1.    #1  
    but not for Treo yet...

"Google Maps' capability for the mobile environment won us over a long time ago. Alas, it was just a matter of time before GPS integration was unveiled in Google Maps for Mobile. That day recently arrived, and Google's mobile maps software will now use the GPS capability of many newer handsets (with GPS carrier support) to pinpoint your location and make directions and navigation just that much nicer. Right now, handset compatibility is a little hit-n-miss (with carriers too), but that is sure to change soon. We do know that AT&T's BlackBerry 8800 works as well as most Helio models. For Sprint, Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile handsets, you'll have to keep checking to see when your day in the sun comes. Our conclusion? Free Google Maps with GPS support is, well, very nice."

engadget article
    dude I9e been using GPS with my Google Maps for about 5 months now (maybe longer). Probably longer.

Old news here, and about a week ago some other blog posted this, and the universal reaction was 'hey - this isn't news - this has been in place for a long time'.

So I'm not sure why this is just now getting around.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    dude I9e been using GPS with my Google Maps for about 5 months now (maybe longer). Probably longer.

Old news here, and about a week ago some other blog posted this, and the universal reaction was 'hey - this isn't news - this has been in place for a long time'.

So I'm not sure why this is just now getting around.
    Native Palm app? I doubt it. So can it.
    didn't know about this eitehr ... must be living under a rock.... now we need it on the treo
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I think the poster just found it on the Google site (http://www.google.com/gmm/gps.html?u...paign=gpspromo). They were probably unaware that there was a way to enhance Google Maps with GPS via a third party app (http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...&prodID=131735).
    If the third party app you mentioned is WhereAmI, it's not a fair comparison. WhereAmI sends your current BT GPS coordinates to GMaps, but isn't dynamic. Sure, you can run WhereAmI every 30 feet you move, but it's not the same as an integrated dynamic update.

I do hope the GPS-aware latest version of GMaps makes it to the Palm platform - it would definitely be useful if you don't already have TomTom/Garmin/whatever. Since the 8800 has built-in GPS hardware and the Treo doesn't, you're still going to need a BT GPS receiver.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    If Treo's don't have an in-built GPS soon, they're going to have some tough competition from other devices (mainly WM) that do have it, just because of the success and popularity of Google Maps for Mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    If Treo's don't have an in-built GPS soon, they're going to have some tough competition from other devices (mainly WM) that do have it, just because of the success and popularity of Google Maps for Mobile.
    Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

I prefer POS, GSM, HSDPA, Google Maps, and long battery life to having integrated GPS.

My Holux GPS works just fine, thank you very much. It also has its own battery so that the total battery life of the two devices covers most trips.
    I too would go for longer battery life (1.5 days is good). Does the GPS receiver consume too much power? Maybe it is time for two batteries in one device... one for the Phone functions and another for GPS/WiFi when it becomes available.
    The GPS could be powered on and off at will, in my view.. Therefore it wouldn't take any more power.

A built-in GPS would be nice, but the bluetooth one I have really does work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    The GPS could be powered on and off at will, in my view.. Therefore it wouldn't take any more power.............
    Perhaps. However, when using it, as on a trip, it seems to me that the battery life would be shorter than with a separate gps. Battery life in the latest generation of Treos is not up to what we have come to expect. This is before any of the goodies that we would like.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Perhaps. However, when using it, as on a trip, it seems to me that the battery life would be shorter than with a separate gps. Battery life in the latest generation of Treos is not up to what we have come to expect. This is before any of the goodies that we would like.
    Ah, on a trip I'd just plug it into the car charger like I always do with TomTom anyway :P
    Ah, on a trip I'd just plug it into the car charger like I always do with TomTom anyway :P
    I am very close to giving up and letting you win. However, you have a design assumption, i.e., that the GPS need only be on when needed. Based on recent designs, perhaps you give Palm too much credit.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I am very close to giving up and letting you win. However, you have a design assumption, i.e., that the GPS need only be on when needed. Based on recent designs, perhaps you give Palm too much credit.
    Aha, changed the direction.. I see.. Well, I can see it like Bluetooth, on or off.. But I'd hope it would only be on in use. Perhaps there could be bugs there, such as turned on but not turned off, etc, but GPS wouldn't need to be on all the time.
    Aha, changed the direction.. I see.. Well, I can see it like Bluetooth, on or off.. But I'd hope it would only be on in use. Perhaps there could be bugs there, such as turned on but not turned off, etc, but GPS wouldn't need to be on all the time.
    I agree with you. I am just wondering whether the Palm designers will. If they provide the control that you suggest, then you win. Few of us have won lately betting on Palm designers to win over the carriers and Palm marketing.