Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Excellently put Jack. However if Palm wants to keep up in the marketplace they have to keep up with the specs of their competitors. I just bought a phone with Wifi because it is cheaper to use when I'm home.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by sci72 View Post
    What PDA announcement?
    http://www.umpcportal.com/products/product.php?id=103

(btw I m typing on my brand spanking new Nokia n800 now. I'm *very* impreessed by its overall web experience.)
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    It would impress me if the same same model would be available on all carriers, I am sick of one having a 680 another 700-800 series and so on.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    1) cut the thikness of the 750/755 form factor in half to be as slim as a Q.

2) built in wifi, I may not use it but it would be nice to have if I ever do

3) the new linux based OS that can truely multi task but still run all the old POS apps, and I think that is the plan since Palm bought back the POS from Access so they won't have to license themselves an emulator

4) 256 mb of onboard memory

5) move over to mini-USB as a connector

All of these changes should be implemented rather easily. I'd also take a thinner Treo if it meant getting rid of the camera.
    Alright I'll play,

Treo 755 form factor
    New Linux OS
    Wifi
    A2DP support
    3 meg camera
    More memory
    2400 mhah battery
    EVDO Rev. A

In that order
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    What would REALISTICALLY impress me?

A data-centric Treo running Garnet. Or call it a cellular-enabled TX2:

-Palm TX or similar formfactor with internal EVDO antennae. No keyboard.
    -320x480 LCD
    -Huge DBHeap/Cache memory (at least as much as 755p)
    -Removable battery with at least 2200mAh
    -User-selectable Graffiti 1 or Graffiti 2
    -3.5mm stereo headphone jack
    -STABLE BT 1.2 (from the 755p if not better)
    -DTG 10 in ROM
    -PTunes Deluxe in ROM
    -128mb RAM, 4gb internal flash drive (like T5)
    -Fullsize SDHC slot
    -Charging LED & vibrate alarm
    -Metal stylus
    -Native voice dialing app in "full version" with NO monthly subscription charges(Assuming this thing even has voice capability. If not then scratch this point).
    -Native voice recorder app with ability to record directly to SD cards.
    -Vista-compliant Palm Desktop in the box

-Priced $499 or less, "full retail".

The saddest part about all of this is that Palm uses or has used all of the tech outlined above in various devices over the past few years. It's JUST a matter of them rolling it into a single, high-quality device.
    Take a 700wx and:

1. Add 1 package of WM6.

2. Now that WM6 has been added, a 320x320 screen can be mixed in

3.Stir in BT 2.0 hardware and software. Feel free to add extra profiles (DUN, FTP, AD2P, etc.) if you like.

4. Blend in a 2400 mah battery until battery cover is smooth and has no humps

5. Increase camera resolution to 2MP, or until pictures are crystal clear. Be sure to add swivel to make sure no flipping of the cake is necessary

6. (Optional) Add wifi to thicken networking capabilities.

7. (Recommended) Add GPS to make cake more flavorful and location based

8. This is the most important step! Run cake batter through sifter to remove all bugs and bugginess.

9. Make sure all parts of the cake are properly mixed and arranged, and then bake at 350F. Serve warm.
    Palm most certainly isn't interested in today's technology.
    It's whatever they can get away with to turn a profit.

In an ideal setting, a smartphone company will put up-to-date features in a phone with the form of the treo and turn profits. I do think it is possible to do both.

You won't see it from palm though.
    Im probably one of the few who want a flip form factor but I do... and you asked...hahaha.

I guess the first things that come to mind for me are:

New OS (Linux) that no matter what is A)backwards compatible and B)Rock stable

A2DP

newly updated desktop client to go along with the new OS and its very very innovative.

3.5mm headphone jack thats put on one of the sides

mini USB power cable. (that also is put in the right place)

minimum 256

Id also like an onboard HDD (preferably a flash one) of at least 8GB

OMG no doubt it HAS to have a full size SD slot (thats SDHC compliant and the software HAS to be able to read how big it is now matter how big they get, this crap of only reading up to 4GB is... well.. CRAP)

people ask for thinner styling I for one am happy with the thickness of the current models and for certain would NEVER sacrifice thin for lack of touchscreen nor would I want it to be wider a la the Q. Plus I have pretty big hands so I dont like the feel of the thinner phones anyway.

sure wifi would be neat but it would only be a great feature to me if I can sync over it. I have EVDO in my area so surfing is ok here.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    What would Impress me? See the Clies come back!
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    Here's what I'd like to see:

680/750/755p form factor
    Linux OS
    EVDO Rev A
    64 - 128 MB of user accessible RAM
    Wifi b/g
    BT 2.0 with native A2DP support
    3 megapixel camera WITH FLASH
    2400 mah+ battery
    Native voice dialing without paying extra
    Native mp3 ringtone support

This would all need to be released very soon, otherwise the competition will be miles ahead and everything listed above will still be lagging behind.

The whole CDMA/GSM thing wouldn't do anything for me. The hybrid phones out there now are only GSM 900/1800 which means they won't work in North America. Now give us a CDMA Treo with GSM 800/1900 and holy crap that would be sweet.

Let's add GPS to the device, afraid we are not going to see that with the 800W. If they do not change the design, it will not sell like hotcakes. There's a lot of smartphones on the market for GSM. That new "Multi Touch" looks like a winner but Palm is not going to give us anything fancy for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    OK, most of us are disappointed with the Foleo. So, what would restore your faith in Palm?
    ok, so I havent lost faith, but there are some things I'd like to see in a new Treo (not Foleo).

completly screen driven except for the volume (side), power/silent buttons (top) and send/end (wherever)
    wifi
    bt 2.0 with stero BT
    tv-out (see my N95 review on why I like it)
    better blazer browser
    better office suite
    enhanced touchscreen (multipoint detection, finger vs stylus fun, etc.)
    brighter copper color (hey i like my copper 680)
    That;s all at the moment.
    Last edited by Antoine of MMM; 06/10/2007 at 11:59 PM.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I want to see a treo which I KNOW has some new parts under the hood for a change.

1) 400 - 500 mhz processor
    2) 128 mb ram at least preferably
    256 mb.
    3) A2DP bt.
    4) GPS
    5) BRAND NEW, SOLID OS.
    6) Ev-do or wimax
    7) chattermail on board natively.

Its about time we start to see this type of phone. Its not about bling factor or being able to show off your device, it's the feeling that you're getting your money's worth when you upgrade.
    I forgot to mention that I played with a co-workers BB Pearl the other day and was blown away by the track ball!

Palm please figure this one out!

If not please at least in the minimum make the center button rubberized instead of the polished metal it is now. My fingers slip off that thing so often itsfrustrating.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    It would impress me if palm could ship ship something with great rf... that is all I want.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    A new Palm flipphone/clamshell with touch screen, the usual parade of features, marketed and priced as an alternative to the Razr and other media-featured flipphones.
    I'd like to see an option to turn off the touch-sensative screen and use a side mounted thumb wheel al Blackberrys.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    OK, most of us are disappointed with the Foleo. So, what would restore your faith in Palm?
    Larger screen (same width but taller with landscape display)
    Multitasking
    2 simcards
    Better camera

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Take a 700wx and:

1. Add 1 package of WM6.

2. Now that WM6 has been added, a 320x320 screen can be mixed in

3.Stir in BT 2.0 hardware and software. Feel free to add extra profiles (DUN, FTP, AD2P, etc.) if you like.

4. Blend in a 2400 mah battery until battery cover is smooth and has no humps

5. Increase camera resolution to 2MP, or until pictures are crystal clear. Be sure to add swivel to make sure no flipping of the cake is necessary

6. (Optional) Add wifi to thicken networking capabilities.

7. (Recommended) Add GPS to make cake more flavorful and location based

8. This is the most important step! Run cake batter through sifter to remove all bugs and bugginess.

9. Make sure all parts of the cake are properly mixed and arranged, and then bake at 350F. Serve warm.

Yummy
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    i have to agree with a fes posts here --- that folding screen whould have been really, really impressive. I know that's a bit much to expect, but the way palm / hawkins were talking up the foleo, i started to think it was possible.

Alot of the other stuff mentioned - GPS, wifi, ect - should be part of the product evolution and have been done before in other products .... But a folding screen ??? impressive
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast