Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. eiresurg's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
       #1  
    having had ample problems with viruses and malware with my PC, just wondering if there are similar problems with a treo? if so, do we need to protect our treos with antivirus software?
  2. #2  
    Not really. Mostly because nobody bother to write them. Plus Palm's bluetooth stack implimentation is too lousy.
  3. #3  
    This whole virus/cell-phone thing is interesting. Here in the US, there doesn't seem to be much interest is writing viruses for cell-phones. I think it's because there are so many technologies, and different carriers implement them differently. That makes it very difficult for viruses to spread. There is GSM/CDMA/IDEN, etc. Funny though, in Japan, I hear, where the whole damned country is standardized on one cell-phone technology, there are viruses to be wary of. And they spread fast, making it worthwhile for the virus writers to write. Not so (yet) in the US.

    -Frank
  4. #4  
    I don't think palm os is susceptible at all. I would think if anything, windows mobile would be the one most vulnerable, but iv never seen reports of viruses here at TC.
  5. eiresurg's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
       #5  
    thanks for the replies.

    what about the need for a firewall? could someone feasibly hack into my smartphone and obtain personal data stored on it?
  6. #6  
    you definitely want to turn your bluetooth off whenever you're in a situation where you suspect you could be vulnerable - switch to undiscoverable, otherwise it is possible for "bluejacking" to take place.
  7. eiresurg's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
       #7  
    thanks. yeah, i never use bluetooth.

    but, what about having chatter on or blazer? when those are running, do you all think there is an opportunity to hack?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    you definitely want to turn your bluetooth off whenever you're in a situation where you suspect you could be vulnerable - switch to undiscoverable, otherwise it is possible for "bluejacking" to take place.
    Bluejacking is relatively harmless. Bluesnarfing is more a problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by eiresurg View Post
    thanks. yeah, i never use bluetooth.

    but, what about having chatter on or blazer? when those are running, do you all think there is an opportunity to hack?
    If you're that worried about a virus, get rid of your Treo. You want to know the most likely scenario you'll get a virus? Someone with the flu walks up, coughs and spits all over your Treo, in which case you lick said Treo. Now you've probably contracted the influenza virus.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  9. #9  
    I wouldnt count it out! With the ever-growing smartphone community, I am sure there are some who find it advantageous to produce a virus. Just think how large the Treo, WinMo, and BlackBerry communities are!
  10. #10  
    Look how large Apple is, yet not many have written viruses for their machines. The mobile user base is smaller than that, and each OS uses different application types with different call functions. A person would have to write a virus for each OS for it to effectively reach Palm, WM and BB. I can see it happenning in the future, but not anytime soon.

    You have to remember, most of these guys that write viruses are only doing it for the 'fame' and anarchy. They want to be able to turn on their TVs and see that their virus made the headlines and crippled some huge corporation. There would be no great benefit to attacking mobiles for them.
  11. #11  
    I definitely see your point. But Palm has been around for some time now, and has established a rather large base. With RIM and Palm at the top of the Smartphone world, I am sure one could find reason to write virii (sp?) to gather info from these devices. I dont understand much, but do you have to write different virus for each version of a platform? i.e. Windows XP virus wont affect a Windows Vista machine. If you dont, then as old as Palm and WinMo and BB are, Im sure there are small virii out there. But I have nothing to substantiate all of this...just my thoughts.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I definitely see your point. But Palm has been around for some time now, and has established a rather large base. With RIM and Palm at the top of the Smartphone world, I am sure one could find reason to write virii (sp?) to gather info from these devices. I dont understand much, but do you have to write different virus for each version of a platform? i.e. Windows XP virus wont affect a Windows Vista machine. If you dont, then as old as Palm and WinMo and BB are, Im sure there are small virii out there. But I have nothing to substantiate all of this...just my thoughts.
    Jesus! PalmOS is so popular some major 3rd parties don't even want to write app for it. Maybe you want to worry about getting client for Skype, flash and PDF before the virus hackers remotely interesting in writing virus for POS.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Jesus! PalmOS is so popular some major 3rd parties don't even want to write app for it. Maybe you want to worry about getting client for Skype, flash and PDF before the virus hackers remotely interesting in writing virus for POS.
    Great point!
  14. eiresurg's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
       #14  
    If you're that worried about a virus, get rid of your Treo.
    I'm not "worried". Just curious.

    No need to . . .

    You want to know the most likely scenario you'll get a virus? Someone with the flu walks up, coughs and spits all over your Treo, in which case you lick said Treo. Now you've probably contracted the influenza virus.
    Thanks for the tip.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by eiresurg View Post
    I'm not "worried". Just curious.

    No need to . . .



    Thanks for the tip.

    Just trying to drive the point across. A Mobile virus is extremely rare. That's not to say that at some point they won't become more prolific. However, as for a target, why bother with a Palm OS device?

    If you want to do most real damage, you would probably attack RIM. (Because of the Corporate and Government users, and for this reason a WM Treo would also stand a better chance of attack than a Palm OS device.)

    If you wanted to inflict the most widespread damage, you'd go after Symbian S60 based phones. In fact, the only real mobile virus I know of is Cabir, which is targeted at S60 devices. But this is not in the wild. More of a "proof of concept," and somewhat harmless as it's non destructive.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  16. #16  
    I think there was also a virus for palm about 5 or so yrs ago (forgot the name). Same thing tho (proof of concept).

Posting Permissions