Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How many of you are pretty much done even paying attention to what Palm may be doing next? I have been anxiously watching Palm every since October of 2004. I can't believe that the company that released a phone as capable as the 650 in O4 has basically done nothing since. I mean absolutely nothing. The most innovative thing they have done since the 650 is offer devices with WM and I don't necessarily think that's a good thing. It's just innovative for Palm. Seriously, I have wasted way too much time following Palm. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs rule the mobile computing world and Palm will never be a force again.

I wonder how much my unread autographed copy of 'On Intellegence' might sell for?
    Last edited by scsanden; 05/30/2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: spelling error :)
    I'll be paying attention to the next Treo Palm announces. They said Foleo was a third line of business and as it stands now, it's not a line for me and that's fine. I'm here for the Treo and expect to see a significant new release before the year is up.
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden View Post
    How many of you are pretty much done even paying attention to what Palm may be doing next? I have been anxiously watching Palm every since October of 2004. I can't believe that the company that released a phone as capable as the 650 in O4 has basically done nothing since. I mean absolutely nothing. The most innovative thing they have done since the 650 is offer devices with WM and I don't necessarily think that's a good thing. It's just innovative for Palm. Seriously, I have wasted way too much time following Palm. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs rule the mobile computing world and Palm will never be a force again.

I wonder how much my unread autographed copy of 'No Intellegence' might sell for?

about as much as Hawkins` new ideas seem to be worth anymore...
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    about as much as Hawkins` new ideas seem to be worth anymore...
    I'm done. A year ago I would have been clamoring to find out about the Foleo prior to its release. Today, a WM user came up to me in the hall and asked me what I thought of Foleo and I had to confess I didn't even know that it was coming. I did hurry back to my desk to find out what it was though. In hind sight hurrying back was a waste!
    Foleo's a miss for me, but I'm still interested in their core Treo line and what form factor may come next. I'd love a thinner model (height and width are fine) with GPS and talking directions.
    John
    Meh. I was going to post something but why bother? So I didn't post anything.
    Unlike so many here, I only pay attention if the device is called a Treo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I think I'm going to find myself in the same boat as you. I looked forward to seeing what the Foleo would be (I was hoping for something like a PADD off Star Trek, but I digress), but now I'm only going to really look forward to new Treos. I'll check out other new Palm things when they come around, but interest remains to be seen.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Me 3
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    I'm just glad I picked up a working 755p as this may be a limited edition item once palm goes under. At this point, I would be more than happy with a gps, wifi, winmax capable, world phone treo in the same form factor of the 755p or better. Beyond that I don't need a do everything mobile game player, movie machine and 80 gig music player.
    Unless Palm pulls off something truly spectacular with the 700p MR (which is seeming increasingly unlikely) I'm done with Palm. Anyone know if a manufacturer has announced making an ALP phone yet?
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Anyone know if a manufacturer has announced making an ALP phone yet?
    Nobody. And I'm willing to bet that there won't ever be any ALP phones worth buying.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I, for one, am really looking forward to a Palm Linux-based phone. This has huge potential.

I do not really care about huge innovations - I just want a stable device with reasonably fast Internet (EVDO is good enough for me) and an open OS so that things like third- party VPN clients will actually work and I can get my work e-mail/calendar up and running in real-time.

I do not really so much care about many of the other bells and whistles, but, so far, every device has fallen short in that it cannot quite do what I want it to do. Almost - but not quite.

I am reasonably certain that a Linux-based device will overcome the last obstacles that remain between me and the device I really want.
    im not paying attention anymore. as soon at the htc 6800 comes out to sprint im done with treos. Its 2007 people, not 2004 the treos are still living in. So what, new OS same crappy obsolete hardware. look at the new htc pda's - 2+megapixel cameras 64mb+ ram, 256mb rom, bigger screens, wifi, etc.
    My Treo 600 was pretty well in the dumper, with battery going to hell, antenna mount busted, cracked in a couple of places all of the signs that it has been used heavily over the last 3 years. It has served me well, and that's that.

So, I was up to replace it. Do I wait for whatever might come on the Linux OS? Sounds tempting but no. I wanted to act now. So I picked up the 755p. So far it is excellent and it does what I need it to do.

My thing with the Foleo is that while I don't think it will be the device I want, it might be for some others. It may not be for many of us here on this forum out there very well might be those out there who would want it. I also see this as perhaps a preview of the OS we'll see on future Treos.

I totally get Hawkins comments about not being tethered to the carriers. Sprint, Cingular, Verizon...they're all bastards when it comes to devices. Under the guise of making sure they work on their network they like to lock them down to then charge for function. That's crap. They do indeed have WAY too much power over Palm, and with the Foleo at least for now...they don't have that control. Oh and by the way carriers, the device is MINE and I'll load on it what I choose.

It cracks me up to see folks make a comment on the Linux based kernel that somehow Palm missed the boat or that they're late to the party. LOL Explain that to me please. Palm is in the smartphone business and have been for quite some time. They have a good OS in the PalmOS platform. It is simpler than WM, less cluttered and to me in that way far better. We have Symbian out there, woo hoo there are hardly any devices that run that. How many folks have a Linux device? Hmm, yea exactly. So how is Palm late to anything? Oh because they're later than YOU would want them to be...riiiight. Now the truth is revealed. Sorry self prescribed pundits of Palm's strategy.

What I see here is a bunch of folks who for whatever reason are ticked at Palm (700p users for one), and are very passionate about the platform, thus they complain loudly at pretty much anything Palm does. Frankly I don't believe there is much of anything that will satisfy many of these folks, since they've already written off Palm and anything it does.

I think a Linux OS device could open some doors, and Foleo might be the start of that. For now I'll stick with what I have and when I can upgrade this thing in 2 years time or so we'll see what is out there then.

I pay attention because I like the technology, and am interested to see where it is going. I don't have much interest in bashing Palm. Heck, those iPhones some folks rave about? Try adding apps there. Guess what? You won't they're locking them down. Sorry but just because Apple releases something doesn't mean it rocks, no matter what Jobs says. Stick an i in front of it doesn't make it the next great thing.

K.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I hear you k man the aware technophile is a disturbed individual.

The way ALL the technology is locked down is really horrible, and there is likely no other way for them to proceed.
    I still miss voice dial on my 7135, and they'll never again have it on a smartphone... meanwhile it produces carriers an undetermined amount of revenue to provide it as a subscription. weird. I can imagine what the apple I phone won't do.

D for disturbed.
    I only pay attention when I have to get a new device. Until then, I just use the one I have.

For example, my 650's headset jack is wonky, wouldn't work with the wired stereo headset any more. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have bothered looking, really.

Personally, unless you're in the telecom business or maintain these sorts of devices for your company, why do you even bother looking? As long as the device does what you want it to do, move on with your life, and don't worry about what Palm does!

(I know that's naive, and there's always a bunch of people looking for the latest and greatest thing.)

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden View Post
    I can't believe that the company that released a phone as capable as the 650 in O4 has basically done nothing since.
    The 650 is just an incremental advancement of the 600 which was created by Handspring. I have not seen much innovation from Palm in a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGlobalMind View Post
    We have Symbian out there, woo hoo there are hardly any devices that run that.
    In the US. Outside North America the majority of smartphones (and even moderatelyintelligentphones) run some version of Symbian.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Am I done paying attention? I could care less now. Palm. D for disaster. Look at their stock and compare it with rimm`s. Should give you a pretty good pulse on the situation.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast