Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

    I'm looking for a good smartphone for work. The Treos handle the PIM functionality very well, so I won't discuss them here. I need the following two functionalities:

    1. I listen to a lot of podcasts while commuting mostly from Businessweek and other magazines. Can any treo automatically download updated podcasts or do i need to sync it with my PC?
    2. I read a lot of websites. I usually save webpages on my laptop and read them (wireless internet is still very expensive in India). Is it possible to save webpages and view them on a treo?

    Now, only the Treo 650 and 680 are officially available in India. I can get the 700 and 750 off the grey markets. Which model should I look out for? Of course, the lesser the prices the better

    ~Chandan
  2. #2  
    1. What format are the podcasts in? If they're in MP3 format, you can simply sync them onto your Treo's storage card. I don't know about automatically syncing them, but I do know that you should be able to play them back on a Treo, assuming they're in a playable format.

    2. Yes, you can save websites and browse them on your Treo. Simply sync them to your Treo's storage card and you should be able to view them.

    I think for your main functionality, a Treo 650 would suit you best. It's going to be the best value. Not only is it less expensive, but it has most of the functionality of the other Treos you listed. The main features of the 700 series are 3G data, 1.3 mp camera, and more memory. Unless you need those features, I'd go for a 650. It's going to be more stable, and less expensive.
  3. ion++'s Avatar
    Posts
    299 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    #3  
    to my memory the 700 is a CDMA only model, is there a CDMA carrier in India? or is it GSM only?

    You should either get a 680 or a 750.
  4. #4  
    if you ask me, I would go for the Treo 750. That is what I'm using right now and i love it!

    With regards to the podcast, it would depend on the file format. You better check out also the compatibility of the podcast with the device you are planning to purchase.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    1. What format are the podcasts in? If they're in MP3 format, you can simply sync them onto your Treo's storage card. I don't know about automatically syncing them, but I do know that you should be able to play them back on a Treo, assuming they're in a playable format.
    The podcasts are in mp3 format and I use iTunes to manage them. What is the maximum capacity of the memory cards that retail for Treos?

    2. Yes, you can save websites and browse them on your Treo. Simply sync them to your Treo's storage card and you should be able to view them.
    Thanks thats great! just one more query - do the html files look exactly like they were meant to be seen? i mean does the phone's browser reformat the pages to fit in the screen?

    I think for your main functionality, a Treo 650 would suit you best. It's going to be the best value. Not only is it less expensive, but it has most of the functionality of the other Treos you listed. The main features of the 700 series are 3G data, 1.3 mp camera, and more memory. Unless you need those features, I'd go for a 650. It's going to be more stable, and less expensive.
    The 650s are retailing for INR 20,000 ($480) while the 680 is a bit more expensive at $600. The models are unlocked. So, I guess the 650 will be of more value - I also kind of like the stubby antenna on top. Reminds me of the older generation on mobile phones Plus there so 3g coverage in India yet - the mobile cos are fighting over spectrum allocation
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    to my memory the 700 is a CDMA only model, is there a CDMA carrier in India? or is it GSM only?

    You should either get a 680 or a 750.
    The 700 and 750 are only available in the grey markets and don't come with official warranty. Plus they are prohibitively expensive here.

    Yes there are CDMA carriers in India but they have a strict control on the type of handsets. No one carries Palm
  7. ion++'s Avatar
    Posts
    299 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cnayak View Post
    The 700 and 750 are only available in the grey markets and don't come with official warranty. Plus they are prohibitively expensive here.

    Yes there are CDMA carriers in India but they have a strict control on the type of handsets. No one carries Palm
    okay, that leaves 680 (or possibly a 650). I think that someone used a 8GB SD card on a 680, but a 650 can only do 2GB, maybe 4GB.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    okay, that leaves 680 (or possibly a 650). I think that someone used a 8GB SD card on a 680, but a 650 can only do 2GB, maybe 4GB.
    My friend suggested the Nokia n80. Apart from the features in the Treo 650, it has wi-fi and a better camera. He also said that being a symbios phone, it would support a lot of applications too. Both phones are similarly priced here. Which will be a better phone according to you guys?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    okay, that leaves 680 (or possibly a 650). I think that someone used a 8GB SD card on a 680, but a 650 can only do 2GB, maybe 4GB.
    You can use an 8gb on the 650 if you do the SD mod.
  10. #10  
    For off-line viewing you might try AvantGo you can synch wired or wireless. You have to fiddle with the settings somewhat to get pages (page depth and size). .
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
  11. ion++'s Avatar
    Posts
    299 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cnayak View Post
    My friend suggested the Nokia n80. Apart from the features in the Treo 650, it has wi-fi and a better camera. He also said that being a symbios phone, it would support a lot of applications too. Both phones are similarly priced here. Which will be a better phone according to you guys?
    N80 has no qwerty keyboard does it? I love that function. I think Symbian might have as many Applications as Palm PS, but i am not sure. But what matters is not the number of Applications, but the right applications. And esy nagivation. I do not believe that n80 has a touch screen.

    But... try the phones in your hand, and then make your decision.
  12. #12  
    cnayak, just go for the 650. The 750 won't be as useful since there's no 3G, the CDMA carriers won't activate a 700 series Treo, and the 680 doesn't offer any more core functionality than the 650 (at least not any that I could think you might need).
  13. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #13  
    Trevante's got the right idea.
    I gotta have more cowbell
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    cnayak, just go for the 650. The 750 won't be as useful since there's no 3G, the CDMA carriers won't activate a 700 series Treo, and the 680 doesn't offer any more core functionality than the 650 (at least not any that I could think you might need).
    Thanks a ton guys. I'll be getting the 650 soon. Wow, I've always read about the Palm PDAs and the Palm OS. This will be my first Palm device

Posting Permissions