1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I'm going to be backpacking through Europe this summer for a few weeks, and rather than take my laptop I've decided to just use my Treo for everything I need. I'll have an unlocked (originally Cingular) Treo 650 and a Cingular SIM card, when I arrive in Europe. What I'd like to get is a single SIM card that will give me data and voice service throughout Western Europe for a reasonable price.

What's the best way to go about doing this? I've heard it's possible to buy a SIM card when you get there - but I've also seen numerous websites claiming that it's better to buy one online before you go.

None of the cards I've seen for sale online even mention data service. Does anyone know what the story is on getting data on a prepaid SIM?

A few things to bear in mind:

First, I use a lot of data - especially when traveling - so the more data (and the cheaper it is) the better. My Cingular card offers me unlimited data in the US, but I'm not sure how it works when roaming.

Second, the card really only needs to work in three countries, where I plan to do the bulk of my traveling - the United Kingdom, France, and Italy.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Matt Smith
    Wayward Backpacking College Student
    www.telestial.com -- that's a possibility. I have a friend who travels a lot (to Pakistan etc.) and he uses their SIMs. I don't know about data, though.

I recently went to Yerp and had a SIM from www.gosim.com. I wouldn't recommend it for a Treo person. Learn from my mistake. Good value. Great for multi-country voice calling but no data service and no voice mail. I ended up using my Sprint SIM (horrible horrible horrible) and my T-Mobile USA SIM.

EDIT: data service is expensive. Even for locals. Suffer with them. I think T-Mobile UK now has some kind of reasonably-priced data service with a reasonable monthly cap. Not sure whether their pre-paid plans give you that data service. I'd check that for the UK leg of your journey. Why don't you PM surur and ask him? He lives there.
    Data service is expensive in Europe. You can get special offers with some operators, but it works only in the original country. Roaming data prices are way expensive...