Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    No Wifi. But unlike your 700wzxqlk (the fifth edition of the same product) it does not come with mortar.
    Hyperbole. The 700wx is a 1st generation WM device for Palm...calling it a 5th edition is BS. Have you ever played with one? I'm serious when I say that the 700w that I had for a week was the best WM device I had ever used...but that the memory issues killed it for me.

I agree that Palm stinks when it comes to their POS...but they "get it" when it comes to form. I honestly don't like the size of the Q because I have larger hands...it slips out of my hand way to easy. I really like the size and shape of the Treo in my hand. I honestly have no complaints over the form factor.

As for some of the other "features" that we find lacking in Palm devices...I do honestly think that the carriers play a much bigger role in those decisions than Palm. Let's face it, Palm has been limping along the last few years and to get Sprint or VZW to carry and market their products in large quantities I'm sure they have to yield to some of their demands (most notably WiFi).

I'm not making excuses for Palm. There are dozens of things they aren't doing right. But I think there many reasons beyond them simply "not getting it" when it comes to customer wants/needs...although Foleo does me second guess this statement.

(Dang...I could find no way to use the word "techno-*****" in this post....oh wait, I just did.)
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
    Have you ever played with one? "techno-*****"
    I am offended, sir.

As for your Ted Kaczynski-esque manifesto on the 700WMzqmhk, you make my point to the previous poster that Palm is an outdated OS. The fact that this behemoth of a machine fits comfortably in your huge mitts does not make it attractive to a normal person with human hands.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    I am offended, sir.

As for your Ted Kaczynski-esque manifesto on the 700WMzqmhk, you make my point to the previous poster that Palm is an outdated OS. The fact that this behemoth of a machine fits comfortably in your huge mitts does not make it attractive to a normal person with human hands.
    Zug Zug. Ready to work.
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Thank you Johnny Mac. That is great advice about changing the display options on the Phone App. I did it and it's so much easier to find a contact.
    I've owned 22 PDAs in the past 9 years and I've tried just about everything. IMO, Palm is a dying, outdated POS. If it's so simple, why has it taken over a year to patch the 700? If it so reliable, why does it crash so often?

The horse and carriage was simple and reliable too, but times change, too bad Palm hasn't. In fact with the Foolio, it's gone backwards.
    Sorry, have to disagree with you totally. The number of PDAs you have owned isn't necessarily a testimony to your knowledge or experience. Most people who breeze through that many PDAs are just too hard to please or bore easily.

IT Technology in general, with PDAs as a prime example, has been moving towards the "appliance" concept for many years. An appliance basically does job that we need, and we use it until it wears out. We don't chuck it every time we get bored or something a little flashier or a little faster comes out. It stands to reason that the OS running such an appliance would maintain a certain household continuity. Windows hasn't changed remarkably in any of it's interface for the past several years. It was only with Vista that they made any noticeable changes to the interface or under the hood. Palm, has made most of it's changes under the hood, maintaining an interface that is simple, WORKS, is far more stable than you think, and is still the chosen platform of most users and most businesses as testified to by the number of units out there and the number of 3rd party apps available.

Now, you suggest that Palm hasn't been able to resolve problems with the 700p. I would suggest that, maybe, they are just backlogged. The 700p is only one device they develop for. That the 755p came out, supposedly with all the fixes that should be on the 700p as well as some product changes, is probably just bad timing. BUT, how many times (MANY) has MicroSoft or one of their partners, produced a product that needed fixes, or wasn't "quite there yet" (i.e., HP IPAQ 1900 series, EVERY Windows version EVER)? Instead of fixing the problems, they just released another version you had to buy, leaving loyal customers who shelled out some serious change for the earlier version, hanging.

Palm has a history from the beginning, of producing OS upgrades and fixes etc. that correct problems, improve speed, add functionality etc. that can be upgraded to, often for FREE, by users with devices that are back level by several generations.

Windows Mobile developers have a history of producing some really cool, pretty expensive devices that fall short of the mark and then are not upgradeable, either due to hardware limitations, or the fact that the company is putting its energy into the next generation of device, even if the device you bought is only 6 months to a year old.

As for stability, none of these units are completely stable. They are computers with phones built in that we can put in our pockets. We tolerate so much from our desktops and laptops (reboots, blue screens etc.) that we won't accept in our pocket devices. But, historically, all the Windows mobile powered phones spend a lot more time needing to be rebooted than the Palm devices. They are consistently more poorly reviewed by technologists and users alike.

So, I say to you, that Palm is not dead, is still being written for by far more businesses than Windows Mobile and will be around for many years to come. I also suggest to you that, when the Linux re-write finally occurs, there will be another shift in market share. It took MicroSoft 20 years to write Dos out of their OS and come close to what Apple has already been doing for 20 years. If Palm is a year or two behind a serious update on a product that is already better and more stable? I can wait.
    I would argue the Q is better than the 750.
    I would definitely disagree with you, because (1) I really like my touchscreen. (2) Flexmail, my email program of choice doesnt work as well as on the Treos. (3) The software library simply isnt as big as pocketpc.

Having said that the 320x240 screen on the Q is simply heads and shoulders above my crappy dim 700wx screen. The bluetooth according to reports is also superior. Due to Palm's lack of innovation, I do think my next phone will probably be a Q successor.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    So, I say to you, that Palm is not dead, is still being written for by far more businesses than Windows Mobile and will be around for many years to come. I also suggest to you that, when the Linux re-write finally occurs, there will be another shift in market share. It took MicroSoft 20 years to write Dos out of their OS and come close to what Apple has already been doing for 20 years. If Palm is a year or two behind a serious update on a product that is already better and more stable? I can wait.
    Is that why developers have left the Palm Platform en masse? What about Fitaly who left the Palm dev platform because each time Palm came out with an OS revision it would break their software? What about companies like Agendus who felt the business need to provide WM versions of their applications? It's a plain fact that Palm ignored their developer community for so long.

Plus, Palm OS software development is 2nd tier now. The primary platform to get software out for now is WM. Sling is a perfect example. How long did it take Sling to get the client out for Palm? Why wasn't it a priority over a WM version?

BUT, how many times (MANY) has MicroSoft or one of their partners, produced a product that needed fixes, or wasn't "quite there yet" (i.e., HP IPAQ 1900 series, EVERY Windows version EVER)? Instead of fixing the problems, they just released another version you had to buy, leaving loyal customers who shelled out some serious change for the earlier version, hanging.
    Hmmm.....You are referring to HP. Other OEM's have been much better at providing service pack updates and fixes. Dell was great at that. Well, I guess the free update for most devices (except HP) to WM6 doesn't count?
    Last edited by JGold; 06/03/2007 at 02:28 PM.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Most people who breeze through that many PDAs are just too hard to please or bore easily.
    Guilty. People like me have been leaving Palm en masse for the past two years, which is why Palm is withering on the vine.
    Foolio me once, shame on you...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123