View Poll Results: The next new ability you would like a future Treo to have is. . . . .

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • GPS

83 58.04%
  • WiFi

52 36.36%
  • Something Else

8 5.59%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    If you are in a campus, you get access to computer in 1) Library 2) PC lab 3) Computer classes and your room anyway.
    You didn't read my statement correctly.

The only times I use wifi, I don't have access to a computer.

When I'm in class (Sprint usually doesn't get good signal in any of my classrooms for whatever reason, Cingular and T-Mobile do, don't know about Verizon), and I want to look something up online to talk to my friends on AIM (please don't give me lame statements about how I should be taking notes instead of talking on AIM), my Treo becomes almost useless because the low signal makes it almost impossible to browse the web at decent speeds, not to mention it'll eat my battery very quickly.

When I'm in the cafeteria (surprsingly, Sprint is the only carrier that gets any service there, although the signal is still low), it's still more convenient for me to hop on a wifi connection than to struggle with 1xRTT and a low signal. Once again, the battery issue. Not saying wifi isn't a battery hog itself, but I think a strong wifi connection that I only need to use for a couple of minutes (since it's faster) will eat up less battery than a weak 1xRTT connection.

Plus you missed my point. I am saying, in American, in alot of cities, if you don't have FON, if you don't have a paid $30/m TMobile account, if your city doesn't have utility free wifi, you can't find access to free wifi easily.
    I never said anything about finding access to wifi easily, I simply said that being in a wifi hotspot does not necessarily mean there's a computer nearby. And like BMIC50 said, why carry a laptop when you can do the same thing on your pocketable Treo?

For example, I am in New York, I am pretty sure the Starbuck close to me doesn't have free wifi. I had a roadtrip to Tennessee with my friend last month. Every Motel 6, Days Inn and no-name motel advertised free wifi, yet non of them work, well at lease not the 3 we stay. So that's free wifi in America for you.
    Well that's just your situation. My point is that in addition to having regular cellular data, I'd like to have wifi as a backup. I don't think most people in the US look at wifi as a replacement data connection, but rather as a supplement/backup. However, in Europe and Australia, wifi is a bit more useful because their data packages are very expensive. There, I could see wifi being the main connection. It's not about how easily you can find a wifi connection, but rather having the option to be able to use one if you want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    If you're on the move, do you really think you'd have access to WiFi without stopping at a hotspot (public, open, free, whatever)?

I have cellular service everywhere. It's not as fast as WiFi, but it's consistant.
    Ok, and what if you have to stop at a hotspot? So what?

And yes you get service everywhere, but that's just your situation. If I'm in area with little to no servie, what choice do I have if I don't have wifi?
    okay, so i'm testing a phone that has the ability to switch between wifi and gsm, and if it find a hotspot to use it instead of gsm.

i live in brooklyn, work in upper west side manhattan and been in queens (shea) a lot lately. the only wifi spot i connected too so far is the one at home.

so, wifi isnt everywhere in the city yet.

most are secure, the way it is supposed to be.

of the 3 choices, i chose other, even though i dont know what the other is. maybe thiiner?

other than sound commands, what does gps do that google maps and direction doesnt do?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    That's what I was looking for! Now I can vote...
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    ........other than sound commands, what does gps do that google maps and direction doesnt do?
    It knows where you are. It gives you turn-by-turn directions as you need them, not simply a route between two points. If you miss a turn or get lost, it automatically recalculates your route. It gives you current estimated time of arrival. It gives you points-of-interest near your location. It will give you directions to the nearest Starbucks, police station, hospital, or Dunkin Donuts and then gets you back on your route.

I use DA and Google maps. There is no comparison. It is sort of like having a Treo. Until you have one, I cannot explain it to you.
    Even within EVDO range, google map loads 10X slower than TomTom, they are not in the same league.

Plus google map doesn't do turn by turn navigstion. But google should add that function in the google map app (in term of hooking up to a GPS receiver via bluetooth.)

I never understand some of the design choice google made for their map applications. For example, not offering bookmark on google map but have it in google earth. It just don't make any sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    That's what I was looking for! Now I can vote...
    Here's one for you...a higher-capacity battery...natively! Maybe an 8 hour battery that doesnt require a hideous hump!
    I'll take Wifi. I have navi in my car so I don't feel the need to it in my Treo as well. Wifi, on the other hand, would be great if I can't get a decent EVDO signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Here's one for you...a higher-capacity battery...natively! Maybe an 8 hour battery that doesnt require a hideous hump!
    How about 16 hours in the size of a watch battery? That's my vote!
    Gps. As Colligan and Hawkins talk about location-based services in future treos, this is a logical new feature. Wifi is a catch as catch can type of thing. Its great if you're near a hotspot, but useless if you aren't.
    After having my treo for a while, I'd have to say extra battery life would help me the most in my day to day activities.

I've gotten used to connecting my treo to my cig lighter, home charger and such, but it would be nice to not have to worry about battery life.

I don't need gps or wifi in my current situation so I can't feel that at all.

My other need/want would be better rf on the device... get it up to moto and nokia standards. (not the pantec devices being pushed as nokias.)

Thin would be ok... but I fear that would decrease battery life even more.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    After having my treo for a while, I'd have to say extra battery life would help me the most in my day to day activities.

I've gotten used to connecting my treo to my cig lighter, home charger and such, but it would be nice to not have to worry about battery life.

I don't need gps or wifi in my current situation so I can't feel that at all.

My other need/want would be better rf on the device... get it up to moto and nokia standards. (not the pantec devices being pushed as nokias.)

Thin would be ok... but I fear that would decrease battery life even more.
    01000010 01010100 01010111
    00101010 01110000 01101111 01101111 01110000 00101010
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Maybe if some people would start listening to me
    Difficult to do when we are umm... distracted by something.

BTW, Gps are neat, but WIFI are much better if you are on EDGE and near a hotspot with broadband capability...
    GPS hands down for me. I need it integrated ... I've already left one bluetooth unit in a rental car at Gatwick (and never got it back)....at my age, it's only a matter time before I leave behind another one. Besides, as many have pointed out, having UTMS/HSDPA off sets my need for WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    GPS hands down for me. I need it integrated ... I've already left one bluetooth unit in a rental car at Gatwick (and never got it back)....at my age, it's only a matter time before I leave behind another one. Besides, as many have pointed out, having UTMS/HSDPA off sets my need for WiFi.
    Yes. However, one must be on WM to have UTMS/HSDPA. The Treo line has become so fragmented that even the high-level design choices have become so complex as to defy solution. The carriers do not help any.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Arent the GPS receivers today small enough to pocket and sensitive enough to be accurate if left there?
    Arent the GPS receivers today small enough to pocket and sensitive enough to be accurate if left there?
    I think battery life is still a problem. You would have to keep it charged all the time and remember to take it with you when needed, and then return it to the charger when finished with it. That works for a bluetooth headset, but not for something which you may only use infrequently.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I think battery life is still a problem. You would have to keep it charged all the time and remember to take it with you when needed, and then return it to the charger when finished with it. That works for a bluetooth headset, but not for something which you may only use infrequently.

Surur
    Since you would most likely use it in the car and most manufacturers provide you with a car charger, I dont think this will be a problem!
    Since you would most likely use it in the car and most manufacturers provide you with a car charger, I dont think this will be a problem!
    Except that you then have to keep the car charger plugged in, which is rather ungainly. It obviously does works, but its not an ideal solution.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    My Holus 236 is rated for 12h.. I've used it for 5 continuous, and I've found it on many hours after using it after forgetting to turn it off.

When I go on car trips, I simply plug it and the Treo in to keep them charged. but if I'm hiking or geocaching, it's not a concern.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast