1.    #1  
    I am into Geocaching quite a bit, and am thinking of getting the Cachemate app. for my treo 680.
    Anyone out there use this software? if so, how does it work? Is it stable? & does it produce any serious battery drain?
    I have about 800 - 900 caches I'd like to load into it.
    Any comments about it welcomed...
    What's your plan, to use CacheMate as an accessory to your existing GPS, or to use it as the GPS (with a Bluetooth GPS, of course..)?

CacheMate is an excellent cache database, however, it is not that great at cache navigation IMO. Pretty sure it has a trial, so it's worth giving it a shot. If you're still going to use a GPS unit, you most likely would just stay with CacheMate.

GeoNiche, on the other hand, is a very capable cache database and an excellent cache navigation tool, assuming the Treo will be the GPS unit itself.

I use GeoNiche and love it. Combined with TomTom (used to use EarthComber, but TomTom launches MUCH faster) I can navigate to the general location then find the cache with GeoNiche.

GeoNiche is very configurable, and works extremely well. It's almost like cheating. The only downside, and it's one I hope he'll correct sometime in the future, the cache data is dynamic if you're merging data in from the EasyNiche Java application that makes converting cache data into PDB databases very very easy. Basically boils down to you can't make "personal" notes, as they get overwritten with the cache notes and log files.

But it's a fairly minor quibble for me, especially when I might find 10-12 caches on a rare day, I don't have much time for more usually, so I can remember 'em as I go. And if I need to, I can make notes, it's just they'll be gone next time I do an update.

BTW updates are great. I have a set of scripts that get Pocket Queries from geocaching.com and creates Geoniche PDB's automatically. I sync those to my SD card, then merge them into the database in ram. Takes about 2m to update the caches, and with my scripts and config my finds show up as green, my own caches in purple, caches on my ToDo list are cyan, my DNF caches are dark cyan, regular unfound caches are orange, caches that are on "lonely" list (not found for some months) are a dark orange, etc.. And in different categories, etc.

It makes geocaching very easy. When I find a cache, I change the category and color and leave it marked to be shown. When I log the cache, I uncheck the mark so it's no longer shown on the map. That way it's not in the way on the map and I know when I've logged it. If I DNF on it, I change the color to dark cyan, change the category, then when I get home I'll place that cache in a DNF bookmark. Easy to create new caches too, I just let the GPS settle well, then Add a cache. I might re-approach the area, let it settlng, take another, etc, then average 'em together if I feel I need to. Usually it's good at this point.

Enough babbling..
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response,
    I was planning on just using it as a kind of "back up".
    I don't plan on using the Treo as the GPS, I have a Garmin 60csx that does a great job of that.
    I'm using GSAK on my lapptop for my main database, & love everything it does. & I noticed that you can export files to cachemate in the files menu. So I thought it might be nice to have.

I usually always have the GPS in the car, but not the laptop as often, I thought it would be nice to have a backup database for those "spur of the moment" searches. When I'm out and about, and have some time to kill.

Do you think it would work fine for that? Maybe for entering in some coords., and seeing if there are any caches nearby to check out?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I've used Cachemate for over 3 years and love it. I used it for 2 years on a 650p with the data on an SD card and the program on the device. I had over 2700 caches on it. I have the 700 p now and switched to just keeping my "not founds" on the device not on the card, just the nearest 500. There simply aren't any issues with it. It has no extra battery drain and I never experienced any reset while using it. By the way, Geocaching.com and Smittyware.com have forums specific to using this software.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILBandit View Post
    Thanks for the response,
    I was planning on just using it as a kind of "back up".
    I don't plan on using the Treo as the GPS, I have a Garmin 60csx that does a great job of that.
    I'm using GSAK on my lapptop for my main database, & love everything it does. & I noticed that you can export files to cachemate in the files menu. So I thought it might be nice to have.

I usually always have the GPS in the car, but not the laptop as often, I thought it would be nice to have a backup database for those "spur of the moment" searches. When I'm out and about, and have some time to kill.

Do you think it would work fine for that? Maybe for entering in some coords., and seeing if there are any caches nearby to check out?
    Yep, it'll work dandy for that. Basic paperless caching. You can enter coordinates on the fly if you want to keep track of Multi's, otherwise you can just read off into the GPS and navigate from there if you don't have it programmed in. Can go the other way too; put current coords into CacheMate and get the nearest caches so you know where to head next.

A dedicated GPS unit is more sturdy, but I'd hate to give up my GeoNiche.