Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Am I done paying attention? I could care less now. Palm. D for disaster. Look at their stock and compare it with rimm`s. Should give you a pretty good pulse on the situation.
    Does Palm even have a pulse...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post

Straussy...while I whole-heartedly agree with you...I gotta ask...

Are you a mortician in real life?
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    I guess we know how you voted in the poll...
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Nobody. And I'm willing to bet that there won't ever be any ALP phones worth buying.
    Why not? I seriously haven't heard hardly anything about ALP since Palm decided to make their own Linux OS in-house. This is the perfect opportunity for another manufacturer to make a Treo-killer that will grab all the disgruntled 700p users who are looking to jump ship.

The fact that ALP has several compatibility layers (Java, Garnet, and Linux) make it very appealing to me. I still would be able to use the majority of my legacy PalmOS apps while opening up several new large sets of software and functionality.

I tell you what - someone (Samsung? I don't know) make a phone with a similar form factor as the Treo running ALP. Put 1gb flash internal storage and an SD card slot and I'm sold. Anything else they decided to include like WiFi or integrated GPS would just be icing on the cake. That would be innovation.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Haggar - no, not Six Feet Under here...

Christina - failure predictable, huh...

Just pragmatic folks. Palm keeps getting away with minor adjustments while the rest of the industry just keeps passing them by. Sorry that they resemble a cadaver more than a designer...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Haggar - no, not Six Feet Under here...

Christina - failure predictable, huh...

Just pragmatic folks. Palm keeps getting away with minor adjustments while the rest of the industry just keeps passing them by. Sorry that they resemble a cadaver more than a designer...
    I wouldn't exactly say "getting away" with it. Palm's hemorrhaging users left and right because of their ****-poor support and their inability (or unwillingness) to keep up with technology. Let's see how many things they've missed the boat on:

USB 2.0 for connectivity
    Bluetooth 2.0
    Internal memory size
    CPU speed
    WiFi
    Operating System (we've been overdue for a major OS revamp since before Cobalt turned into vaporware)
    Integrated GPS

Am I missing anything? I'm sure there's more. All of these things have been available for years now in other phones. Treo users are still stuck with:

Crappy proprietary power and desktop connectors
    Bluetooth 1.2
    64-128 mb memory (what is this, the 90's?)
    300-412mhz processor (we haven't seen an improvement since the 650)
    Can't even use WiFi with an add-on SD card (even though this was advertised as functionality for awhile)
    FrankenGarnet OS or Bloatware Windows Mobile

Oh how I wish anyone else out there would make a PalmOS compatible or ALP smartphone.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12