Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I am a bit conflicted on registering Chatteremail.. its basically a dead program, with the author moving on to bigger and better things at Palm.. and Palm now owns the program. I like it better than Versamail, but paying $40 for an email program that likely will never be updated again, seems kind of wrong.

Any thoughts? I'd prefer to support an actively developing program, but I am not sure any other mail program is up to the same level as Chatteremail.
    You can look at Snapper as an actively developed program but I think Chatter is still a good buy. Chatter is stable, even in the last beta version. With so many of us waiting for a Linux-based Treo, if one comes out within the next 6-months, it's unknown if Chatter will be backwards compatible. If you are in that camp that might go with the next Treo as an early adopter, any e-mail program you buy now could be obsolete.
    I'm trying to reach the same decision. It would help if they lowered the price a bit, which they should under the circumstances.
    Too bad you can't buy a copy from someone and have the license transferred. When I moved to the Windows Mobile platform, I asked Mark and was told that I could not have my license transferred to someone else. Regardless, its a well developed and tested program that is still a great deal even if development has stopped. I don't really see an issue with the development stopping on this with the exception of future devices. It works very nicely on the current ones, but who know what will happen with future devices.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    It's a great program as it is. Heck, Windows 98 and 2000 are no longer supported by MS, but they work fine and are still on many computers.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    You can look at Snapper as an actively developed program but I think Chatter is still a good buy. Chatter is stable, even in the last beta version. With so many of us waiting for a Linux-based Treo, if one comes out within the next 6-months, it's unknown if Chatter will be backwards compatible. If you are in that camp that might go with the next Treo as an early adopter, any e-mail program you buy now could be obsolete.
    I think palm might update chatter as often as snapper updates theirs.

It's been like forever since snapper has added anything significant.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    I am a bit conflicted on registering Chatteremail..
    Remember that you are actually paying for past development, not what might come in the future.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    If you need what Chatter supplies, I wouldn't be hesitant to buy it.

On the other hand, do you really need your email delivered to you on your Treo as it comes in? There are many alternatives from VersaMail to a few others to Chatter to, perhaps, using a mobile web interface using Blazer. Since I bought Chatter years ago, I still have it installed, but after I got a laptop computer for home instead of a desktop in another room, I rarely use email on my Treo.

Despite its reputation, VersaMail isn't really all THAT bad. :-) Start there and use it for a month and see where it's not adequate for your needs. Then you'd see if Chatter is something you would be able to use.

Tom