Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I love this! We have no clue and its great. And next week does seem like months away but thats the exciting part. I hope palm come through with a "wow" device. if not there's always Treo 9000 to fall back on or the good folks at Sammy.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    It probably is a stock pump and dump scheme.
    First of all Surur just about every single post I read of yours I say to myself... self? yes self? damn that guy is smart. Self youre right!

Second,
    What a week next week will be! The Hawkins thing, and (hopefully) the MR for the 700.

Third, I dig it too, making chyt up and then arguing about it. I wonder if finally this 800 will have A2DP?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    There's a certain amount of logic to your thinking, Mr. Surur. Just the move to a new OS should cause a headache for anyone. New OS + new hardware to run it on = brain damage.
    OTOH, I can't see Palm releasing a new OS that supports real multitasking and offering it on the same old hardware that wasn't designed for it. Releasing what is essentially the 700p with a new OS will bore everyone. And trying to cobble all of the features described into Frankengarnet sounds darn near impossible.

To make any impression on the market, the new OS must come with a new phone that can take advantage of it. And (assuming there's any truth to the rumors about the phone's features) that hardware can't come with the old Palm OS.

Now then, is there any truth to the rumor? Considering the source "heard" about this from others, it seems doubtful.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    OTOH, I can't see Palm releasing a new OS that supports real multitasking and offering it on the same old hardware that wasn't designed for it. Releasing what is essentially the 700p with a new OS will bore everyone. And trying to cobble all of the features described into Frankengarnet sounds darn near impossible.

To make any impression on the market, the new OS must come with a new phone that can take advantage of it. And (assuming there's any truth to the rumors about the phone's features) that hardware can't come with the old Palm OS.

Now then, is there any truth to the rumor? Considering the source "heard" about this from others, it seems doubtful.

quite a conundrum to think about eh?
    There is no spoon.
    man, you gotta love silly season the third, fourth .... I've lost track
    There's always next year!
    if we are talking about the treo 800 it can't be anything that astoundingly different than the 755. these incremental numbers are a joke.
    Perry...where are you?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    First of all Surur just about every single post I read of yours I say to myself... self? yes self? damn that guy is smart. Self youre right!
    Why thank you

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post

Everything is possible, but such featuritis seems antithetical to the Palm we know. Also wont it stop them from slowly milking each generation for each new feature, i.e.

Treo 800 - EVDO Rev A
    Treo 850 EVDO Rev A + CDMA/GSM
    Treo 900 EVDO Rev A, CDMA/GSM and GPS

That seems more the Palm way to me.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Why thank you

Everything is possible, but such featuritis seems antithetical to the Palm we know. Also wont it stop them from slowly milking each generation for each new feature, i.e.

Treo 800 - EVDO Rev A
    Treo 850 EVDO Rev A + CDMA/GSM
    Treo 900 EVDO Rev A, CDMA/GSM and GPS

That seems more the Palm way to me.

Surur
    Dont forget that somewhere in there there is going to be the addition of Linux OS. Assuming we use your logic from before, that it would be suicide to all all that new hardware in a unit PLUS a new OS so somewhere in the number conventions they're using has to be the Linux.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Dont forget that somewhere in there there is going to be the addition of Linux OS. Assuming we use your logic from before, that it would be suicide to all all that new hardware in a unit PLUS a new OS so somewhere in the number conventions they're using has to be the Linux.
    Isn't the first new Treo's from 2008 supposed to be Linux-based? That would likely be the Treo 800p with Rev A, who's main feature will be the snazzy new GUI and integrated chattermail

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Isn't the first new Treo's from 2008 supposed to be Linux-based? That would likely be the Treo 800p with Rev A, who's main feature will be the snazzy new GUI and integrated chattermail

Surur

Sad but I'll bet your right. I've been sitting on this 650 for 2.5 years. The new Treo's aren't different enough to bother with if your not in an EVDO area. I'm pretty sure I'm moving to the 6800 or something running Win Mobile.
    Why would anyone trust a freaking blog that can't afford its own domain name?

And why is this thread so long?
    scsanden, I'm the the exact position you are. I'm sticking with my 650 until I see something which is enough of a change to upgrade to.

Having the 755 when you don't have ubiquitous evdo is no different from having a 650, so we might as well wait.

I'm interested to see what "the hawk" or this treo 800 has to offer. location-based services are very intriguing.
    Surur,

Something in the back of my head keeps telling me that you know a guy whos brother knows a guy whos cousin works for Palm?

Either way, Im curious if you think this 800 world phone, and what Hawkins is going to announce next week are the same device or 2 different devices?

Reason I ask is...

With all the hints Hawkins has been giving (not that many really) his new device almost HAS to have the OS on it right?
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    An interesting idea that could possibly make this beneficial for Palm is with both radios in hardware, they can use the same platform for both GSM and CDMA. This means less cost for platform development, it becomes a simple software switch to determine which is the primary radio.

The you get a CDMA world phone, and a GSM phone that could potentially roam on CDMA bands if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by sasq View Post
    An interesting idea that could possibly make this beneficial for Palm is with both radios in hardware, they can use the same platform for both GSM and CDMA. This means less cost for platform development, it becomes a simple software switch to determine which is the primary radio.
    EXACTLY!! I think (more like hope) Palm's trying to standardize the hardware. Must be pretty aggravating several times over to have separate phones for each provider, then fork each of those with the Win or Palm OS....and you get something that could have been avoided with a "world phone" with a 320x320 screen (WinMob can use extra quarter of screen for soft-buttons, DUH!). Is this what Jeff Hawkins said was "outta this world"?? I wish...and look forward to what he has to say in 2 or 3 more days (anybody know what day/time for sure?). It would be much easier for them to push a device when it can work EVERYWHERE, and the only option left for users to decide is which OS they'd like more... don't believe that most people are too hip to switching providers just for a phone (Apple will soon realize this when that 5yr Cingular contract screws 'em more than necessary).

Quote Originally Posted by sasq View Post
    The you get a CDMA world phone, and a GSM phone that could potentially roam on CDMA bands if necessary.
    Soo... there are separate CDMA bands...domestic and foreign CDMA, this doesn't mean they require separate radios, too, right?? That would totally suck, but seems like it could be worked around one way or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Why would anyone trust a freaking blog that can't afford its own domain name?

And why is this thread so long?
    Easy answer to that. Look in the TC Forum Rules. Number 62(a):

"In order to maintain your username in active status, you are periodically required to make something up about an upcoming Treo, then argue about it. It is acceptable to argue about something that someone else made up. Failure to adhere to this rule will result in banning."

We're just following the rules. We are docile, obedient, polite TC-ers all.
    I'm proud to say I've never been hit with 62(a).
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Anybody know when Hawkins is speaking at D Conference...tomorrow or Wed?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast