Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    i have epocrates (software that requires frequent updating) on my 700p for work. however, i use my 700p tethered to access the internet. because of this, it won't download the epocrates updates while tethering. is there a solution to this other than using an alternative access to the internet?
    Use bluetooth DUN for you tethered connection and hotsync with usb. Just FYI here but epocrates is a kind a lame, you should try pepid if your in to that whole keep paying the subcription type software. You could also just ditch the subcription and just go with skyscape but stay away from unbound medicine because they abridge their titles. Skyscape also is the only provider of medical software that allows for updates directly to the device per cellular without needing to go throgh hotsync.
    For me, neither the skyscape nor tarascon software (which you need to buy) are as fast or easy to use in clinic as the free version of epocrates on my treo 680. Also what blaylock said is totally wrong: skyscape is not the only software that does wireless updates. Epocrates does this too and you can set the automatic wireless update on epocrates to go during the middle of the night at a time you are not tethering.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 05/15/2007 at 09:31 AM.
    As for as epocrates updating per over the air you may be right. The program is older than dirt and I have not used it in a while. However, you need to get a life. Nobody wanted to respond to his question but when someone does there is always some people who just can't wait to contradict. I have never seen any medical database that is slow. They all load in a matter of seconds and yes you will need to pay for them. High quality professional software cost money. I can't imagine any MD or healthcare profesional who just wants stick with the free stuff.
    Last edited by blaylock1226; 05/15/2007 at 12:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaylock1226 View Post
    As for as epocrates updating per over the air you may be right. The program is older than dirt and I have not used it in a while. However, you need to get a life. Nobody wanted to respond to his question but when someone does there is always some people who just can't wait to contradict. I have never seen any medical database that is slow. They all load in a matter of seconds and yes you will need to pay for them. High quality professional software cost money. I can't imagine any MD or healthcare profesional who just wants stick with the free stuff.
    I do have a life and it does not revolve around finding you wrong, my friend. No offense was intended, but I must say you really seem to have a chip on your shoulder about epocrates. At any rate, we all have our personal preferences and I do respect yours.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    cellmatrix,

thanks. didn't realize epocrates had the option to do wireless update. running it now.

I can't imagine any MD or healthcare profesional who just wants stick with the free stuff.
    there's alot of great freeware for the Palm OS platform and epocrates happens to be one of them. most of the people i work with use epocrates and miraculously we haven't killed anyone with it yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by eiresurg View Post
    cellmatrix,

thanks. didn't realize epocrates had the option to do wireless update. running it now.

there's alot of great freeware for the Palm OS platform and epocrates happens to be one of them. most of the people i work with use epocrates and miraculously we haven't killed anyone with it yet!
    great, I am glad you found it useful. Even though I do not do much tethering, I find the wireless update more convenient than hotsync.