Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Don`t YOU think people should learn to use the english language properly? Would you tell this person that it`s okay to continue on misspelling, using run-on sentences and communicating incoherently? If so, that would be doing him a great disservice. How will that help him in the future? Tell me, do you think he`ll impress a college admissions officer or an employer if he is expressing himself this way?!
    I didnt think he posted to impress anyone; but thats just my opinion. The bottom line, most of the responses were about "grammar."

In regards to your question - Probably not; I'm not here to be his teacher or judge.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    so he should just go on speaking that way,then, shouldn't he?
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    The more mini treo's you get below your member's ID, the more anal retentive they get around here...
    I want a mini treo......didn't realize you need to have 1000 posts to get one.
    This site really makes you work, or actually not work to earn the treos
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex View Post
    That was funny!

Anyway, I hope all of you feel so much better for taking the time to jump all in the OP's behind! And for what? Because you think you have perfect grammar or think he asked a dumb question?!?
    It's just proper forum etiquette to use proper grammar (look at his sentences, imagine if people talked like that in real life) and to not ask questions that have already been answered or don't really have an answer. If you go against the common forum etiquette and someone calls you out for it, is it acceptable to think that they're wrong and to go about calling people names like a little child? I don't think so and I think most people would agree....
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    It's just proper forum etiquette to use proper grammar (look at his sentences, imagine if people talked like that in real life) and to not ask questions that have already been answered or don't really have an answer. If you go against the common forum etiquette and someone calls you out for it, is it acceptable to think that they're wrong and to go about calling people names like a little child? I don't think so and I think most people would agree....
    Actually people DO talk that way in real life. I am pretty much a stickler for good grammar and spelling, but I have also learned by experience that some very intelligent people can not spell or write worth a damn and I have learned a lot from them. Intelligence is not necessarily linked to good grammar, punctuation and coherent writing.

It is frequently pointed out here that not doing a pre-search before asking a question is a breach of etiquette. And yes, I agree that calling people names over bad grammar and spelling is childish. People who resort to that are demonstrating poor EMOTIONAL intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Actually people DO talk that way in real life. I am pretty much a stickler for good grammar and spelling, but I have also learned by experience that some very intelligent people can not spell or write worth a damn and I have learned a lot from them. Intelligence is not necessarily linked to good grammar, punctuation and coherent writing.

It is frequently pointed out here that not doing a pre-search before asking a question is a breach of etiquette. And yes, I agree that calling people names over bad grammar and spelling is childish. People who resort to that are demonstrating poor EMOTIONAL intelligence.

As the only person doing the namecalling is hotis300boy, we certainly can learn a lot from that. Intelligence can coincide with poor grammar in some cases, but the namecalling combined with bad grammar shows no evidence of that here.
    Last edited by treobk214; 05/28/2007 at 12:23 PM.
  7.    #27  
    Don`t YOU think people should learn to use the english language properly? Would you tell this person that it`s okay to continue misspelling words, using run-on sentences and communicating incoherently? If so, that would be doing him a great disservice. How will that help him in the future? Tell me, do you think he`ll impress a college admissions officer or an employer if he is expressing himself that way?!?
    i love how much attention this thread eneded up getting. Online I am not grammer perfect or anything of that nature for the life of me, for your info never judge the book by its cover, I hold a bachelor's and a master's degree in business and I am only 24, luck didn't get me there. However my point in even bothering to reply to all this is I am not online to really care how someone judges a post, its ONLINE for god sakes, some of these peope just need to get a life. Now could I have been a bit more clear in my post and perhaps a bit more grammitically correct, sure, but WHO CARES? anyhow thanks for all the laughs, my venting got me a warning on here. haha
    So those degrees by e-mail do actually deliver?

Surur
    Rotflmao!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    ...I hold a bachelor's and a master's degree in business...
    No picture no proof. j/k

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today (or maybe everyday).
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by dslisfree View Post
    No picture no proof. j/k

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today (or maybe everyday).
    lol I LOVE you guys, I just figured I should reply for the heck of it, I just love how over analytical people can be online. Degrees are from University of Central Florida THANK YOU VERY MUCH .
    I did love the online degree joke, too funny, in any case haha joke was on me so hope all is well in the community and I guess we all wait on the same thing, the new device.
    In all seriousness, I wonder if this is a generational thing. I first used the internet in university (more than 15 years ago), and to me posting on a message board is more akin to writing a short letter, vs. speaking. Our friend was probably lol'ing with his friends since his early teens and does not quite see things the same way.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    In all seriousness, I wonder if this is a generational thing. I first used the internet in university (more than 15 years ago), and to me posting on a message board is more akin to writing a short letter, vs. speaking. Our friend was probably lol'ing with his friends since his early teens and does not quite see things the same way.

Surur

You have a point there, surur. The text messaging thing really has had a big impact on how young people communicate nowadays. Everything is creatively abbreviated now.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    so he should just go on speaking that way,then, shouldn't he?
    I'm sensing control freak coming from these posts....

Unbelievable how people jumped down his throat and were so ready to tell him how stupid he is.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by njchris View Post
    I'm sensing control freak coming from these posts....

Unbelievable how people jumped down his throat and were so ready to tell him how stupid he is.
    I know and of course I can be just as judgemental in saying that what are the personalities of these people around their friends and family considering they are so judging of others. Are they insecure? Are they over analytical? But at the end of the day, WHO CARES!!! hehe heres an interesting website I came across today which might make these other folks feel better http://www.pravsworld.com/new/pravsworld.htm
    lol. control freak? How about someone who simply asks that internet posting be intelligible as opposed to gibberish? How's that?
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    hehe heres an interesting website I came across today which might make these other folks feel better http://www.pravsworld.com/new/pravsworld.htm
    Are you posting that site as an example of awful grammar, or because you recommend its content?
    Ok folks...play nice alright? Be nice to the newbies...although the newbies should not be soooo curt and obnoxious as well. Remember the responses you get have a lot to do with the way you post a question as well... Right now I'll let this thread go on but lets try to get back on topic huh?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12