1.    #1  
    Do any of you guys/gals use your Treo as a modem for your desktop/laptop to connect to the internet? If so, how well does it do? What type of speed do you get? I assume the new 3G is a great improvement over Edge. Will the roll out of HSDPA help even more??

I am planning to buy my Treo soon and I am considering using it to connect to the internet with my desktop and laptop and not get DSL or Broad Band Cable when I move to my new place. I rarely (if ever) download music or large videos. 95% I will only be web surfing ie checking e-mail, paying my bills online, reading articles, reading message boards, buying stuff on E-bay, etc. so I doubt I really need the speed of DSL or Cable.

For those of you who use your Treo as a modem for your computer, how well does it work?
    There are lots of ways to use DUN, it depends on which Treo you decide to get. I have the 680 and use PDANet with the USB cable since it's faster than BT (to me, anyway).
    I use it in emergencies, through PDANet. It is not too stable; when a phone call comes in it seems to disconnect. It is also fairly slow. But it does work OK.
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    I use it in emergencies, through PDANet. It is not too stable; when a phone call comes in it seems to disconnect. It is also fairly slow. But it does work OK.
    Which treo do you have?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    There are lots of ways to use DUN, it depends on which Treo you decide to get. I have the 680 and use PDANet with the USB cable since it's faster than BT (to me, anyway).
    Could you explain what DUN and PDANet are please? I am in the market for a Treo now and have only been reading up on Treos for the past month so I am not up on all the technical stuff quite yet. Thanks in advance.
    DUN is Dial Up Networking, PDANet is a program that allows you to do it with the Treo. I can use my Treo 650 or 680 plugged into my laptop with my USB cable to go online when I don't have internet access from other sources.

You can also use a Bluetooth connection...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert30 View Post
    Could you explain what DUN and PDANet are please? I am in the market for a Treo now and have only been reading up on Treos for the past month so I am not up on all the technical stuff quite yet. Thanks in advance.
    DUN is an acronym for Dial Up Networking. You can do this via the USB sync cable included with your Treo. There are also ways to enable DUN over Bluetooth for a wireless solution. All you need is a driver for your device and your OS.

PDANet is a piece of software that aids in using DUN if your provider doesn't particularly want you to use DUN. At least, that's the way I understand it. I've not used it, personally.

I hope this helps.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    DUN is Dial Up Networking, PDANet is a program that allows you to do it with the Treo. I can use my Treo 650 or 680 plugged into my laptop with my USB cable to go online when I don't have internet access from other sources.

You can also use a Bluetooth connection...
    Thanks for you help.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    DUN is an acronym for Dial Up Networking. You can do this via the USB sync cable included with your Treo. There are also ways to enable DUN over Bluetooth for a wireless solution. All you need is a driver for your device and your OS.

PDANet is a piece of software that aids in using DUN if your provider doesn't particularly want you to use DUN. At least, that's the way I understand it. I've not used it, personally.

I hope this helps.
    Thank you too!
    Well.... I am using my treo 680 as a modem right now, to type this post!

I use the bluetooth connectivity between my Mac powerbook and an unbranded 680 on the cingular network.

About half the times a call comes in while online, I lose the connection and must redial after the call has ended. The other half, the connection continues after the call is completed.

I have an unlimited data plan with cingular. They tell me each month how many megabytes I use. It ranges between 150 meg and 400 meg per month! I download a lot of pod casts and email with my treo.

I have used the treo 680 both with a power pc based 12" powerbook and an intel based 15" mac book pro. It works well with either. I got rid of all my dell laptops before I got the treo 680. Dell laptops used to be good but they really are cheap since about 2002.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    OK, so do I need a third party software (pdanet) installed on both my 680 and my macpb. thanks
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm97 View Post
    OK, so do I need a third party software (pdanet) installed on both my 680 and my macpb. thanks
    I am not sure you need pdanet, it might make it easier though.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott View Post
    Well.... I am using my treo 680 as a modem right now, to type this post!

I use the bluetooth connectivity between my Mac powerbook and an unbranded 680 on the cingular network.
    Is the connection speed satisfactory to you when you are browsing message boards like this or checking e-mail? That is 90% of my online usage.

Rarely do I download music or video. I am thinking of using only the Treo I will be purchasing soon and not even have broadband. If I need to download something large, I will do it at work on a T-1 line or at a family member's who has broadband.
    I use a Sprint 650 with PDANet (recommended) and a USB cable. Not bad, but that's 2-3 yr old technology. Speed is ~80-100k

If you're buying a Treo now, go with the 700P (You have to go with the Palm version. My understanding is that the 700w/wx have issues while using as modem) that is 8-10 times faster if you have 3G coverage (data plan will be more expensive)

Dunno about the 680. I think it's Cingular only and does come with a 3G option.