me that."

6) Improved battery. If I try to set my phone up to approximate blackberry service by checking for email every 15 min, my battery (about 6mo old) is near dead by the end of the day. WTF?

I used to be a huge supporter and Palm booster. Now I'm just sitting in bitterness waiting for something else to come up.
    Linux/PALM/Symbian (Non-Windows OS)
    EVDO Rev A or UMTS/HSDPA
    256 MB of user accessible RAM
    Wifi b or g or n
    SDHC support
    2.0-3.2 megapixel camera +flash
    1800mah+ battery
    Size: 113mm x 58mm x 14mm (about 8mm thinner than current)
    GPS
    320x480 resolution
    Smarter touch screen
    Mini-USB charge-n-sync

... I've attached a sample below (some of the existing keys can serve double duty. Such as the numeric keypad for the 5-way jog dial). It just won't have the utility without the keyboard, sorry Iphone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GhengisEEK; 06/29/2007 at 09:23 PM.
    Thx
    GhengisEEK

I wanted to be somebody when I grew up, I should have been more specific."
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    ^^ that's awesome GhengisEEK
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Nothing.

Wimax support.
    Another vote for the flip. My i500 still sits in it's charger on my desk and laughs at me every time I curse out my 700p for one reason or another. Even if I don't get graffiti back, you could make much better use of space by separating out the screen and keyboard in a flip. Have less of a bezel to enlarge the screen. Better materials can allow for good reinforcement around the screen. Make the bottom portion thicker than the top with rounded edges to sit in your hands better for typing.

And I'm with the guy that says it's the swiss-army knife. I don't need it to be a laptop replacement, but I want it to get me through a typical weekend where I can leave my laptop at home and feel it can get me through the basics if need be.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by GhengisEEK View Post
    Linux/PALM/Symbian (Non-Windows OS)
    EVDO Rev A or UMTS/HSDPA
    256 MB of user accessible RAM
    Wifi b or g or n
    SDHC support
    2.0-3.2 megapixel camera +flash
    1800mah+ battery
    Size: 113mm x 58mm x 14mm (about 8mm thinner than current)
    GPS
    320x480 resolution
    Smarter touch screen
    Mini-USB charge-n-sync

... I've attached a sample below (some of the existing keys can serve double duty. Such as the numeric keypad for the 5-way jog dial). It just won't have the utility without the keyboard, sorry Iphone.
    Nice Photo shop Ghen.You might want to send it to plam so the can build off the pic...Add some wm6 to it and im sold.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast