Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So this comes as no surprise that Palm goes to their own flavor of Linux based PalmOS (I think that is what they will call eventually). So what you guys think??
    http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/1163-1.htm
    Last edited by Ehsan; 04/11/2007 at 01:27 AM.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    I Believed !!
  3.    #3  
    yep u did. Bravo. I believed in treo800 as well. I didnt believe it would be this soon (later THIS year). Shoot I have to save already I dont think it would be called treo900 if there is only treo755 remaining before new linux based treo launch (reported late this year)
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    The webcast has moved on to other topics. Sadly, I'm not actually there so I won't be able to ask questions. Ah,well. Hopefully they'll circle back.
    Devices based on the Linux kernel should be released by the end of the year.
    Holy crap. Color me pleasantly surprised!
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    A special congrats to Marc Blank and the chatter team (uh, that would be Marc)! Finally Palm made a smart decision in acquiring Chatter, which is the best app that is available for POS Treo's. If the 755 includes Chatter in the ROM, that would get me to upgrade from my 700p.

Btw, this couldn't happen to a nicer person so congrats again Marc!
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    My bet on "by 02/29/08" is lookin' good.

Backwards compatibility . . .
    Phone and data at the same time . . . .
    multi-tasking (I assume). . . . .
    ChatterMail
    Opera Browser

Last edited by gtwo; 04/10/2007 at 09:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo View Post
    A special congrats to Marc Blank and the chatter team (uh, that would be Marc)! Finally Palm made a smart decision in acquiring Chatter, which is the best app that is available for POS Treo's. If the 755 includes Chatter in the ROM, that would get me to upgrade from my 700p.

Btw, this couldn't happen to a nicer person so congrats again Marc!
    I would be surprised if Chatter made it in time for the 755 (which was probably in testing long before the announcement of Marc's hiring at Palm) but it should definitely make it to the "late this year" release. . .
    Hey, Palm OS, welcome to the new millennium! I hope the quality of the product is as high as my expectations
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    multi-tasking (I assume). . . . .
    From the TC article:

Palm intends to have future PalmOS devices fully support not only muli-threaded tasks (hooray!) but also simultaneous voice and data.

Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    From the TC article:

Palm intends to have future PalmOS devices fully support not only muli-threaded tasks (hooray!) but also simultaneous voice and data.
    Hi Marcol!

Yes, I saw that . . . I erred on the side of caution with my "assume" . . . . I am not completely sure what Ed means by "multi-threaded" tasks. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Hi Perry,

I think that came straight from slide that's in the article. Presumably from Palm? My major (but not only) concern about the absence of multi-tasking with Palm OS is that apparently this means no simultaneous voice and data, which means no 3G for us GSM folk. The slide specifically mentions 'simultaneous voice/data' though... so that's good!
    Hi Marcol!

Yes, I saw that . . . I erred on the side of caution with my "assume" . . . . I am not completely sure what Ed means by "multi-threaded" tasks. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Durr. my fault. it means multitasking. updated the story.
    This is good news. I just hope that they haven't waited too long considering the push for WM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Glad about Opera too. The S60 version at least is a much better browser than Blazer (although still not as good as Nokia's WebKit-based offering, IMO). I didn't even know there was a version of Opera Mobile for Linux. I hope:

"Also of note is that Palm has recently entered into an agreement with Opera to use their browser on "future Palm products.""

means that it will be on the Palm Linux devices.
    As a WM fan, I am VERY excited by this news. I think that a new OS can introduce new things so the two platforms can compete head-to-head again. I am hoping that they change the overall "look" (GUI) of the OS so it's more aesthetically pleasing however. Hmmmm, things are looking good for POS fans.
    Opera Mobile only seems to be available at the moment for WM and Symbian:

http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/products/

There is a version for desktop Linux of course, so perhaps moving it over might not be too difficult.
    Holysht batman.

Homegrown! Now I have to eat my words.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I would be surprised if Chatter made it in time for the 755 (which was probably in testing long before the announcement of Marc's hiring at Palm) but it should definitely make it to the "late this year" release. . .
    Thanks for the update Perry! That seems about right. We'll find out shortly.
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    The right thing to do when you're surfing is to be in the right spot when the big wave comes," said Colligan. "We're lining ourselves up to catch that wave."
    Palm, finally back on track... I hope they release the development platform/ SDK for this soon.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast