Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    This thread isn't what I thought it would be about from the thread title...
    I take it you don't want a thin one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Certs View Post
    More memory and EV-DO??? I beg to differ.

I'm not a Palm guy anymore, but high-speed data transfer, and calls passing through even w/an active data connection would be reason enough for me to upgrade (I know Verizon does this, but last time I heard Sprint does not). And if the 755 is more stable than the crappy 700p then I would definitely upgrade. That's a big if though....
    The idea is that the core functionality of the PalmOS Treos has not changed since the 650.

To some people more memory and EvDO are worth the upgrade. However, to many of us, the only reason to switch to a 700p would be if it was really cheap/free, or if our 650's died. As a casual web user, and someone who installs all his apps on the SD card, I couldn't justify the cost of the upgrade to a 700p unless it was cheap/convenient to do so.

Think about it. What major features do the 700p, 755p, and 680 have that the 650 does not? Generally speaking, anything that can be done on one of the former mentioned devices can also be done on a 650. Yes there are some differences like data speed and memory configuration, but overall, the functionality is basically the same.

Personally, I'm gonna be switching to WM. At least Microsoft changes their OS every once in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    At least Microsoft changes their OS every once in a while.
    No they don't... They just say they do... ;-)
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    This was an excellent post. Just excellent.
    I agree with ya; and after playing E61i guy today, sheesh I agree more.
    I second that Antoine. So very true. Our management team all have BB's and they never gripe because it does just exactly what they need as I never gripe when it comes to my 700 with the exception of the lag and issues related to the 700 but it is more a tool for me as a robot programmer as the Blackberry is for the business man. I use my 700 for business to support my job and for fun and I am done and it sits collecting dust beyond that.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    ROFLMAO...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    This thread isn't what I thought it would be about from the thread title...
    yeah certainly I wouldnt want a woman to say what the title of this tread is.

ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Does anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    yeah certainly I wouldnt want a woman to say what the title of this tread is.

Don't worry, you're getting married. She would have said it by now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    This was an excellent post. Just excellent.
    I agree with ya; and after playing E61i guy today, sheesh I agree more.

It was an excellent post, one of the best I have seen here. However, I would argue that the jump to EVDO on a 700 or 755 is well-worth the upgrade, if you are in an evdo area (Verizon).
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    The idea is that the core functionality of the PalmOS Treos has not changed since the 650.

To some people more memory and EvDO are worth the upgrade. However, to many of us, the only reason to switch to a 700p would be if it was really cheap/free, or if our 650's died. As a casual web user, and someone who installs all his apps on the SD card, I couldn't justify the cost of the upgrade to a 700p unless it was cheap/convenient to do so.

Think about it. What major features do the 700p, 755p, and 680 have that the 650 does not? Generally speaking, anything that can be done on one of the former mentioned devices can also be done on a 650. Yes there are some differences like data speed and memory configuration, but overall, the functionality is basically the same.

Personally, I'm gonna be switching to WM. At least Microsoft changes their OS every once in a while.
    Speak for yourself, but many people who love the Palm OS love to check email, surf the web, etc. To be able to do so and not miss phone calls is a big deal to me, and now that there is a slinbox working on Palm OS I wouldn't hesitate ONE MINUTE upgrading to an EV-DO Palm if I still liked it.

I agree that to some there is hardly an upgrade, but the problem is the OS. When was the OS upgraded to multitask? Exactly. Palm couldn't do much, couldn't really do anything actually, except add EV-DO and more memory
    EV-DO on the 700p isn't much faster than Sprint's PCS Vision. on the 650. More memory is nice because Palm OS doesn't treat the SD like a seperate Hard Drive so most apps won't run off the card, but it was managable. My favorite upgrade is the camera, since I have a 16 mo old. all-in-all, not worth paying for a 650 to 7xx jump.

By the way BOTH the 650 and 700p accept calls during data useage.
    Last edited by pelikan3; 05/22/2007 at 08:05 AM.
    Another good post, pelikan, (But you deleted most of it. Don't know why) It's interesting that you compare Verizon EVDO with Sprint 3G. I live in a Verizon 1x area. When I go to an EVDO area, I find a significant increase in web browsing, but most importantly, I can easily stream video, good audio, TV (from Orb), etc. Web browsing isn't a big issue because I try to use mobile-formated pages as much as possible. However, the streaming media really works well in EVDO and is what makes the Treo more diverse than most other smartphones and blackberries.

So, I would agree that the 650 was, and is, a real good device. You are right, the memory is not really a big issue when you have a card, but it helps compensate for the delays of the 700 when you can put all your programs in ram. But, the higher speed data of EVDO really makes the 700P stand apart from the crowd.
    Last edited by gapost; 05/22/2007 at 08:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    First of all, the first poster is absolutely correct. Nothing has happened to make ANY Treo since the 650 worth upgrading FROM the 650 unless the 650 is no longer functioning...

My wife has the Moto Razr V3. She loves the look and size, but hates using it. It's thin to the point of being uncomfortable to hold and awkward to talk on and I would agree with her (though, if I were not a Treo user I would suffer for fashion). She preferred her old Sanyo, 8100 flip phone from YEARS ago. Small enough to fit in a purse, smooth and round to fit in your hand, with a big enough screen for basic phone web browsing.
    Well, I agree that essentially the Treo hasn't changed much in years -- the changes are all indistinguishable from 5 paces. I also agree with the volume argument, but I mostly agree with your wife :-).

There *is* such a thing as too thin. But that doesn't mean that the current Treo's aren't bricks. The ideal form factor in my opinion, is that of the Samsung i500 -- a PalmOS flipphone (probably similar to your wife's flipphone) -- small, smooth, round, protected from screen scratches, very pocketable, and NOT A BRICK.

I'm happy that there are so many Treo lovers. But there *are* also others that want something other than a Treo... so why can't Palm build something other than a Treo ??? Would it be too much to ask Palm to have (ohmygosh) TWO product lines ? A new, updated PDA flipphone would be my preference...
    Quote Originally Posted by KreativeArtz View Post
    Are you kidding me!!!! How many people are with me...The treo still haven't changed enough for me to get rid of my 650p. How much longer we got to wait until they size the damn thing down like a Moto Q or a Dash. WTF!!!!
    I completely agree. I bought the 650 when it first came out. It's getting old now, headset port doesn't work. And like most of you love the latest and greatest.
    I bought the Cingular 8525, and it is an ok device. I missed having a readily available keyboard, rather than slide one. I loved the WI FI part. But I eventually returned it and went back to my treo.

By now, I would have bought a new phone, but I'm waiting on treo. All the 680 did is take off the antenna as far as I'm concerned.

GPS, WI FI would do it for me. I don't want it smaller, I don't need a hard drive in there, just better features.

I'm waiting to see what the iphone has to say.
    I never considered not purchasing the treo because it was "too fat". What kind of disease would you have where you needed to upgrade from a treo to another treo, but can't because of the massive size of the device? I currently have a 700w and would like a 700wx so it wouldn't freeze as much while multi-tasking, but I will not pay $500 to do that. If the 700WX was half the thickness, it would not change a thing. I don't understand how thickness of phone has to do with anything. The phone sits on your side, in your pocket or in a purse. You hit a button and talk on your earpiece while it's still tucked away. The cry babies who feel the perfect phone is the size of a single playing card need to be banned for life from purchasing, using or talking about pocket pc phones.
    Most Blackberry users are either non-technical people what want to be more connected, or technical people who's offices implemented them as part of their infrastructure. Why do Treo users complain so much? Because most Treo users, despite the simplicity of Palm, are techno-heads who are always looking for the next techno-high and look at each product as a stop-gap until the next one comes out.
    That is VERY true for the most part. It explains why Britney, Paris, and Nicole all have Blackberries. And most Treo users are some GEEKS. I'm proud, actually

About Qs- When I worked for sprint we had more problems with Qs than Treos. The darn things would break if you looked at them the wrong way. I can't count how many times people came in with brand new Qs with corrupted OS's that wouldn't even boot after they'd been using them for only a few days. People also exchanged them b/c they were much more difficult to use & limited than Treos. I did several Q-to-Treo exchanges. The batteries were crap too. Half the people brought them back did so b/c their batteries wouldn't charge or just drained randomly. I would never pick a Q over a Treo.

I don't think Treos are ugly at all. I think the charcoal & chrome is quite classy. It makes it look like a professional, sleek, powerful device for mature adults. You want style? Get a pink razr. Get a sidekick. Get an iphone. get some teenybopper phone that swivels this way & flips that way & has flashy lights. You want function & power? Get a Treo.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    And remember, in most situations, smaller means smaller battery which means a lower battery life between charges. Nope. I keep the Treo until something comes up with a decent battery life with the same capabilities.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    EV-DO on the 700p isn't much faster than Sprint's PCS Vision. on the 650. More memory is nice because Palm OS doesn't treat the SD like a seperate Hard Drive so most apps won't run off the card, but it was managable. My favorite upgrade is the camera, since I have a 16 mo old. all-in-all, not worth paying for a 650 to 7xx jump.

By the way BOTH the 650 and 700p accept calls during data useage.
    Wrong on pretty much all counts, if you're talking CDMA.

EvDO on the 700 is WAY faster than the 650. I've owned both, and there's no comparison.

A CDMA 650 routes calls directly to voice mail if you're actively transferring data when a call comes in. The 700P interupts the data transfer and routes the call through. Much better.

And while it's true that apps won't, technically, run off the card, programs like ZLauncher and PowerRun let you store apps on the card and run them from there--close enough for most purposes.

Whether the upgrade cost is worth it is for each person to decide on their own, but if you make much use of data, I think it's a major upgrade. Downloading a web page full of images is as fast on the 700 as the 650 with images turned off, and e-mail downloads are dramatically faster. Using the 700p for data is eminently practical. The 650 always felt like it was struggling.

As for the original post: I'll take the functionality and battery life of the Treo over the smaller form factor of the phones you mention any day of the week.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by KreativeArtz View Post
    Are you kidding me!!!! How many people are with me...The treo still haven't changed enough for me to get rid of my 650p. How much longer we got to wait until they size the damn thing down like a Moto Q or a Dash. WTF!!!!

Hmmm...seems like about a 50/50 split. Personally, I've played with the Q and the Dash and they feel like toys in my hand, too light. I prefer something that feels more substantial...like a piece of machinery....

Lorraine

ps..how do I change my username so my email addy isn't in it? I get enough spam as it is...
    Last edited by lorraineg57; 07/02/2007 at 08:35 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12