1.    #1  
    You know the Sonly Clie UX50 was a great little device...far ahead in the market at the time imo:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/images...ux50_rev_l.jpg

The only (well the most important) thing missing from the thing was a cellular radio! I think a PalmOS/Frankengarnet based device with the form factor of the UX50 would have been a phenomenal device. In fact, I would think something like this is exactly what the Foleo/Hawking device or whatever is supposed to be. That would be awesome. The key is that the thing MUST be pocketable like the UX50, not something in between in size like most UMPC's that are neither pocketable or handheld size. IF the UX50 had a cellular radio, some external keys on the out casing with sub-LCD etc, this would be a great handheld/smartphone device. There have been alot of other designs out there similar to this, but nothing imo that came close to the potential that the UX50 had! It was rumored at the time that the next gen UX series from Sony was going to have an integrated phone, but alas Sony left the PDA market shortly afterwards. Maybe if Palm is listening, they would consider revisiting a similar form factor....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Similar would be sorta okay... But the keyboard on those were AWFUL. Maybe a double-flip phone...
    i always thought those units looked nice.
    Not very one-handed though.
    That is exactly what I have been hoping the new device will be, a Sony Clie UX50 type device with more memory, Linux based (multitasking) Palm OS, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPRS & HSPDA (3G).
    I actually completed a Palm survey (it was for a competition) a few years ago and this is what I submitted as my ideal device.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    i always thought those units looked nice.
    OMG soooooooooooo agreed!

I almost bought this one day when I was in CompUSA but after finding out there wasnt a phone nor did it have POS I obviously didnt.

Man o man I love that design.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I always liked the portrait-oriented flip Clies. That form-factor would make a great smartphone, IMO.
    Sorry I hate it. :P

It's too big you need a man-purse to carry it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    OMG soooooooooooo agreed!

I almost bought this one day when I was in CompUSA but after finding out there wasnt a phone nor did it have POS I obviously didnt.

Man o man I love that design.
    Um, of course it's POS.
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    I owned the UX50. It was awesome! Not good for one handed operation, but 2 handed, the keyboard was amazing, super responsive and easy to type on.

This was when Sony was at it's peak with production of palm models, remember when they released a new pda ever couple of months. Those were the good old days of POS innovation. Now, we just see the same treo over and over again.

It's really too bad sony decided to leave the palm market.... so sad.
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Sorry I hate it. :P

It's too big you need a man-purse to carry it.
    It was quite slim actually, felt smaller in the pocket than my fat 700p
    I'm guessing that if Palm was to make such a device, it would have to have an external screen, keypad, and phone buttons. I can't think of how a flip/clamshell landscape oriented device could work as a phone without them.