View Poll Results: The next new ability you would like a future Treo to have is. . . . .

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • GPS

    83 58.04%
  • WiFi

    52 36.36%
  • Something Else

    8 5.59%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66
  1. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #21  
    Its gotta be gps. the wifi bird has flown, I think. lost little puppies might then be able to find their way.....
    I gotta have more cowbell
  2. #22  
    GPS, there are alternatives to WiFi (BT, GPRS, 3G...) already available on the Treo.
  3. #23  
    GPS, as long as it's real GPS and SirfStar III or better. WiFi sucks too much battery, takes up more space, and isn't all that useful to me.

    Reminds me of a friend who got some Windows Immobile phone with no data plan because "it has wifi!!". Some weeks later he starts asking me how much data costs on Cingular and how to get the cheapest package because every time he tried to do something data related he had to track down a wifi spot first. All I could say was "Duh?"
  4. #24  
    GPS

    With my SERO EVDO data plan (thanks Sprint) I have no real need for WiFi however, I can see how other people want/need it.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  5. #25  
    After Sprint kills my 'non-unlimited' data usage, wifi will have to do! Besides, if you ran your EVDO/3G internet, it would suck your batter just as bad! GPS via BT is fine for me since you can keep the portable GPS in your car...where its needed!
  6. #26  
    WIFI -got gps in my car
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    GPS, as long as it's real GPS and SirfStar III or better.
    I agree. I don't want any of the options with the GPS on the main chip that both HTC and Nokia offer until they get a whole lot better. I want quick start and flawless performance under tricky conditions ('urban canyons' etc). I have a SirfStar III BT GPS now and I couldn't be doing with anything slower or less sensitive. Unfortunately the count of 3G, SirfStar III phones is, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $currently$ $zero$.
  8. emajy's Avatar
    Posts
    246 Posts
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    #28  
    WiFi as I carry my CDMA Treo into the Caribbean anyway at least I could use it in the hotels.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    After Sprint kills my 'non-unlimited' data usage, wifi will have to do! Besides, if you ran your EVDO/3G internet, it would suck your batter just as bad! GPS via BT is fine for me since you can keep the portable GPS in your car...where its needed!
    I just have to ask a real world question: when you are in a hotspot,aren't you close to or have access to a computer anyway?
  10. #30  
    I don't need WiFi now because I am with Sprint (lots of data available) and I already have a Bluetooth GPS/TomTom. If I had to pick one I would go with GPS first.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

    Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I just have to ask a real world question: when you are in a hotspot,aren't you close to or have access to a computer anyway?
    How exactly do you figure that? If I go to Starbucks, do they have computers for me to borrow? Just because you're in a hotspot, doesn't necessarily mean there'll be a computer for you to use. I get wifi all round the campus, but the only times I use it, I don't have a computer to use (unless I want to interupt my friends taking notes and ask them to use their laptop )
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Okay, just curious . . . . if you had to pick just one new ability in the future Palm/Linux OS Treo what would it be?

    GPS (with mapping and location based service software)
    WiFi
    Something else

    Cheers, Perry.
    Perry,

    You already know that I am a GSM user. I have purchased every GSM Treo, even including the 680. I also use a B/T connected Holux GPS. I am a POS user and advocate. So, I consider GSM, B/T, and POS to be hard requirements.

    I have recently become a Sprint Broadband user. Cingular/EDGE via PDANet has become unstable; the connection drops every couple of minutes. It was not fast enough for some applications even when stable. Sprint Broadband was the best alternative for a special situation. I am very pleased with it. Price, convenience, speed, and coverage are the best in the market.

    All of the reports that I have read on WM have been sufficiently discouraging that I would not go to it even for UMTS/HSDPA.

    While I expect to buy an iPhone, I am not likely to buy another Treo that does not support POS, B/T, and UMTS/HSDPA. While GPS and WiFi might be nice, they are not necessary to get my business. While pricing of service may play a role [Cingular charges much more for slow data than Sprint does for fast], having used Sprint Broadband and WiFi, I would rather have UMTS/HSPDA than WiFi. I would not want GPS or WiFi if they resulted in battery life like that on the 680.

    Since it does not seem likely that Palm will meet my requirements, my 650 is probably my last Treo.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I just have to ask a real world question: when you are in a hotspot,aren't you close to or have access to a computer anyway?
    No! A Treo is far easier to carry, boot up, and take care of what you need than a laptop. And a more useful item for the Treo would be built in wifi. GPS is needed primarily in the vehicle..so it only makes sense to have the BT GPS module in the car. In instances where you are not in your car, they make small enough BT GPS modules to fit in your pocket. And since they DONT make wifi modules (Endora Wifi sled...R.I.P) that are portable enough to go with the Treo, it only strengthens the argument to put wifi in a Treo instead of GPS.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    How exactly do you figure that? If I go to Starbucks, do they have computers for me to borrow? Just because you're in a hotspot, doesn't necessarily mean there'll be a computer for you to use. I get wifi all round the campus, but the only times I use it, I don't have a computer to use (unless I want to interupt my friends taking notes and ask them to use their laptop )
    If you are in a campus, you get access to computer in 1) Library 2) PC lab 3) Computer classes and your room anyway.

    Plus you missed my point. I am saying, in American, in alot of cities, if you don't have FON, if you don't have a paid $30/m TMobile account, if your city doesn't have utility free wifi, you can't find access to free wifi easily.

    For example, I am in New York, I am pretty sure the Starbuck close to me doesn't have free wifi. I had a roadtrip to Tennessee with my friend last month. Every Motel 6, Days Inn and no-name motel advertised free wifi, yet non of them work, well at lease not the 3 we stay. So that's free wifi in America for you.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    If you are in a campus, you get access to computer in 1) Library 2) PC lab 3) Computer classes and your room anyway.

    Plus you missed my point. I am saying, in American, in alot of cities, if you don't have FON, if you don't have a paid $30/m TMobile account, if your city doesn't have utility free wifi, you can't find access to free wifi easily.

    For example, I am in New York, I am pretty sure the Starbuck close to me doesn't have free wifi. I had a roadtrip to Tennessee with my friend last month. Every Motel 6, Days Inn and no-name motel advertised free wifi, yet non of them work, well at lease not the 3 we stay. So that's free wifi in America for you.
    Sounds like you need to chose better hotels! And free wifi is something that is growing...your argument doesnt make since because not all cities offer EVDO, either.

    Didnt miss your point...maybe you missed mine. Its easier to whip out your Treo vs. a laptop to do menial jobs and since you ALREADY have portable GPS solutions but no portable wifi solution for the Treo, it stands to reason that wifi would make the better choice.

    Another point that should be researched and considered...how much bulk will either add? Will the GPS add more bulk than a wifi chip? I dont know, but that would determine feasibility!
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Sounds like you need to chose better hotels! ......
    Not!

    Strangely enough it is the high priced hotels that charge extra.
  17. #37  
    All Hampton Inns offer free wifi...and most of them are better than 'no-name' hotels...! As a matter of fact, most Hilton family hotels offer free wifi.
  18. #38  
    I'd like both, but chose WiFi for a few reasons.

    1. I already have a bluetooth GPS unit that I use with my 650 but I do not have WiFi with my 650.

    2. The data plans are expensive in Australia, $49.95 for 300MB.

    3. I have WiFi at home and at work.

    If we had an unlimited data plan in Australia for a reasonable price then I would choose GPS.
  19. json's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    #39  
    I'd take a piece of wifi pie please. if i'm going somewhere i have never been i'm lookin up the directions first then printing them up or if i'm already on the move then google maps is helping me thanks to wifi.
  20. #40  
    If you're on the move, do you really think you'd have access to WiFi without stopping at a hotspot (public, open, free, whatever)?

    I have cellular service everywhere. It's not as fast as WiFi, but it's consistant.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions