1.    #1  
    I am researching my first Treo and the Palm OS is my primary choice at this time.
    My cell phone provider (Rogers in Ontario, Canada) does not currenty sell the 700 series.
    I am somewhat concerned that the 680 is an 'older' unit compared to the 700.
    I would appreciate opinions as to whether I should buy a 680 now or wait for the 700 series.
    TIA.
    Regards,

Allan C.
    The 680 is a newer model than the 700. Unless you need full size SD (680 has mini-SD I believe) go for the 680.
    Rogers is GSM. 680 is the latest GSM phone. Not sure what other info you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cat View Post
    The 680 is a newer model than the 700. Unless you need full size SD (680 has mini-SD I believe) go for the 680.
    Actually, the 680 takes a full-size SD and accepts SDHC natively (the SDHC hacks for the 650 and 700 series phones were taken from the 680). People are happily using 8 GB SDHC cards in their 680s.
    The 680 has had almost no problems other than the battery life, which has already been addressed twice by Palm. The 700 has had numerous problems that still have not been fixed over a year later. Why is this even a question???
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    The 680 has had almost no problems other than the battery life, which has already been addressed twice by Palm. The 700 has had numerous problems that still have not been fixed over a year later. Why is this even a question???
    To be honest, I am worried about making the wrong decision.
    I currently own a Motorola V635i cell phone and I am *really* unhappy with it.
    I have read some positive opinions about the Treo 680 and on the other hand, some owners are really disatisifed.
    I don't know whether the 680 or something in the 700 series or even another manufacturer is the right purchase.
    I am looking for direction - please.
    Regards,

Allan C.
    If you reading opinions here, then you're mostly going to see complaints. But, there have been very few threads addressing problems with the 680. The "New Posts" pages are inundated with threads about the problems with all the 7xx series devices.

Unless you're worried about a newer device coming out soon and being stuck with whatever you choose now, I think the 680 is definitely the way to go. That is IF you're determined to stay with the Palm OS. Users seem happy with the 755, which seems to be a CDMA version of the 680 with a few tweaks. Does Roger's let you have a trial period like the service providers here? Go play with a 680 and see what ya think...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    If Does Roger's let you have a trial period like the service providers here? Go play with a 680 and see what ya think...
    Rogers has a 30 day/30 minute trial ... whichever comes first.
    Regards,

Allan C.
    Is Rogers CDMA or GSM? The 680 is a GSM phone while the 700P and 755 are both CDMA phones. You can't use a CDMA phone on a GSM network.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post

duke
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Is Rogers CDMA or GSM? The 680 is a GSM phone while the 700P and 755 are both CDMA phones. You can't use a CDMA phone on a GSM network.
    They are GST which is why the 680 is the most current.
    My original post was whether to purchase the 680 *now* or wait for a unit that is Palm OS based (and GSM).
    Regards,

Allan C.
    And that's why I said you should get the 680...
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post

umm i thought the 750 is the lateset GSM phone? if they dont offer it in canada, get it unlocked and your good to go. its a windows phone tho.
    Get a 650 for cheap now and upgrade when a better Treo comes out. I'm using a 650, and waiting for something worth upgrading for. The 680 isn't much of an upgrade, especially considering the (lack of) battery life.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    The lack of battery life is really a non-issue now...
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    allanc, how do you plan to use the 680, as a general all around use or strictly heavy power user. for me I have only a few 3rd party apps, I check email 2-3 times a day make about 1-2hrs worh of phone calls and occasionally surf the net. Battery is very good, but if I start to listen to music I only get about 6hrs of life.