Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I've got a 700p and i'm thinking about downgrading to the 650 (lots of reasons - mainly features that have been disabled / made buggy with the 700p that seem to work fine with the 650).

anyway, my 700p was being difficult and some of the keys stopped functioning properly so it was decided that they'd replace my phone in accordance with my insurance i pay for monthly. I'm going to try and get them to replace it with a 650 instead, but I have this feeling it's not going to fly.

if i sell the new 700p instead and buy a 650 on ebay or something, does anyone know if sprint will apply the insurance to the 650 or does it have to be done through them for insurance to apply?

any light shed on this would be awesome, thanks! Also curious if people are finding that this is a good move or if my judegement is cloudy - my friend with a 650 seems to never have a single issue but I am always running into trouble (locked picture mails, random crashes, not getting my texts all the time, etc)

thanks!
    The insurance should transfer to whatever phone you have active on your line. I had an A900 I bought from Sprint when I renewed my contract in January of 06. Feb 07, I bought a used 650 and they didn't give me any trouble about keeping my insurance. The key is that the insurance must be added within 30 days of the phone being activated. After that has been taken care of, I don't think Sprint really cares where you get the phone from.
    YES, Sprint DOES care where you get the phone from...

you are correct on the 30 day ordeal.

-- trick is: when you do the ESN swap, just tell them your phone was from a "service and repair" and you want to add the insurance plan.

In your case, your plan currently has the TEP on there anyhow, so it will automatically transfer over, no problems.
    PS. I got a few treo 650s.. if you want to swap it with me, Ill be happy to take your 700.. (i'll pay the difference)
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    Can you elaborate? I can't think of any situation in which Sprint wouldn't allow a customer to activate a phone that wasn't bought from Sprint directly. As long as the phone is a Sprint phone with a clean ESN they should activate it right? It shouldn't really matter where you buy it from, as long as the ESN is clean really...

I know personally that no Sprint rep has ever questioned where I got my phone from whenever I did an ESN swap....
    I was referring to the insurance adding...and not activation.

Sprint will activate ANY ESN (of course) if it is clean.

But re: the insurance, they technically require you buy the phone from the Sprint store. (same goes for Verizon).
    I doubt Sprint will activate any Verizon Treo.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

you are correct on the 30 day ordeal.

-- trick is: when you do the ESN swap, just tell them your phone was from a "service and repair" and you want to add the insurance plan.

In your case, your plan currently has the TEP on there anyhow, so it will automatically transfer over, no problems.
    In this instance, what does TEP stand for? I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I doubt Sprint will activate any Verizon Treo.
    http://www.coloradodeaf.com/mar/700wx.pdf

or did you mean something else? (just wondering)
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aslmentor View Post

I don't think that's got much to do with crossing over to verizon (verizon and sprint use different wireless technology, like how cingular is GSM and sprint is CDMA - not sure what verizon is but I know it's not compatible with sprint and vice versa).

still, this is pretty cool - it looks a lot like the plan t-mobile has with the sidekick for data only. I hope that maybe this means a better version of AIM for treo will become available and that will also work on older models not just this one, because toccer is crap but i'm not buying a 700mx just so i can have a better version of aim.

however, toccer DOES suck. anyone have anything better for AIM on their treos?
    I contacted customer support and she confirmed that sprint has a 29.99 unlimited data plan-

I checked coverage and it looked really good. (edited) they are offering it at 29.99 with contract because its a data plan with NO voice plan-

Also are sprint's network 3g rated or only gsm/grps like tmobile(what edge? I see no edge! )
    Last edited by aslmentor; 04/16/2007 at 01:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    just got off the phone with someone at my local sprint store and they said that when you have total equip protection coverage, your LINE is insured not just the phone, so any phone (new or used or even liquid damaged) is covered (liquid damage costs $50 to replace but still covered). how about that?

and what is the difference between 3g and gsm/grps?

sigh. Sometimes I need to be more clearer with my posts.

ONLY if its a Sprint phone (Sprint logo'ed) Sprint will activate it.

When I mentioned Sprint will activate ANY phone, it was under the assumption it was a Sprint branded phone, and in the Sprint ESN data bank.
    sigh. Sometimes I need to be more clearer with my posts.

ONLY if its a Sprint phone (Sprint logo'ed) Sprint will activate it.

When I mentioned Sprint will activate ANY phone, it was under the assumption it was a Sprint branded phone, and in the Sprint ESN data bank.
    Let me check on that. Be back with an answer....
    Let me check on that. Be back with an answer....
    No it wont work - only if you purchase Sprint Treo and then it will be on the Sprint network.

In other words, unlocked non sprint, treos won't work on the sprint network.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffkrenn View Post
    In this instance, what does TEP stand for? I'm curious.
    TEP - Total Equipment Protection
    ERP - Equipment Replacement Program
    ESRP - Equipment Service and Replacement Program

With ERP, they'll replace your phone if your phone has been damaged beyond repair and it's functionality has been decreased (such as not being able to make calls or something). There is a $50 fee everytime you get your phone replaced with this service, unless you get them to waive it somehow (usually they'll waive it if the phone is under warranty)

With ESRP, they repair your phone for a fee of $10.

TEP is a combination of ERP and ESRP, hence the "Total" part of the name.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    PS. I got a few treo 650s.. if you want to swap it with me, Ill be happy to take your 700.. (i'll pay the difference)
    Hey Trim, I sent you a message about this, did you get it?
    jeff, just replied