Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1.    #1  
    Are you kidding me!!!! How many people are with me...The treo still haven't changed enough for me to get rid of my 650p. How much longer we got to wait until they size the damn thing down like a Moto Q or a Dash. WTF!!!!
  2. #2  
    Why do people think the Q is "smaller"? Thinner yes but its wider (which makes it UGLY and I bet fragile). I would bet the volume is identical.
  3. #3  
    Why are you waiting? You just mentioned two suitable options
  4. doc31's Avatar
    Posts
    707 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #4  
    Trust me they shouldn't make it as small as the Q or the Dash.
    Have you ever used those devices?
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  5. #5  
    This thread isn't what I thought it would be about from the thread title...
  6.    #6  
    Yes your correct, "thinner" not "smaller" that what i was refering to, my bad.

    Im waiting on an palm os version.

    Interesting no I havent tried a Q or Dash... played with a Dash for a minute though but i guess, it wasnt long enough to not to like it. It seemed fine with me)
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Why do people think the Q is "smaller"? Thinner yes but its wider (which makes it UGLY and I bet fragile). I would bet the volume is identical.
    It's "wider" by very little (0.2 in), which is negligible. The thinnesses though is pretty impressive at 1/2 inch, which slides easy into a shirt pocket. And fragile? no, not at all. Quite rugged actually.

    I switched from a 650 to a 700wx to a Moto Q. I honestly can't go back to any other device now. Not much I don't like about it.

    The Dash has some of the highest praises for any smartphone, especially with WM6 now. Great battery life even with Wifi.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It's "wider" by very little (0.2 in), which is negligible. The thinnesses though is pretty impressive at 1/2 inch, which slides easy into a shirt pocket. And fragile? no, not at all. Quite rugged actually.

    I switched from a 650 to a 700wx to a Moto Q. I honestly can't go back to any other device now. Not much I don't like about it.

    The Dash has some of the highest praises for any smartphone, especially with WM6 now. Great battery life even with Wifi.
    Why is .2 of width acceptable when the 755 is only thicker by .25 which as you mentioned is negligible.

    Sounds as though I was right the VOLUME of the device identical. With the heighth of the Q perhaps the 755 is even smaller.
  9.    #9  
    thats my point man...I wish the production team will speed up the process. I like to have the latest and sleakest products..and that freakin 755 aint "cutting it" get it, lol!

    Am I too loyal...yeah I think so, but come to think about it I think, its the programs that I have invested, and not to mention how many different application there are for palm. But best believe me my eyes are open...
  10. #10  
    *cough* touch screen *cough*
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  11. #11  
    Even if it was smaller which, thanks to info from Malatesta, we now know its not. The Q is just one ugly unit It reminds me of those old scientific calculators. Of course there were people proud to carry one of those around also
  12. #12  
    I have the Nokia E61i in front of me right now. Its a solid device. Really. All teh features are great, but the keyboard isn't and the OS isn't as flush with teh abilities of the device. Its different, and mostly uncomfy because tehre is this large and prtty screen, but its held behind glass. I am with the OP and don't like teh heft of the Treos, but to date, the sum of the device is better than most for most communicator tasks. If I wanted something that was more a phone, the E61i (and Dash) would probably work better.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Sounds as though I was right the VOLUME of the device identical. With the heighth of the Q perhaps the 755 is even smaller.
    Isn't volume H*W*D?
    Code:
    	755p	Moto Q
    W	2.3	2.5
    H	4.4	4.6
    D	0.84	0.5
    	8.5008	5.75
    A Q (which I own in soft touch black) is not only (imo I guess) much better looking than any Treo I've ever owned, it feels a heck of a lot smaller. The extra width really is negligible, and as you can see from the chart above, it's more than .2 inches thinner.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
  14. #14  
    First of all, the first poster is absolutely correct. Nothing has happened to make ANY Treo since the 650 worth upgrading FROM the 650 unless the 650 is no longer functioning. And, nothing that comes out is likely to. PDA phones are now like desktops, laptops and even regular cell or house phones. Drive them 'til they die tools.

    Second, the thinner, smaller, argument has been brought up time and again. Let me continue the Devil's advocate argument. This is a PDA phone, not a regular cell phone. It's not meant to be a Moto RAZR. It has to be small and light enough to pocket, which it certainly is, and large enough to comfortably view and use, which it is. I have even had several people argue that it is ergonomic. It fits well in the hand and I would agree. My wife has the Moto Razr V3. She loves the look and size, but hates using it. It's thin to the point of being uncomfortable to hold and awkward to talk on and I would agree with her (though, if I were not a Treo user I would suffer for fashion). She preferred her old Sanyo, 8100 flip phone from YEARS ago. Small enough to fit in a purse, smooth and round to fit in your hand, with a big enough screen for basic phone web browsing. The Q and anything like it, suffers from the same limits of the RAZR. To thin, too hard to hold and use.

    Let me suggest that the Blackberry is like the Treo. Small enough for the pocket, but big enough to be used and viewed, and solid enough to take the odd knock or two. The Treo is the same. A great design that serves it's purpose well and requires very little change. So, why do so few Blackberry users complain? Because they appreciate what it does, and aren't always looking for it to do or be something else. Most Blackberry users are either non-technical people what want to be more connected, or technical people who's offices implemented them as part of their infrastructure. Why do Treo users complain so much? Because most Treo users, despite the simplicity of Palm, are techno-heads who are always looking for the next techno-high and look at each product as a stop-gap until the next one comes out.

    They used to talk about the "Zen of Palm" (look it up). Now there is the "Zen of Blackberry". Easy to carry, simple to use, connected. What should Treo users care about? What the rest of the world cares about. Does it turn on more often then not? Does it make more calls than it drops? Can we get our e-mail? Does it maintain my PIM info? Can we get directions or restaurant reviews or movies or porn at near DSL speeds? Yup!

    It's a very powerful pocket computer the size of a deck of cards. I go away and I don't need my office. Heck, I go to the grocery store and I have my office.

    But, hey, I'm the odd techno-head. I love toys, but I don't bore that easily. Thin is nice, but sometimes, there's "thin enough".
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    Isn't volume H*W*D?
    Code:
    	755p	Moto Q
    W	2.3	2.5
    H	4.4	4.6
    D	0.84	0.5
    	8.5008	5.75
    A Q (which I own in soft touch black) is not only (imo I guess) much better looking than any Treo I've ever owned, it feels a heck of a lot smaller. The extra width really is negligible, and as you can see from the chart above, it's more than .2 inches thinner.
    Correct I had measured with a ruler and first glance was .75, the specs do show .84 Still though wouldn't a volume diff of 2.7508 is still negligable. I think the depth in the palm of my hand feels more "phone ish) as opposed to holding an oversized calculator.
  16. #16  
    lol. wow, we are talking about figures like 2.74086425 mm here?.... now it's getting intense!

    As far as upgrades, I have to agree with the poster who sees no real upgrade from palm since the 650 was released. I'm in the same camp, my friend.

    For me, I'm waiting for another year before I trade up again.

    There really isn't anything very compelling out there yet.

    Hawkins' device is on deck. We will see what it's capable of.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    First of all, the first poster is absolutely correct. Nothing has happened to make ANY Treo since the 650 worth upgrading FROM the 650
    More memory and EV-DO??? I beg to differ.

    I'm not a Palm guy anymore, but high-speed data transfer, and calls passing through even w/an active data connection would be reason enough for me to upgrade (I know Verizon does this, but last time I heard Sprint does not). And if the 755 is more stable than the crappy 700p then I would definitely upgrade. That's a big if though....
  18. #18  
    i agree the 700 series wasnt too bad an upgrade, more memory, evdo, a windows version- but the 700-755 is hardly worth it to loose the antenna. I have to agree its about time the did something "different" not keep tweaking the same design while other companies pass them in innovation.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Why is .2 of width acceptable when the 755 is only thicker by .25 which as you mentioned is negligible.

    Sounds as though I was right the VOLUME of the device identical. With the heighth of the Q perhaps the 755 is even smaller.
    Actually, no where in my argument do I lament the size of the 75x series. What I was defending was the Q and the silly argument that it is "too thin" or uncomfortable to hold, which is nonsense. Honestly, you don't see people returning the Q b/c it's too thin.

    The "ugly" argument is just as silly as that is completely subjective. I like Treo's a lot but consider the design just antiquated, but that's my opinion, not a fact that everyone needs to accept.

    Touchscreen is one of those that's also personal taste. I remember doing everything on my 650 and 700wx with one hand and purposely avoided using a stylus. I in no way miss using one. Some insist on it.

    Fact is the Q is technically an "old" device now but set the standard for thin smartphones (e.g. a black jack and dash capitalized and improved a bit upon its success). The 75x series is a nice development but too little, too late imo.

    I think Hawkin's device (Foleo) is something to look forward too, however.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    First of all, the first poster is absolutely correct. Nothing has happened to make ANY Treo since the 650 worth upgrading FROM the 650 unless the 650 is no longer functioning. And, nothing that comes out is likely to. PDA phones are now like desktops, laptops and even regular cell or house phones. Drive them 'til they die tools.

    Second, the thinner, smaller, argument has been brought up time and again. Let me continue the Devil's advocate argument. This is a PDA phone, not a regular cell phone. It's not meant to be a Moto RAZR. It has to be small and light enough to pocket, which it certainly is, and large enough to comfortably view and use, which it is. I have even had several people argue that it is ergonomic. It fits well in the hand and I would agree. My wife has the Moto Razr V3. She loves the look and size, but hates using it. It's thin to the point of being uncomfortable to hold and awkward to talk on and I would agree with her (though, if I were not a Treo user I would suffer for fashion). She preferred her old Sanyo, 8100 flip phone from YEARS ago. Small enough to fit in a purse, smooth and round to fit in your hand, with a big enough screen for basic phone web browsing. The Q and anything like it, suffers from the same limits of the RAZR. To thin, too hard to hold and use.

    Let me suggest that the Blackberry is like the Treo. Small enough for the pocket, but big enough to be used and viewed, and solid enough to take the odd knock or two. The Treo is the same. A great design that serves it's purpose well and requires very little change. So, why do so few Blackberry users complain? Because they appreciate what it does, and aren't always looking for it to do or be something else. Most Blackberry users are either non-technical people what want to be more connected, or technical people who's offices implemented them as part of their infrastructure. Why do Treo users complain so much? Because most Treo users, despite the simplicity of Palm, are techno-heads who are always looking for the next techno-high and look at each product as a stop-gap until the next one comes out.

    They used to talk about the "Zen of Palm" (look it up). Now there is the "Zen of Blackberry". Easy to carry, simple to use, connected. What should Treo users care about? What the rest of the world cares about. Does it turn on more often then not? Does it make more calls than it drops? Can we get our e-mail? Does it maintain my PIM info? Can we get directions or restaurant reviews or movies or porn at near DSL speeds? Yup!

    It's a very powerful pocket computer the size of a deck of cards. I go away and I don't need my office. Heck, I go to the grocery store and I have my office.

    But, hey, I'm the odd techno-head. I love toys, but I don't bore that easily. Thin is nice, but sometimes, there's "thin enough".
    This was an excellent post. Just excellent.
    I agree with ya; and after playing E61i guy today, sheesh I agree more.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions