1.    #1  
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1163-1.htm
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?p=1236540

What do you suppose we should be expecting hardware-wise from Palm? Colligan said that they are standardizing their hardware design process into platforms that will support either OS. I think we should keep an eye on what they spit out for WM in the coming months, especially if no Palm OS counterpart is released.

And it will now be able to handle voice and data at the same time. So, I imagine that built-in WiFi is now in the cards!
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Maybe not. Check out this post in the other thread -- doc31 listened to Ed Colligan's pitch and apparently Mr. C. thinks wifi is a bit too bleeding edge/fashion forward for today's phone users.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1163-1.htm
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?p=1236540

What do you suppose we should be expecting hardware-wise from Palm? Colligan said that they are standardizing their hardware design process into platforms that will support either OS. I think we should keep an eye on what they spit out for WM in the coming months, especially if no Palm OS counterpart is released.

And it will now be able to handle voice and data at the same time. So, I imagine that built-in WiFi is now in the cards!
    Everything sounds interest. But I don't think they are doing the WIFI ever. They see WIFI as a pointless addon when a 3G(4G) radio is present. Thats pretty much how they responded to a question given in Q&A.

I'm wondering if the device is going to have some kind of solid state disk drive bcus they said it will have instant on and instant this
    Good point. Since pretty much every smartphone today has instant on and instant switching between apps, I think that may indicate that the new device will compete more with UMPCs, OQO-like devices, or laptops.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    samkim
    I took instant on as bootup but I see what u're saying. I guess my nose is wide open LOL
    I think it will break alot of apps. For example TomTom is very important to me. I can see them fixing it a few months after the device is released. Or TT will wait till TT7 to release a Linux version, which will take quite a while. Remember how long dids it take for them to fix the Treo 680 problem.

Again I have been asking for a smaller device for years so I am not interested.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    Everything sounds interest. But I don't think they are doing the WIFI ever. They see WIFI as a pointless addon when a 3G(4G) radio is present. Thats pretty much how they responded to a question given in Q&A.

I'm wondering if the device is going to have some kind of solid state disk drive bcus they said it will have instant on and instant this
    Captain Hair my fault
    Correction: They down played wifi but then said that the majority of the future devices will have WIFI included.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I'm encouraged by the news. People keep asking me why I don't do Windows Mobile, and I always reply that I don't run Windows on my PC (all SuSE here), so why on earth would I want it on my phone <g>.

Regardless of how this works with "current" Palm OS apps, I like it. I've always worried "what would happen" if Palm OS died, and Symbian hasn't done it for me. So, I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that this will be a positive development.

Danita
    This has nothing to do with WiFi. It has to do with the fact that all along Palm has said that HSDPA is not possible on Palm OS because it requires simultaneous voice and data transfer. I'm not sure what's different between HSDPA and EVDO in this respect, but perhaps EVDO doesn't require it.
    EVDO Rev 0 doesnt require simultaneous voice and data as you can't use both at the same time. However, EVDO Rev A and moving forward will require the simultaneous voice/data so that is probably another reason why this new Palm OS is so important.

I for one am excited by what Palm has the potential to do. Although I like WM MUCH more than Palm OS, I have no problem switching to a linux POS if it offers me more than WM.