View Poll Results: Is this rude or am I a prude?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Watching TV on your Treo at a wedding is definitely rude

66 70.97%
  • Maninrochester you are a prude, get with the times!

27 29.03%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    LOL...okay, okay

Who would schedule their wedding on Super Bowl Sunday??? That's just insane!

I have no problem with anyone doing whatever they want before and after the ceremony. But, I still find it hard to believe you guys can't give...what? At the most, an hour of your time to show respect for the happy couple? C'mon...

First, to many men AND women, the Final Four ranks right up there with the Super Bowl. I am not a big basketball fan. I never watch pro or college games during the season. I don't pay much attention to the NBA finals. Even so, I start paying attention once college ball it gets down to the Sweet 16.

Second, Palm is located where? California maybe? The game he's talking about involves UCLA. I'd suspect there might be a FEW UCLA grads working in that building? Do you have a general idea of the fanaticism involved?

Someone else asked if we'd do this to our boss. What if HIS boss went to UCLA or is a fanatical college B'ball fan? Would you expect him to walk into work and tell his boss that he was at a wedding and didn't see the game live when he had his company product, a Treo, available? I'd like to be in that meeting. LOL

I was at a wedding once, during the Masters. I went into the bar downstairs from the reception and found the father of the bride and father of the groom sitting there watching the game. And yes, even the bride laughed at her poor planning. :-)
  2.    #42  
    Let me start off by saying I am a BIG sports fan. I watch the Super Bowl, Final Four, World Series, Hockey (Go Sabres), sometimes even golf and tennis (is tennis still played in this country?). I draw the line at NASCAR, it's not a sport. Despite all of that you cannot be serious when you equate someones wedding with a sporting event. IT'S JUST A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you're actually participating in it, the outcome is completely meaningless. I know what someone is going to say, so let me beat you to it, "so is the outcome of any wedding other than your own!" I suppose that's true but if you're invited AND you CHOSE to come then the least you can do is to show some respect to the people who invited you by at least feigning interest. Their families probably shelled out thousands of dollars for you to attend. These same people chose to share the most meaningful event in their lives with you despite your immaturity, couthlessness and total lack of class!!

If you can watch all the mind numbing analysis before the Super Bowl you can surely sit through a wedding. If not then you're going to have to go to bed without your supper!!!

Now back to my original point, it's a shame that Palm made up such a tacky story to demonstrate the capabilities of the Treo and Slingbox.
    Last edited by maninrochester; 04/25/2007 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinTek View Post
    I was at a wedding once, during the Masters. I went into the bar downstairs from the reception and found the father of the bride and father of the groom sitting there watching the game. And yes, even the bride laughed at her poor planning. :-)
    That was during the reception, not the ceremony...perfectly acceptable

The only thing that matters is the last quarter anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by maninrochester View Post
    if you're invited AND you CHOSE to come then the least you can do is to show some respect to the people who invited you by at least feigning interest.
    What do you think watching TV discreetly on your 2.5 inch Treo screen with a headset is? Of course one should feign interest, but there is no need to deprive oneself either if you make sure no one will notice.

Surur
    Sorry, but there's no way to simply say "Oh, you're at a wedding, you MUST pay attention, and you MUST be respectful to the bride and groom". People's situations vary and people are able to do what they want, regardless of what you might think. Just because you have higher standards for behavior at a wedding, it doesn't mean that everyone else who doesn't meet your standards is disrespectful or rude, unless maybe it was your wedding.

We don't know that the story was made up or not, but regardless of that, it gets the point across. Unlike you, the majority of us realized the focus was on the Treo and the slingbox, not on the wedding or the situation that the slingboxing occured. Basically, you're not supposed to care too much about where the slingboxing occured. The point of the post is to show that you CAN slingbox, not where you should or shouldn't slingbox.

And if it was made up, I think it's a shame you got so worked up over something that didn't even happen :-\
  6.    #46  
    To me this story is a sad commentary on the state of our society. We hold out rudeness as something to be admired. I think that as long as we continue to take the attitude that anyone can do whatever makes them feel good regardless of how it impacts others then we only have ourselves to blame when our children can't function in public. Don't get me wrong I'm not connecting the slingbox/treo thing to bad kids what I'm saying is that as long as society glorifies rudeness then that's all we can expect. So it really doesn't matter if it happened, what matters is that this selfish act was held out as something to be admired.

That being said I'm off to Jamaica. I'm turning off my Treo to bake in the sun, eat and drink too much and try not to change anything for a few days!!
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
    I once went to a wedding where the reception went on and on endlessly, when everyone finally sobered up 15 years later the "happy couple" was divorced!! Hey wait a minute that was MY wedding!!

OK. IMHO the slingplayer at the wedding is ok during the reception but not during the ceremony.
    I think watching TV on your Treo during someone else's wedding is nothing compared to actually getting divorced after all those people took the trouble to feign interest at your wedding and give you gifts.
    ... eeewwwe! Not even your underwear?

Maybe you won't be wearing either outer or underwear.

Speaking of wedding rudeness, one time I was at a wedding where the reception was some miles away from the ceremony, and the couple decided to stop off at a pretty place somewhere between the two locations, to take pictures. They were HOURs late to their own reception for some stupid pictures. Of course, the meal isn't served until they arrive, so their guests were starving and ticked off. They were made to pay for it in two embarrassing ways.

First, someone ordered pizza and had it delivered, leaving the empty box on their seats (subtle hint).

Next, when they finally arrived, the pastor announced them as having been married a short time ago. Someone yelled from the back "A LONG Time Ago!!" (not subtle at all).

Who was rude... the couple, or the one who ordered the pizza, or the one who added their comment to the introduction??

I would have loved to have a treo and slingplayer at the time. It seems like it took long enough that Palm could have come out with 3 new treos in the time it took them to get their butts to their guests.

No,it wasn't me that ordered the pizza or called out the comment, but I wish I had thought of it.
    From the crowd reaction, most agreed with the sentiment.
    Last edited by duanedude1; 04/25/2007 at 08:37 PM.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  9.    #49  
    OK. I'll change my underwear. That's a pretty funny story. Rudeness isn't limited to the audience eh?
    If you can watch all the mind numbing analysis before the Super Bowl you can surely sit through a wedding.
    But while sitting through the mind numbing pre-game shows, you get to have beer and food to distract you. I've never been to a wedding (except my own) where they serve beer and food before the ceremony.

Oh, for clarification purposes, close to (and getting closer to the anniversary) 30 years ago we sort of, kind of, eloped, in a fashion. We got married in our very first (and only) apartment, by the mayor, surrounded by our closest friends. The mayor was 2 1/2 hours late so the beer, wine and food were already well circulated. To this day, our friends say it was the best wedding they ever attended.
    To me this story is a sad commentary on the state of our society. We hold out rudeness as something to be admired. I think that as long as we continue to take the attitude that anyone can do whatever makes them feel good regardless of how it impacts others then we only have ourselves to blame when our children can't function in public. Don't get me wrong I'm not connecting the slingbox/treo thing to bad kids what I'm saying is that as long as society glorifies rudeness then that's all we can expect. So it really doesn't matter if it happened, what matters is that this selfish act was held out as something to be admired.
    I think the clear fallacy in your example is that no one at the wedding was disturbed by the slingboxing and it didn't really have an impact on anyone. Now if he had disturbed the procession of the wedding in some manner, then I'd agree that he was at fault and behaving inappropriately. But when someone does something and it doesn't actually anyone, do people make a big deal about it? Usually not, at least I can't think of any examples. All the stories I see on the news about people doing rude things usually are things that actually affect other people in some manner.

And more importantly, this situation is not representative of society at all. You can't say that society is messed up because a few people online don't think it's rude to discreetly entertain yourself in certain situations. And no one is admiring or glorifying it. Some do accept it, but it's not glorified.
    Ok so I am the best man at my brother's wedding on sat. Is it rude to get the scores every now and then sent to me of the NJ Devils game? LOL.
    I'd trade that for drunk groomsmen and/or best men. I'm a wedding photographer and I see that fairly often, and it's rarely pretty.
    Put me down for a "rude" vote. And cadman, I say that's fine, just not during the ceremony. One more thing. Go Sabres.
    Why is "It's rude" winning in the poll, but only the people that think it's okay are posting? Chickens***s...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Why is "It's rude" winning in the poll, but only the people that think it's okay are posting? Chickens***s...
    Obviously they are too polite to argue.

Surur
    This thread is too funny. I voted, 'no'...who cares? Honestly. AFAIC, just another example of the multifunctional capabilities of a Treo. Now, if he had instigated a fight at the wedding and used his Treo to record it to demonstrate its video capabilities, OK, I could see that going overboard. But geesh...what's that about casting stones...
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Obviously they are too polite to argue.

Surur
    I don't seem to have that problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    Put me down for a "rude" vote. And cadman, I say that's fine, just not during the ceremony. One more thing. Go Sabres.
    Hey I think its rude....but I agree not at the ceremony.....
    can't turn the phone off because wife is el prego and due soon.
    What bugs me more is people who always forget to put the phone on vibrate....and they are the ones telling everyone else to mute their phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Hey I think its rude....but I agree not at the ceremony.....
    can't turn the phone off because wife is el prego and due soon.
    What bugs me more is people who always forget to put the phone on vibrate....and they are the ones telling everyone else to mute their phones.
    Or people who work in a quiet computer lab environment where it's quiet enough to hear people clicking their mice, yet some of them have their phones set to WAKE THE DEAD LOUD.

At least i have Profilecare so I don't have to remember
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast