1.    #1  
    does anyone know if the treo is planning on integrating gps in their new version?

i'm looking at google maps with gps on the cingular blackberry and its freakin awesome:
    http://www.google.com/gmm/gps.html?u...ource=gpspromo

i want this on the treo but haven't heard of it being integrated yet... anyone know?
    Get yourself a bluetooth gps unit or one of those new GPS SD cards, install Google Maps on your Treo, and you're set. I use an old HP bluetooth GPS that I bought for an ipaq PDA and it works great.

The good thing / bad thing about Google Maps is that you're getting the map data from Google, so you don't need to have SD cards filled with map data. The negative of this is that you always need to be in wireless coverage to use Google Maps. Also, the Google Maps interface isn't as good as what you'd get from something like Tom-Tom, but it's good enough for me.... especially for the price!
    IMHO, not likely at all without a substantial per unit cost increase, and even then the size of the receiver would be an issue.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    or one of those new GPS SD cards,

What are these? Where can we get one?
    Laissez Faire
    Don't get an SD card receiver, you'll get tired of having to swap your SD card. And let's say you decide to get Tomtom or some other GPS program that uses the SD card for maps, how are you gonna store the maps and use the GPS at the same time? Go get a BT receiver.

In reality, Palm could easily put GPS in a regular sized (650/700 size, not like the 680/750 size), but when has Palm been known for putting in new technology in their phones and keeping up with their competitors? It's a great idea, but I don't think it's gonna happen any time soon. If it does, it'll probably be on the next Treo (supposedly coming out later this year, but I think it'll get delayed)
    I heard at the 3GSM show that Palm will have a GSM-enabled phone this year! Source was a GPS software company that works with Palm and other phone makers.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Even better, get yourself a GPS receiver with memory that can do data logging.

I put it on my love one car and then I download it to my PC and play on Google Earth and see where the love one went. Pretty cool stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Even better, get yourself a GPS receiver with memory that can do data logging.

I put it on my love one car and then I download it to my PC and play on Google Earth and see where the love one went. Pretty cool stuff!
    If this is your need for GPS, it sounds like you rather need a new "love".
    Did you install voice actived recorder in your loved one's cell phone too?
    Im picturing a car with tassles haning from the roof liner.

ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike700wx View Post
    Get yourself a bluetooth gps unit or one of those new GPS SD cards, install Google Maps on your Treo, and you're set. I use an old HP bluetooth GPS that I bought for an ipaq PDA and it works great.

The good thing / bad thing about Google Maps is that you're getting the map data from Google, so you don't need to have SD cards filled with map data. The negative of this is that you always need to be in wireless coverage to use Google Maps. Also, the Google Maps interface isn't as good as what you'd get from something like Tom-Tom, but it's good enough for me.... especially for the price!
    Yeah, but it can't track your position. What if I make a wrong turn? How long do I have now that I've been driving for 5 min. to get there?

Using Where Am I and Google Maps is a bit of a pain, every time you want to know where you are you have to re-enter the directions you want. Why can't it give us real-time tracking from the GPS receiver?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cat View Post
    Yeah, but it can't track your position. What if I make a wrong turn? How long do I have now that I've been driving for 5 min. to get there?

Using Where Am I and Google Maps is a bit of a pain, every time you want to know where you are you have to re-enter the directions you want. Why can't it give us real-time tracking from the GPS receiver?
    Well, the versions of Google Maps for WM and Blackberry support GPS...
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Well, the versions of Google Maps for WM and Blackberry support GPS...
    Yes, but does it do real-time GPS position tracking or just one-time position location? Nothing I've read indicates that it'll do real-time tracking.
    I received the Palm GPS Smartphone Ed.3 yesterday for my 755p and it works great!

http://store.palm.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2608806&creativeID=RMFB|accessories_gps3_199_mir