View Poll Results: Is this rude or am I a prude?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Watching TV on your Treo at a wedding is definitely rude

66 70.97%
  • Maninrochester you are a prude, get with the times!

27 29.03%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Thats a simplistic answer. Many times people have social obligations which force them to do things they don't really want to do. Things like attending their wife's best friend's wedding. Do you really think you could tell your wife to go alone? Lets be a little pragmatic here.

Or a school play. Just because you are not interested in the performance of 90% of the children there you are suddenly obligated to miss your little jewel's masterpiece?

Like I said, a bit of pragmatism in in order. You are being even more inconsiderate of the feelings of others are you feel they are to the bride.

Surur
    Yes, I do think you can tell your wife to go alone! Do you think the bride wants people there who don't want to be there?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Thats not very pragmatic. If a man refuses to go the wife may very well also not go, and then the man will be in the dog house for a week. No one wins in that scenario.

Surur
    Thats not very pragmatic. If a man refuses to go the wife may very well also not go, and then the man will be in the dog house for a week. No one wins in that scenario.

Surur
    Or the wife will go and have a VERY GOOD time without you. :-)

What? You never saw 'The Wedding Crashers'????
    It is possible (most of the time, probable) for a wife to have a good time without her husband around...
    Not to throw a fox amongst the hens, but in my experience a married woman showing up alone at a social function says something very bad about the marriage, irrespective of that particular person having a good time or not. I'm not saying the wife cant go partying with her friends, or the husband cant go out with his drinking buddies, but showing up at a wedding alone when both were invited (and most people come in couples) tells me that marriage is doomed, and the husband cant be bothered enough to make an effort showing up.

But maybe thats just me...

Surur
    If only one spouse showed up at my function(not that I ever hold any, LOL!) and said "my SO just didn't want to be here", so be it. I'm not forcing anyone to RSVP if they don't want to. I'd rather have guests that actually enjoy being there. However I would agree that the host/hostess have a duty NOT to bore the guests! Super-long weddings will tire everyone out!

At a family function if only one spouse shows shows up, THAT may signify a problem with the marriage! Or maybe just the in-laws.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I don't think it signifies a problem in the marriage at all. I think it signifies a very tolerant and understanding wife with an immature husband (with the attention span of a gnat) that cannot follow grown up etiquette...
    Last edited by Christinac130; 05/16/2007 at 06:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I don't think it signifies a problem in the marriage at all. I think it signifies a very tolerant and understanding wife with an immature husband (with the attention span of a gnat) that cannot follow grown up etiquette...
    And this isn't a problem for the marriage? Thats a bad combination and doesn't sound healthy at all.

Surur
    Actually- if the husband is going to have the attention span of a gnat, it's a better combination then having a wife who is Not understanding and tolerant... those 2 would fight, where in this scenario at least the wife would roll her eyes and life would go on.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Exactly! Certain personalities just fit, sometimes even compliment eachother. When one spouse has a negative aspect in their personality, sometimes the other's positive aspects help the couple to live in harmony...

My ex-husband is a pilot and was never around for family gatherings or social events. No one thought we had a problem marriage when I showed up to events by myself. You can provide polite excuses as to why your spouse is not available to avoid alerting the gossips...
    Quote Originally Posted by maninrochester View Post
    Speaking of rude my ex-wife (that's not the rude part) and I went to a football game, a playoff game actually. In fact is was the Buffalo Bills/Houston Oilers game, the one where the Bills came back from 33 points down in the second half to win in overtime. She read a book the whole time. Talk about rude! Those darned fanatics, I think you call them fans, wouldn't keep quiet and let her read. The whole time they kept screaming and yelling; what's the big deal, it's just a game?

True story.
    I was in the Miami University Marching Band that did the halftime show for that game. We always gave ourselves credit for the comeback

P.S. I did not have a Treo at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post

LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    My ex-husband is a pilot and was never around for family gatherings or social events. No one thought we had a problem marriage when I showed up to events by myself. You can provide polite excuses as to why your spouse is not available to avoid alerting the gossips...
    Some professions just lend themselves to those situations. I'm a retired LEO. Working nights and weekends was normal in the early years. I don't have that excuse any longer.

As long as I check the weather on the Treo regularly for her, I can bring it along no matter where we go. What is it with women and the weather forecast anyhow? I can tell if my wife or daughter were the last to watch one of the TV's. I'll find it left on the Weather Channel.
    [QUOTE=shopharim;1258509]I was in the Miami University Marching Band that did the halftime show for that game. We always gave ourselves credit for the comeback [QUOTE]

I heard one of the classic sports channels is showing the game towards the end of this month.
  15.    #115  
    Not to throw a fox amongst the hens, but in my experience a married woman showing up alone at a social function says something very bad about the marriage, irrespective of that particular person having a good time or not. I'm not saying the wife cant go partying with her friends, or the husband cant go out with his drinking buddies, but showing up at a wedding alone when both were invited (and most people come in couples) tells me that marriage is doomed, and the husband cant be bothered enough to make an effort showing up.

But maybe thats just me...

Surur
    So it would be bad for for the wife to show up with out the hubby but not bad form for him to attend and make it obvious he's only obliging his wife by watching a ball game during the ceremony? Me thinks you speak with forked tongue kimosabee.
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    I was in the Miami University Marching Band that did the halftime show for that game. We always gave ourselves credit for the comeback

I don't remember the band at the game I think I was watching Love Boat on the Jumbotron, was that rude of me to watch or rude of the Bills to show it?
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
    Quote Originally Posted by maninrochester View Post
    So it would be bad for for the wife to show up with out the hubby but not bad form for him to attend and make it obvious he's only obliging his wife by watching a ball game during the ceremony? Me thinks you speak with forked tongue kimosabee.
    I think making it obvious he is obliging his wife, even though he would rather be somewhere else, is rather nice of him.

Somehow I think "He only came for her..." is better than "He did not come, even for her..."

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 05/17/2007 at 02:46 AM.
  18.    #118  
    My point is that by watching the Treo during the ceremony he is making it obvious that his attendance is merely obliging someone, whether its his significant other or the wedding party and THAT is impolite at best. The bottom line IMHO is that if you lack the maturity or stamina or attention span to sit through 45 minutes of boredom to at least feign respect for the people who invited you to share their moment then the wedding party is probably to blame. Why would they invite 10 year olds to their wedding?
    Evidently ESPN is siding with us guys who'd rather have a root canal than have to suffer thru a wedding; their latest series of commercials for "ESPN Mobile" show a bunch of guys watching a game on their phones (at a wedding, no less!)

Oh, and I did get that SlingBox, too- so now, I'm prepared!
    Palm Pre
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456