Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48
  1. #21  
    i tried the 8125 for a week and dumped it. I personally believe these slide out ppcs make no sense if you like to type on the move
  2. fly888's Avatar
    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    I was seduced by the dark side once several years ago....never again!
    same.
  3. #23  
    I've always swapped back and forth up til a couple of years ago when the Palm OS just stopped development and WM kept going forward. Shame really, but the new Linux POS should get the competition going again.

    WM has a variety of devices to choose from, POS really just has the Treo, which is a great device, but it locks you into one form factor without any other features that other companies add (like HTC adds to its PPCs)
  4. #24  
    3G is the reason I went with the Treo 750 after my PDA died. I don't know which I would have chosen if both supported 3G (though the plus of a better resolution on PalmOS would have been a factor).
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Um, it took you 45 seconds to find a contact huh? Well in WM6 all it takes is you typing a name in using the keyboard on the Today Screen and it'll populate the matches you have. That takes what, about 5 seconds? I don't care if you like Palm OS better, but really, your excuse is really not even close to being a good one.
    That's what I was wondering too! He could have also used Voice dial which is built in to WM6. If you don't know how to use a device, say so. Don't dog it.

    FWIW, I was a Palm/Treo buff for number of years, but I changed to WM about a year ago and I've not looked back. Feature set, ease of use, customizability, 3rd party apps, HW support - all superior to Plam IMO.

    All this talk of the WM being confusing or hard to operate is bogus!
  6. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #26  
    The Q is far superior to anything Palm has ever made.
  7. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    The Q is far superior to anything Palm has ever made.
    Platitudes, platitudes.
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
  8. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
    Platitudes, platitudes.
    Luminary my keister. The incrementalism of Palm wasn't good enough so they have taken a step backward with the Foolio. What's next, a new analog system? Take the plunge and try a new technology, you may just like it son.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    The Q is far superior to anything Palm has ever made.
    Well I wouldn't say a Q is far superior to any Windows Mobile device, especially a Windows Mobile Treo.

    Motorola's quality control especially with pda-style devices has been pathetic at best.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  10. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Well I wouldn't say a Q is far superior to any Windows Mobile device, especially a Windows Mobile Treo.

    Motorola's quality control especially with pda-style devices has been pathetic at best.
    I'll try this again, the Q is far superior to anything Palm has ever made.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    I'll try this again, the Q is far superior to anything Palm has ever made.
    Palm made the Treo 750, no? Or you being technical and considering that HTC makes the 750?
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  12. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Palm made the Treo 750, no? Or you being technical and considering that HTC makes the 750?
    I would argue the Q is better than the 750.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    I would argue the Q is better than the 750.
    The Q keyboard is terrible. So are the right and left soft keys. Nevermind the quality control issues that plague the Q's. My friend went through 7 of them (yes 7!) to the point where Motorola offered him the opportunity to review future devices.

    QA issues aside, the Smartphone OS doesn't compare in many ways to it's fuller and more robust brother. It's not meant to. So in many respects the Q is weaker than a 750.

    Anyways, I'd take a Blackjack over a Q anyday.

    I commend Palm for making the Treo the best combination of phone/Windows Mobile PDA available.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  14. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post

    Anyways, I'd take a Blackjack over a Q anyday.
    We can agree on that.
  15. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #35  
    I'm picking up a 700wx because I loved the 700w but hated the memory issues. Is it a perfect device? No....but I'd take a 700w (without the memory) over a 6700 any day...so the 700wx, IMO, is light years ahead of that genre.

    As for the Q, I think it feels flimsy and junky. And I hate the "smartphone" edition of Windows Mobile. So the Q is a non-starter for me. I'm not saying its a bad device, but there are MANY devices (including Treos) that beat it for what I want and need in a smartphone.

    (yes toilet-head...I know...the 700wx doesn't have wi-fi. Other than configuring Wi-fi to see if it worked, I never once used Wi-fi on my 6700)
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
  16. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #36  
    I thought the Q was flimsy at first too, then I realized it was because I was used to carrying around a brick. The Q is a solid phone, I've dropped mine several times without any issues. The only time I replaced it was to get a black one, unlike the six 700Ps I had. I could never go back to something as heavy as a Treo or 6700 again.

    Although I do miss the endless resets.
  17. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    I thought the Q was flimsy at first too, then I realized it was because I was used to carrying around a brick.
    Swirrly-boy, I didn't realize you actually had a Q. Can you tell me something? How strong is the Wi-fi signal on that thing?
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
    Palm OS is ALREADY dead. Dead in the sense that it no longer reigns supreme, head and shoulders above the rest. It is now just one of many players. Will it ever be truly extinct? I don't believe so. There will always be room for it eventhough it may be on the sidelines.
    As a Palm user, almost since there was a Palm, and a Pocket PC user since Pocket PC (Now Windows Mobile) actually became a contender in 2002, I have to say that your assessment, common as it is, is MS propaganda.

    First, though you are correct in that Palm no longer "reigns supreme" in the sense that it doesn't have the market share it once did, it does have such a tremendous foothold in the depth and breadth of past and present 3rd party app development that WM will NEVER surpass it. Why? because Palm is simple and stable. The vast majority of business related mobile applications, from back office, to machine shop, to warehouse management, to delivery, to remote maintenance etc. are developed and run on Palm devices.

    Second, let's talk about lack of change. The Palm OS, long ago, accomplished what most people needed it to do. Normal users, meaning most of the mobile computing market, just want to be able to make calls, manage their lives, check e-mail and get the occasional info off the web. For that, Palm is the quickest, easiest solution. The only people that THINK they need to eek out that extra bit are geeks and their are a lot less of us than you think.

    Palm OS devices have always been drive them til they die devices and it takes a long time to kill them. Most users buy one and use it for YEARS. I have a friend who just laid his Palm IIIx to rest six months ago and he bought it when it was new. He's a toy guy, but his just worked so he kept it.

    Something simple that just works is what most of us really want. That's why Blackberry has taken off so much. It's now what most people need.
  19. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    As a Palm user, almost since there was a Palm, and a Pocket PC user since Pocket PC (Now Windows Mobile) actually became a contender in 2002, I have to say that your assessment, common as it is, is MS propaganda.

    First, though you are correct in that Palm no longer "reigns supreme" in the sense that it doesn't have the market share it once did, it does have such a tremendous foothold in the depth and breadth of past and present 3rd party app development that WM will NEVER surpass it. Why? because Palm is simple and stable. The vast majority of business related mobile applications, from back office, to machine shop, to warehouse management, to delivery, to remote maintenance etc. are developed and run on Palm devices.

    Second, let's talk about lack of change. The Palm OS, long ago, accomplished what most people needed it to do. Normal users, meaning most of the mobile computing market, just want to be able to make calls, manage their lives, check e-mail and get the occasional info off the web. For that, Palm is the quickest, easiest solution. The only people that THINK they need to eek out that extra bit are geeks and their are a lot less of us than you think.

    Palm OS devices have always been drive them til they die devices and it takes a long time to kill them. Most users buy one and use it for YEARS. I have a friend who just laid his Palm IIIx to rest six months ago and he bought it when it was new. He's a toy guy, but his just worked so he kept it.

    Something simple that just works is what most of us really want. That's why Blackberry has taken off so much. It's now what most people need.
    I've owned 22 PDAs in the past 9 years and I've tried just about everything. IMO, Palm is a dying, outdated POS. If it's so simple, why has it taken over a year to patch the 700? If it so reliable, why does it crash so often?

    The horse and carriage was simple and reliable too, but times change, too bad Palm hasn't. In fact with the Foolio, it's gone backwards.
  20. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
    Swirrly-boy, I didn't realize you actually had a Q. Can you tell me something? How strong is the Wi-fi signal on that thing?
    No Wifi. But unlike your 700wzxqlk (the fifth edition of the same product) it does not come with mortar.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions