Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I'm writing an article about email overload and I thought I would post my query on TreoCentral:

How do you deal with email while you're on vacation?

And some follow-up questions: Do you use an away-message? Or do you just hope that people who email you will actually go away? Do you worry about email while you're relaxing? Or do you sneak away from your family to fire up your Treo? How many emails do you have waiting for you when you return? Can you remember a time when you could travel without having to deal with or worry about megabytes of email?

Of course, since we all have Treos, the answer to these questions may be self-evident, but then again, perhaps some of us don't check email while on vacation.

--Bill Adler
    Currently using a Treo 680
    Last edited by badler; 05/06/2007 at 11:25 AM.
    I check my personal email if I am relaxing. Not my work email. I delete my work account when on vacation. I have returned to work after one week to find around 300 emails.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    All of my emails are forwarded to my ChatterEmail account, no loss of time.

Ben
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I have a follow-up question, which was prompted by some replies I received: Even when you're traveling with your Treo, do you check your email on a "real" computer?

--Bill
    I stay away from computers when on vacation. If I do anything online is strickly on the Treo.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I check my personal e-mail on my Treo at will. Since it's not work, it's no big deal. My work device is a Blackberry (yuck) and I will check that at night every other day (on a week-long vacation). I get about 200 messages a day but if I check them at night, I can't get into phone calls with the office and such. It really helps save time when I do get back to the office.
    I sometimes get as many as 300 mails a day, so yes, I check my E-mails on my Treo when I'm on holiday. I always use an out of the office auto reply.
    I check both work and personal email while on vacation... hmm... not all time on vacation is spent running around having fun and doing stuff... there are "down times" when you have to recharge the old batteries. During those times, I'll take no more than 30 minutes to check email and send replies. Most of the time I'll do it with the treo, but sometimes I'll break out the laptop, if a longer reply is needed.

The basic thing is to not be checking email or looking at the treo while spending time with others... I find no one says anything if I check for 30 minutes late at night or early in the morning, after others go to bed or before everyone else wakes. Easier then, because I'm reading the news then, cheacking the weather, printing off maps for the next venture or something... so it is not just work... a little mix of work and play.

You have to be smart about it. Also, once you email someone, don't mention work while on vacation unless someone else brings it up, then quickly change the subject... pretent like it does not matter... even if it does.

But yea, I'll check mine just to keep up with things and to keep from having many important emails sitting that I have to reply when I get back.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    When on vacation, work email gets read but rarely replied to. Personal email follow the same case as normal as I will take a bit of the day to do so, but only if it is necessary. I don't use away messages unless its contract work (keeps the baddies away).

I don't check my email on a "real" computer anyways, and so to do so on vacation would be a divergant action on my part.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I keep up on personal e-mail on vacation. I also try to get to work e-mail when I can, but I don't make a priority out of it.
    I check both my personal and business email accounts, one or two times per day while on vacation. Ditto with voicemails. Owning my own business, the more I can do to lessen the workload upon my return, the better. Otherwise, from a mental standpoint, coming back to an overwhelming amount of work effectively cancels out the positive mental effects of the vacation.
    i just took 3 weeks off.

didnt check business email once during that time.

i did use an away message.

previous vacation i would check work emails all the time even going as far as paying to get internet to check email.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by badler View Post
    I'm writing an article about email overload and I thought I would post my query on TreoCentral:

<snip>

--Bill Adler
    Currently using a Treo 680
    <edited>munge munge munge @ munge DOT com</edited>
    Not to put too fine a point on it, Bill, but I would go back and edit that post of yours to disguise the email address you've posted. Unless you want MORE email about male enhancement pills and penny stocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Unless you want MORE email about male enhancement pills...
    What bothers me most about this crap is... How do they know! LOL

-Frank
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it, Bill, but I would go back and edit that post of yours to disguise the email address you've posted. Unless you want MORE email about male enhancement pills and penny stocks.
    While this is my "public" email address (meaning it's been in circulation for eons), you're right that there's no need to make it even more of a spam-magnet. Besides, the replies come in via this thread.

And while I'm here I have another question for people who do check their email while in vacation (which is most of us): Are you mostly a secret email checker -- that is, do you announce to your family and friends that you're going to check your email, or do you tend to do it quietly?

--Bill
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Thanks to everyone who contributed and helped with my article. The article, "Check Your Email While on Vacation: It's Okay, Almost Everyone Does It" is now online at http://tinyurl.com/35tdsx.

--Bill
    Last edited by badler; 08/31/2007 at 01:49 PM.