Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Note: Below is my personal rambling on why I am going back to Palm OS. You may agree or disagree with it. That is fine, you are free to have your own opinion.

Last week I had my HTC TyTn (with Windows Mobile 6) and wanted to look up a phone number for a contact I had while I was waiting with some friends. I had to remove my stylus and it probably took around 45 seconds for me to find the actual number. This was based on the time it took for me to open the application and the time it actually took for the app to open. It was at this point that I wondered why I never left Palm OS in the first place.

I started using PDAs back with the Palm IIIxe. I went on to the Palm V, various Sony Clies, the Tungstens, a few different Zarurus machines, and a number of IPaq and Dell Pocket PCs, to the Treo 600 and 650. I was always happy with my Palm OS machines. They were quick, did want I wanted, and were easy to use. Somewhere down the line I got it in my head the Palm OS was to basic. It was probably all of the anti Palm OS rants spewed on the internet I thought I wanted something with more functionallity. I sold my 650 and went to the Sprint PPC-6600, later the 6700, then the Treo 750, and finally the HTC TyTn.

Every day I would read on the forums that Palm OS is dead. That Windows Mobile is more powerful than Palm OS. I read that you can do so much more with Windows Mobile. Why would anyone want to use Palm OS? It seemed Palm OS was a joke. I now realize that I don't really care what people say anymore. Palm OS just works. I can do everything I wanted to do on Windows Mobile on my new Treo 680. My 680 is faster than any Windows Mobile device I have ever used. In fact I bet my Treo 600 and Tungsten are faster than any WM device. I just read an old post on this forum dating back to 2005 that someone bumped saying Palm OS is dead. People have been saying the OS is dead for years. Yet it is still around, if the Palm Linux OS is ever release you better believe that Palm will include an emulator for it's thousands of legacy applications.

Below is a sample list of the things I used (or tried to use) on my WM devices and next to them is a comment if I can do the same on my Palm device.

SlingPlayer - Yes the Palm version is in Beta.
    Skype - Yes I saw an J2ME client from EQO
    Remote Desktop, VPN, VNC, SSH- Yes, Yes, Yes Yes
    Games - Yes including NES emulator
    TomTom - Yes
    Video/MP3 - Yes
    Audible - Yes
    MS Office Apps - Yes (Docs to Go is better than the MS apps even in WM 7 and Mobile Office 2007)

So what doesn't my 680 have:
    3G- I don't live in a Cingular 3G area. I don't see Cingular upgrading my area for a long time to come.
    WiFi - I used the WiFi on my Windows Mobile devices once, and that was during the original setup and testing. I never found the need to use WiFi on a Treo before especially if it has EDGE for data.
    MSReader - There doesn't seem to be a version of MS Reader for Palm. No big hit there 90% of my eBooks are in eReader format anyway.

What Does my 680 Have that my WM Devices Didn't:
    320x320 Display
    Ease of Use
    Speed of UI
    Not Being Locking into a MS-Centric World

To all of those naysayers out there; keep saying that Palm OS is dead. Keep saying it isn't a real OS. Keep saying that WM does everything better. I am sticking with Palm OS because it works for me.
    I went from Treo 650 to Nokia E61 back to Treo 650 then to HTC 8525, then back to 650, and now a 680.

Agree with everything you said!
    The slideouts, 8525 (TyTN) are nightmares of usability IMO. It's no wonder such devices would frustrate folks back to Palm OS.

That said, I have to agree that I have less reasons nowadays against Palm OS. Google Maps, Slingbox, accessorizer to name a few. Big problems still do exist however, such as Blazer. Ugh
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Yeah Blazer isn't the best but there are other options like Xino and Opera Mini.
    I was seduced by the dark side once several years ago....never again!
    The problem with the PalmOS was not that anyone was claiming "it's not a real OS" (whatever that means) just that serious development of the OS stopped years ago and there are some significant gaps (e.g. no 3g for GSM) and some stability issues here and there.

Now WM had that too but with all the AKU's and now WM6, I'll say it's finally quite stable (not perfect, but much better than AKU 1.x).

Either way, a better comparison would have been your PalmOS Treo to a WM5 Treo, since now you can rule out

1) HTC design flaws/customization
    2) form factor differences

Personally I think the 700wx is an amazing device with great work by Palm's engineers (and lets be honest: this has less to do with the differences to the OS and more to do with Palm's quality engineers and ease-of-use philosophy).

But everyone has their preferences and I don't see many arguing against what people just plain prefer. The debates/arguments start when someone advocates in a thread OS x is better than OS y and are trolling for a fight.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    and just to give some balance to this discussion - I was (yes, past tense) a long time Palm OS user - 10 years, and a HEAVY user at that. I had about every hack, tweak, applet, add-on known to man, and was definitely a power user. Name an app, and I'd tried it, used it, kept it or rejected it. My device history went like this (more or less - there might have been a couple in there that I missed)
    Pilot 1000
    Palm Pilot (later updated with the 1Mb card)
    Palm III
    Palm V (and they might have had another version of the V I used as well)
    I used the Omnisky wireless service, with that snap-on model for the back
    Kyocera 6035
    Treo300

and when the 700w launched on Verizon, I had to see if WM was all that I'd heard it was. I got one right when it launched. I now have a 700wx.

Bottom line? I can't imagine ever using a Palm OS device again. To me the major weakness of the Palm OS are their PIM apps, and that is the prime reason I use WM. Yes I know about Agendus, etc - I used and loved that app for years - but the OUT OF THE BOX pim apps are terrible on the Palm OS. Just my opinion.

All the hacks and stuff I needed on my Palm OS devices aren't needed at all on my 700wx. I like the UI much better, and the multi-tasking rocks.

Is it perfect? No - there are some things about POS that I like, and there are some things about WM that I like. The perfect OS to me would incorporate about 65% WM and about 35% POS.

We'll see what the future holds, but for me, right now, it's WM all the way. Just one guy's opinion.
    Um, it took you 45 seconds to find a contact huh? Well in WM6 all it takes is you typing a name in using the keyboard on the Today Screen and it'll populate the matches you have. That takes what, about 5 seconds? I don't care if you like Palm OS better, but really, your excuse is really not even close to being a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Um, it took you 45 seconds to find a contact huh? Well in WM6 all it takes is you typing a name in using the keyboard on the Today Screen and it'll populate the matches you have. That takes what, about 5 seconds? I don't care if you like Palm OS better, but really, your excuse is really not even close to being a good one.
    Right. It also sounds like he didn't know (or want to know) that there are today screen plugins that greatly assist in things like finding contacts. Back in the days of my KJAM, PocketBreeze allowed me to locate and dial (even email) contacts in no time at all.

Now I am spoiled by Palm's today search function.

With the exception of the 320 x 320 screen res, it seems like these seem pretty weak also:

What Does my 680 Have that my WM Devices Didn't:
    320x320 Display
    Ease of Use
    Speed of UI
    Not Being Locking into a MS-Centric World
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    in fact, I've found as I've talked with both Palm OS and WM Treo users, that the WM users almost always find it easier to use, ESPECIALLY for the contact look up and dial process, due <specifically> to the simple 'type a name or a number' toolbar at the top.

'course, Palm OS devices can do the exact same thing with a couple of changes to the Display Options on the Phone app: 'typing starts contact search' and also 'show wallpaper' rather than 'show dialpad'. But I've found that most people never make that change, and go through the clunky 'go to the Contacts favorite button, and THEN do a search.' That is such a waste of time - make it easier you Palm OS users you!!
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Like I said we will all have our own opinions. Obviously there are going to be people on both sides of the fence. Hopefully those on each side have at least tried the other to compare the two and find the one that suits them the best. I am just happy when I hit a button or program it opens instantly. I no longer have to wait and stare and the WM spinning 4 color ball icon
    I am sure that there are good points on both sides of the fence. I personally like the PalmOS. My 700p has many issues, but still, Palm OS is still the best for ease of use. I hope the new Linus OS for Palm will keep the same look and feel.
    GadgetAddict
    Mililani, HI

Palm Pilot 1000>Palm V>Palm505>PalmT/T>Treo 650>Treo700p
    I like Windows, and I think I always will. You gotta understand that phones like the 6700 and the TyTn are slideouts, so to type something, it's gonna take a while. However, the Treos can be used one-handed for pretty much anything, and especially on a 700wx, you've got plenty of RAM to use, so it's pretty fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by jontsujimura View Post
    I am sure that there are good points on both sides of the fence. I personally like the PalmOS. My 700p has many issues, but still, Palm OS is still the best for ease of use. I hope the new Linus OS for Palm will keep the same look and feel.
    Same FEEL but by all means, get a new look! lol. I'm lil tired of the stone age interface
    On the issue of looking up the contacts, I don't have a TyTn, but couldn't you have slid out the keyboard, pressed the start menu button, gone to contacts, and just typed the name of the contact? What did you need to take out your stylus for? It shouldn't take more than 10 seconds to look up a number really...
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I agree with much of what's been said. WebDave, you really need to compare a WM Treo with a POS Treo for a true comparison. There's a stunning difference between a typical HTC-designed WM device and a WM Treo. I went from a Treo 600 to a PPC-6700 (slide-out keyboard), and now to a Treo 700wx. Usability on the 6700 stunk, and it was sluggish feeling.

The 700wx is fantastic by comparison, and is quite speedy. (my mom has a 680 and the 700wx is noticably quicker when switching apps) I still appreciate and (occasionally) miss Palm OS, but I'm very comfortable with WM as long as Palm's name is on the device.
    I owned a PPC-6700 with Windows Mobile 5.0 and switched to Palm OS, there was a world of difference in term of software performance. Palm is simple and QUICK. Also it doesn't crash and freeze as often as WM 5.0 did.

WM 6.0 might be the future, but phone companies/Microsoft need to tailor the software to better suit a phone, not a computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by dslisfree View Post

WM 6.0 might be the future, but phone companies/Microsoft need to tailor the software to better suit a phone, not a computer.
    That's why companies like Palm have come along and added it's "special sauce" to the WM OS to make it more phone-friendly. That's why also, many here are saying that a comparison using a WM Treo would be more appropriate. With many other WM5 devices, you really need to add your own "special sauce" to customize it to be more phone friendly.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I agree with your position of Palm OS not being dead yet. Look at how many people use Treo's to date...and the many IT departments that support Treo's across the Globe. Its far from dead. And regardless of the lack of revolutionary changes, the Palm OS is still formidable in its own right.

But let me point a few things out...

Quote Originally Posted by webdave View Post
    MS Office Apps - Yes (Docs to Go is better than the MS apps even in WM 7 and Mobile Office 2007)
    I didnt know WM7 had breath already...WM6 hasnt even reached all devices yet!

Quote Originally Posted by webdave View Post
    WiFi - I used the WiFi on my Windows Mobile devices once, and that was during the original setup and testing. I never found the need to use WiFi on a Treo before especially if it has EDGE for data.
    You stated that you dont have EDGE in your area, but do you have wifi at home or work or other common places? Maybe you dont, but I remember trolling the internet on my Treo 300/600/650 and wouldve loved to have wifi as an option!
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Palm OS is ALREADY dead. Dead in the sense that it no longer reigns supreme, head and shoulders above the rest. It is now just one of many players. Will it ever be truly extinct? I don't believe so. There will always be room for it eventhough it may be on the sidelines.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast