1.    #1  
    First, let me say that I love the PalmOS. I am so used to it, it seems like second nature. Please don't take the following as a flame, it's the truth and it's my story.

I purchased my first Palm, the Pilot 1000, when I was 16. Since then I've had a PalmPilot Personal and then a Professional. I picked up a Handspring Visor when it came out because I liked the Springboard idea and had a ton of modules. I stepped up to a color unit with the Visor Prism. From there, Sony got my money. I started with a PEG-NR70V, moved up to a PEG-NX70V, then finally a PEG-NX80V.

My next unit was a Treo, the 600. I loved the unit except the lack of a removable battery (hint, hint, iPhone). I picked up the 650 the day it was released. When Verizon came out with the 700w I figured I would give Windows a try, but I didn't like it at all and went back to the 650. When the 700p came out I picked it up the first day and fell in love with EVDO. I didn't realize some of the bugs in the system until I sold my 650.

As Palm has delayed the release of the patch and there is no viable workaround for the SMS issues, I was forced to have Verizon take back my 700p and send me a Blackberry. Although I am losing a ton of features (camera, expandable memory, touchscreen, etc) I now have a unit that won't freeze everytime I send an SMS message.

So, after 11 years of contact, appointments, and memo's...I say goodbye to the PalmOS. 11 Palm devices over 11 years.

Erik

PS. In case you are wondering, in between those I tried several Windows PDAs...I still have my Axim as a GPS system in one of my vehicles. I had an iPAQ, and some sort of Casio device that I don't remember. I also had a REX 5000 and 6000 which I thought were by far the best form factor but suffered from limited applications.
    What, no Treo 300? Just kidding.
    Wife has the Pearl & loves it-but she has no choice because of work.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I went to windows mobile 5 on the IP-830W and now I am back on Palm OS. THe grass is not always greener....

If my 650 had EVDO it would be the ultimate device (for me anyway...)

After careful thought, I truely believe Palm OS is the most efficient way for an average user to get things done, period.
    Last edited by car_designer; 04/14/2007 at 12:57 PM.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer View Post
    I went to windows mobile 5 on the IP-830W and now I am back on Palm OS. THe grass is not always greener....

If my 650 had EVDO it would be the ultimate device (for me anyway...)
    Completely agree...WM was not for me. It was too clunky and it drove me nuts that X didn't close programs, just hid them and kept them running in memory.

TurboTiger - I don't think Verizon had a Treo 300, and I've been on Verizon (well some form of it, Bell Atlantic Mobile) since my first Cell phone.

Erik
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosiv122 View Post
    First, let me say that I love the PalmOS. I am so used to it, it seems like second nature. Please don't take the following as a flame, it's the truth and it's my story.

I purchased my first Palm, the Pilot 1000, when I was 16. Since then I've had a PalmPilot Personal and then a Professional. I picked up a Handspring Visor when it came out because I liked the Springboard idea and had a ton of modules. I stepped up to a color unit with the Visor Prism. From there, Sony got my money. I started with a PEG-NR70V, moved up to a PEG-NX70V, then finally a PEG-NX80V.

My next unit was a Treo, the 600. I loved the unit except the lack of a removable battery (hint, hint, iPhone). I picked up the 650 the day it was released. When Verizon came out with the 700w I figured I would give Windows a try, but I didn't like it at all and went back to the 650. When the 700p came out I picked it up the first day and fell in love with EVDO. I didn't realize some of the bugs in the system until I sold my 650.

As Palm has delayed the release of the patch and there is no viable workaround for the SMS issues, I was forced to have Verizon take back my 700p and send me a Blackberry. Although I am losing a ton of features (camera, expandable memory, touchscreen, etc) I now have a unit that won't freeze everytime I send an SMS message.

So, after 11 years of contact, appointments, and memo's...I say goodbye to the PalmOS. 11 Palm devices over 11 years.

Erik

PS. In case you are wondering, in between those I tried several Windows PDAs...I still have my Axim as a GPS system in one of my vehicles. I had an iPAQ, and some sort of Casio device that I don't remember. I also had a REX 5000 and 6000 which I thought were by far the best form factor but suffered from limited applications.
    PLEASE GIVE PALM ONE MORE CHANCE WITH THE MODEL THEY WILL RELEASE IN DECEMBER!
    I know your frustrations! I started out with the Palm Professional (got the memory bumped up) Went to the Palm V (what a nice unit) Aquired the M500 and the 515, took a break with the HP 1910 (a very good unit) Tried the next Windows upgrade from Hp and hated it! Went to the Treo 600 (bought it three time before I kept it). Moved on to the 650 and bought the 650 for my Wife and then aquired the Treo 700p. Also I have tried the Window Mobile Treo 700wx two times and really tried to like it. Returned it to Sprint. I hope to get the 755p if the lag is fixed! Of course if the update works I will wait to get the new phone in December. Is that the mystery device!. Jeff really needs somthing to woo the customers from the I-phone back to Palm. Maybe Palm will gear up and start releasing updates (new phones with sigificiant improvements like apple has done with the ipod's). Apple is a bad boy too; they have not as yet put bluetooth on the ipods and I do not know why! I also want Palm to give us AD2P for bluetooth and voice, also location support so we can load Tom Tom or some navigation support without an additional device.

But please give Palm One More Chance. They have created the blog and that is a start!

Take Care Erik

Jerry Giardina (I am a CRNA and I use my device for everything in my work and personal life.)
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosiv122 View Post

TurboTiger - I don't think Verizon had a Treo 300, and I've been on Verizon (well some form of it, Bell Atlantic Mobile) since my first Cell phone.

Erik
    That explains it. I loved my Treo 300 but it was nothing compare to the 700p. I also loved my Prism even though I was on my 6th one before moving on.

Good luck.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    But please give Palm One More Chance. They have created the blog and that is a start!
    Unfortunately, it's too little too late. The first night I had the BB I was cursing it. I told my GF I couldn't understand how the business world functions with such an awkward device...to me everything seemed to be wrong. When I spoke to a VZW tech and picked his brain for over 2 hours trying to get the 'treo' experience on the BB he said something that stuck..."most users find it strange at first, then they wonder how they lived without it." That's my exact feeling after only a few days.

Here's the issue. Yes, I lost a camera, and yes I did use it on my Treo...about 3 times a month for random pictures like funny signs or a cool car...but these pictures aren't going to be saved, just emailed or MMS to a friend. Did I lose a video player? Yes. How many times have I used it? Once. Why? Battery life. Did I lose an Mp3 player? Yes. Did I ever use my Treo as an Mp3 player? No. Why not? iPod Nano on my belt.

I used my Treo for Contacts, Calender, Memos, Calculator, Excel, E-mail, SMS & MMS, Quicken, and WorldMate (mainly for weather). That's it. I had a ton of things on my Clie's back then but when I made the move to a Treo I gave up the goodies (yes I still have solitaire and bejeweled) for stability and battery life. I could care less if my Clie died before I went to bed, but my Treo must be on all day and all night (until I can charge it). I couldn't care if my Clie reset from a bad app here and there...I wouldn't miss a call while it reset. When I combined my PDA and my phone the phone always had to take priority...and here is where the treo fell short (as I finally realize).

E-mail on the Treo is terrible. I tried Verizon's Wireless sync...it stunk. I've tried a few third party apps...none of them fit, and none of them did my old hotmail account. Versamail was alright but it drained the battery and only updated in incriments. While it was updating calls went straight to voicemail. The BB with the Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) is incredible. All my email accounts (well, 10 of them anyway) get instantly pushed to the BB, including my hotmail account. I don't need to leave my PC on all day, I don't need to setup an exchange server, nothing. I LOVE IT! Best of all, my calls come through.

Web browsing on the Treo wasn't the best either...I managed with it but again calls would be sent to voicemail. Not with the BB...it says a call has come in and I can choose to take it or not.

Treo did SMS 10000% better then the BB does, no question. The Chatlog type feel to the Treo is top notch. Of course the BB doesn't freeze, so I can't complain too much.

BB Calender app is a joke compared to the Treo's. It's very basic and plain and without the hardkeys or a touch screen, to switch between views is a pain. You can setup the keyboard to switch views but then you can't instantly enter data either. Hard to explain, but it's not very good. Here is where you can tell the BB came from e-mail roots and the Treo's roots are in PDAs.

Memos are memos and the calculator is ok, but without the touch screen it's just more tedious to use. They make worldmate for the BB and I am still researching a good PocketQuicken alternative.

All that said...I am totally hooked to my BB. I am spending less time at home at night going through countless emails (I have 13 accounts, 10 get pushed to the BB now) and I feel much more 'in touch' with my e-mail getting them all throughout the day. I totally understand the 'crackberry' moniker.

I must say, part of me died when they canceled the Clie...another part when the Treo didn't use graffiti...the final part is dead after using the BB...I won't be back.

Erik
    Last edited by tifosiv122; 04/14/2007 at 05:22 PM.
    I left Palm after the 650. Had many units prior. Used WM5 (6700) thought it was okay. Then got a 700wx, then got a Moto Q. I became fed up with WM, and Palm was too antiquated.

So I got a blackberry 8703e w/Sprint. My initial impression was not good, the ancient calendar and limited multimedia almost made me return it.

Then I realized how refreshing it was to have a device that worked all the time. Email, calendar, tasks, internet, calls, bluetooth, everything just simply works 100% of the time, period.

That said, I have owned the BB for 1 month now, and at this point, I will never own any other device. It's amazing. I hate to sound fanboyish, but I absolutely love my BB, and no Palm/WM device can come close to touching it.
    I've thought about going the BB route, I have a 650 on Cingular now. However since Cingular has a unlimited data plan for $20 a month, making the jump to $35 a month with a BB seems to expensive for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    I left Palm after the 650. Had many units prior. Used WM5 (6700) thought it was okay. Then got a 700wx, then got a Moto Q. I became fed up with WM, and Palm was too antiquated.

So I got a blackberry 8703e w/Sprint. My initial impression was not good, the ancient calendar and limited multimedia almost made me return it.

Then I realized how refreshing it was to have a device that worked all the time. Email, calendar, tasks, internet, calls, bluetooth, everything just simply works 100% of the time, period.

That said, I have owned the BB for 1 month now, and at this point, I will never own any other device. It's amazing. I hate to sound fanboyish, but I absolutely love my BB, and no Palm/WM device can come close to touching it.
    From another perspective... I've had a Pam since they were US Robotics... Sort of analagous to the green screen VDT displays compared to the vibrant LCDs and Plasma color screens of today. I synched at work and felt my life was so much more organized and easy to manage I wondered what I would do if I didn't have it. I still have it, by the way, on a shelf in my den. It did what it did very well and while it had no wireless capability, that was all about to change... Many devices later, wireless modem attachments, a Sony Clie and now a Treo 700p I'm still a fan!

Windows mobile? OK, I admit to having a brief fling with the Ipaq... OK a couple of them... I have a one with wi-fi, bluetooth and a fingerprint reader that I use sometimes and I always ask myself why bother? At home I use a new wireless powerbook and on the road I wear a Treo and Blackberry. That's right both of them. I had a personal Blackberry for several years and love the ease of the email push. My current one is from work, A Nextel 7520, great screen (well bright anyway), with phone, radio and web. But its a work phone and not for personal use. To buy another Blackberry for personal use seemed a waste, and to have to pay the extra $40 a month plus the voice place even more of a waste...

The Treo's data plan is $15 from Sprint and with Chatteremail+ on an IMAP server it's just about the same experience as the Blackberry.

Given the choice of one device, sorry windows and BB, but the Treo wins!
    Why do people bother posting that they are leaving palm devices behind, just go.
    See ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    Why do people bother posting that they are leaving palm devices behind, just go.
    See ya.
    I'm surprised it took someone this long...11th post in the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I'm surprised it took someone this long...11th post in the thread.

I am glad that they post! If Palm would read these forums; there would be hopefully more hope for Palm to address the problems and see the reasons why some are leaving the Treo behind.

It's going to be difficult to wait until Dec, if there are no more delays with the new OS or future Treo's
  14.    #14  
    I am glad that they post! If Palm would read these forums; there would be hopefully more hope for Palm to address the problems and see the reasons why some are leaving the Treo behind.
    100% the reason.

Erik
    Oh, believe me...I am too! It's just that usually the "Don't the door hit ya in the ***" posts usually surface right away...not so far down the thread.

I'm a die hard Palm user...I won't switch at my age. But if they don't do something and listen to the people leaving their products, I won't have anywhere to go... I would probably just use my 650 and 680 until they fall apart and then turn to using the teeny phones of the future with a paper organizer

It's going to be difficult to wait until Dec, if there are no more delays with the new OS or future Treo's

*If*, palm reads the forums, and for now lets just say they do. For every thread that says I'm leaving palm forever, there is another thread saying Treo noobie here. There are also many threads stating that even though the users are experiencing problems they will purchase the next model.

They aren't losing anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    *If*, palm reads the forums, and for now lets just say they do. For every thread that says I'm leaving palm forever, there is another thread saying Treo noobie here. There are also many threads stating that even though the users are experiencing problems they will purchase the next model.

They aren't losing anything.
    They're on here...they used to post, but now they just lurk
    Well Palm if you are reading this I would like you to make a device as small as the 680 With WI-FI working on a Palm OS treo, Bring The mini SD card back since Micro SD cards always have a smaller capacity And I can’t go back to using a 2GB, Make sure it has EVDO and EDGE, Give it a better Lens "I recommend you go all out, Use top quality glass from Carl Zeiss or Sigma", A 4 mega pixel camera, a focus dial, 512MB internal memory (256MB usable) “Just incase we are stuck with windows mobile” & please allow us the option to install Palm OS if we want.

do all this & Charge $1000.00. ill buy it regardless of its bulk compared to others since it would be the ultimate convergence device and a truly awesome Pocket PC.

I bet you Sony has something with all this but i sware to god ill never give them a single dime if i can help it.
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 04/17/2007 at 09:48 PM.
    I have been a Handspring loyalist since the Visor Deluxe - my first PDA. I followed the Handspring path until I changed employers, and moved into an environment where the company supported Windows CE, and I got a HP Jornada, which I hated. Once I realized that I had enough autonomy in the organization I made the switch back to Palm with the Treo 650, and it was like returning home again. I loved my 650, especially the threaded SMS.

When I busted the screen on my 650, I upgraded to a 700p, and that is when my frustration began. As a Verizon user I was one of the first to isolate and document the SMS lockup issue. As a believer in Palm, it never occurred to me that we would be almost a year from release and there STILL wouldn't be a solution to the lockup issue, and that it STILL would be unnoticed by the adoring industry press. I send upwards of 2500 text messages a month and the lockup issue was CRIPPLING me - I had many, many of the experiences like the Cingular dropped call commercials on TV where people were WAITING for my response and I couldn't DO it.

Fortunately/Unfortunately I soaked my 700p at Disney World six months into owning it, and I switched over to a Moto Q, which I have grown to appreciate. Love, no, appreciate, yes. There are a bunch of things that annoy the hell out of me about WM5 but I don't miss the Treo's touchscreen at all. I love the form factor and the call quality of the Q. I don't enjoy WM5's confirmation screens, the number of clicks/psuhes it takes to dial a call when you find a phone number on IE (3) versus Treo (1). On the one hand I miss threaded SMS, on the other I don't miss the lack of privacy with the Treo. On both my Treos - despite my best efforts - it was difficult/impossible to receive an IM and not have the phone display my entire conversation for all to see if I left the Treo on my desk or the kitchen table. With the Q that isn't an issue...the Q doesn't lockup with SMS either.

I figure the Q will last me another 12 months, and at that point I'll take a look at what Palm's latest offering is - I miss all the free apps with Palm OS, and the advanced user functionality.