Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    http://morningpaper.typepad.com/morn..._of_800p_.html

Rumors Of 800p Are True!

Sure, maybe you were already confident in this rumor but I can tell you having just heard word from a VERY reliable source, Palm will be releasing the 800p this year, and Sprint will have it later in the year. Like Sprints 8830 the 800p looks to be an unlocked GSM/CDMA device allowing you wiggle room when outside of the US. Some of the other features look to include:

Sprint Treo World Phone with:
    International GPS
    International Data
    Rev A speeds

These features cannot be substantiated at the moment, but they are the specs being floated around our sources eardrums. What is of no quandary for us is the emanate arrival of a new Palm device called the 800p and it's subsequent branding on Sprint. Stay tuned for more details.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Thats hilarious!!!!

Is it April's fool again already?

Surur
    Does Sprint work ANYWHERE except the US? So basically you're claiming it'll be CDMA/GSM?
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    I'm not claiming anything but that's what the article seems to be claiming.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Dual radios? Very possible, I suppose. Blackberry 8830 will do this for Sprint and Verizon, why not Treo 800P?.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Does Sprint work ANYWHERE except the US? So basically you're claiming it'll be CDMA/GSM?
    I'm not saying this rumor is true or not, although Palm and Sprint have a very strong relationship.

But "world phones" on Sprint are not new at all, in fact the Samsung IP-830w is just that: CDMA/GSM world phone, running WM5.

So I would consider this at least quite plausible.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Whats implausible is a PalmOS phone jumping into the deep end like this.

Surur
    Sprint has a basic problem when trying to appeal to the international traveler crowd. Text messages.

A text message from a subscriber on one carrier won't reach a subscriber on another carrier unless there is a contract between the two carriers.

Sprint (apparently) does not have a lot of contracts between it and the myriad of mobile phone carriers outside the U.S.

These two points were relayed to me by Sprint tech support when I opened up a support ticket on why I could get text messages from the U.K. but not Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, and the U.A.E.

This is a problem that a phone doesn't solve. Corporate legwork and lawyers on an airplane are what solve this problem.

I personally would LOVE a dual radio phone and to be able to keep the Sprint SERO deal. But if you do business with people outside the U.S. and they send you text messages, Sprint apparently ain't the U.S. phone company for you.
    That does sound kool, but would be a mess of a device for Palm to program. Garnet is already iffy with GSM, I wonder how that would fare with GSM, CDMA, and EVDO as part of the fun.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Whats implausible is a PalmOS phone jumping into the deep end like this.

Surur
    Well, outside of the "P" at the end of the 800, we actually have no details about the OS.

It's fairly well established that Palm has their own linux OS (not ALP) to offer and that it is suppose to debut at the end of '07 (it coincidently handles multitasking, simultaneous voice and data usage and wifi) .

Plus, despite the "P" it could very well be a WM device, which could easily handle the CDMA/GSM switching as it does now.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 05/22/2007 at 02:44 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Well, outside of the "P" at the end of the 800, we actually have no details about the OS.

It's fairly well established that Palm has their own linux OS (not ALP) to offer and that it is suppose to debut at the end of '07 (it coincidently handles multitasking, simultaneous voice and data usage and wifi) .

Plus, despite the "P" it could very well be a WM device, which could easily handle the CDMA/GSM switching as it does now.
    Its the very same thing. Would you load your greatest phone ever with a brand new, untested OS. Thats just asking for delays after delays. Lets look at the new technologies for Palm - CDMA and GSM, EVDO Rev A, GPS, adding Linux to it is just asking for trouble.

This sounds more like a Treo 900 story.

Surur
    Its the very same thing. Would you load your greatest phone ever with a brand new, untested OS. Thats just asking for delays after delays. Lets look at the new technologies for Palm - CDMA and GSM, EVDO Rev A, GPS, adding Linux to it is just asking for trouble.

Surur
    There's a certain amount of logic to your thinking, Mr. Surur. Just the move to a new OS should cause a headache for anyone. New OS + new hardware to run it on = brain damage.

Surur
    Just like they wouldn't release a revolutionary 600 w/ an OS never used on smartphones?

Palm has been working on this OS for over two years. Hopefully this is what their beta testers have been working on all this time. To release it without their Linux OS would be a travesty but sadly not a surprise. We'll know more next week.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Just like they wouldn't release a revolutionary 600 w/ an OS never used on smartphones?

Palm has been working on this OS for over two years. Hopefully this is what their beta testers have been working on all this time. To release it without their Linux OS would be a travesty but sadly not a surprise. We'll know more next week.
    Isn't it a lot more fun just to make things up and then argue about the stuff we just made up?
    Tastypeppers, I'm not sure what you're talking about, but Jeff Hawkins has said in the past that there will be announcements at the conference scheduled for the end of this month.
    What I'm saying is that Jeff Hawkins will give us reality in a few days. Rather than be patient we (meaning me, myself, and I) prefer to imagine what he will announce, then rant that whatever we imagined is somehow lacking something critical.
    **Would you load your greatest phone ever with a brand new, untested OS. Thats just asking for delays after delays.**

Why did the iPhone just flash before my eyes?
    Patrick Horne
    I love how the iphone's os is referred to as "untested". Apple has been "testing" it since the day jobs announced the thing - probably well before that..

I don't think apple will pull a palm on this one. The fact that they are so rigid about not allowing 3rd party software tells you they're gearing this thing to be as airtight as possible.
    Does this phone fit the Hawkins criteria? Its not exactly revolutionary. Its much more likely another pump and dump scheme following the disappointing lack of new features in the Treo 755p.

Surur
    Tastyp,

Gotcha. The end of next week seems so impossibly far away.

Surur,

Yes, it doesn't exactly sound revolutionary. Hopefully we'll know more next week. I hope Jeff doesn't leave us with a few pics of Linux OS running on an emulator at a workstation. I want to see a real device. Hopefully they will also change the form factor and make it smaller like they did when going from the 300 to the 600.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast