1.    #1  
    If you place your treo in front of the montior, in the middle, on the bottom- it will flicker the screen of the computer monitor a bit but the reception jumps 1-2 bars.

Why?
    Lance
    http://www.aslmentor.com
    (my avatar means "I love you" in sign language.
    --------------------------
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
    Why is the sky blue?

(I actually know the answer to that one) but I dont know the answer to your question.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslmentor View Post
    If you place your treo in front of the montior, in the middle, on the bottom- it will flicker the screen of the computer monitor a bit but the reception jumps 1-2 bars.

Why?
    My monitor does no such thing, and I have no increase in reception (I have full bars already). I have a 15" (I know its small) flat panel LCD.
    A monitor? How quaint.
  5.    #5  
    A flat montior doesn't have as much of an impact as a CRT montior. interesting, eh?
    Lance
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
    A flat montior doesn't have as much of an impact as a CRT montior. interesting, eh?
    Who still uses a CRT..?!
  7.    #7  
    work place, libraries, places that haven't upgraded yet. My kids still uses 15" crt monitors that has 32 bit, true color, etc-
    Lance
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    i'm still running a 19" viewsonic crt. as soon as it gives me an excuse I'm upgrading
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    Wow! I do know of some archaic places that uses them, but not libraries or any of my jobs for the past 2 years!!
    Last edited by BMIC50; 05/22/2007 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typo

Why?
    To say that all Treos exhibit such behavior based on your own Treo doing such is simply wrong and has no real basis.

Secondly, reception bars aren't the best way to measure reception. Don't know about other treos, but on Sprint Treos (all Sprint Treos) ##DEBUG# will give you more info about your reception. The RSSI value is basically the easiest way to measure your reception. The lower the number, the better.

My Sprint Treo 650's reception was not affected by holding it up to my monitor. It's a CRT btw.
    Don't know about the monitor thing, but I know in advance each time my wife is about to get an email on her BB. The stereo or radio will buzz.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    To say that all Treos exhibit such behavior based on your own Treo doing such is simply wrong and has no real basis.

Secondly, reception bars aren't the best way to measure reception. Don't know about other treos, but on Sprint Treos (all Sprint Treos) ##DEBUG# will give you more info about your reception. The RSSI value is basically the easiest way to measure your reception. The lower the number, the better.

My Sprint Treo 650's reception was not affected by holding it up to my monitor. It's a CRT btw.
    Well, since you asked or implied as such- here's some more info.

My old sidekick 3 used to perfrom the same. My friend's treo 650 will also jump 2 bars as well. My treo 750 jumps 2 bars AND CAN receive messages whereas it couldn't if placed 4 inches away from the montior.

And the lower the number, the better is not true- I get around 80-100# BUT that is because I'm on the tmobile network which measures differently.

Lance
    Well, since you asked or implied as such- here's some more info.

My old sidekick 3 used to perfrom the same. My friend's treo 650 will also jump 2 bars as well. My treo 750 jumps 2 bars AND CAN receive messages whereas it couldn't if placed 4 inches away from the montior.

And the lower the number, the better is not true- I get around 80-100# BUT that is because I'm on the tmobile network which measures differently.

GSM, lower is better. CDMA, higher is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    GSM, lower is better. CDMA, higher is better.
    ?

It's the other way around, at least for me and all the Sprint phones I've looked at. Regardless, looking at the numbers are better than looking the bars.

Secondly, if you're on T-mobile, and your friend's sidekick also does the same thing, I'll have to assume it's either your monitor specifically, it's a GSM thing, or both.
    If we're talking GSM, I wonder if the CRT is actually doing what it does best... cause interference. Why might this improve signal strength? Well, and I'm partially guessing here... could it be that the CRT causes enough interference that the phone uses the 850MHz instead of 1900? 850 will often report stronger signal over wider areas, but it will return lower bandwidth. So you're golden as long as you're doing voice, but forget getting good data bandwidth.

Just a random thought.
  16.    #16  
    Taroliw, good thought.

GSM is what SK3 and I use on treo750 (tmobile). I was able to verify this on several other montiors (old ones), and its hilarious seeing the screen flicker.
    Lance