Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    A lot will depend on the design decisions they made (e.g. X-windows or not), what libraries the include, and how locked down the OS will be.

Surur
    I'm still Believing that the 700p updater will be more than vapor ware ...

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    Whats really important.

We're now in the carrier certification phase with the Treo 700p MR and as I type this, our best estimate of customer release will be the week of May 28th. In addition to the Bluetooth improvements I mentioned above, the 700p MR includes updates to SMS send/receive performance, MP3 playback, phone app launch speed and other areas. It's admittedly been a much longer project than expected, but we're almost there...

Thanks for reading,

Steve Sinclair
    Treo Product Manager
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=141270
    http://blog.palm.com/palm/2007/04/anatomy_of_a_so.html
    Last edited by sudoer; 04/17/2007 at 07:40 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Personally, I think Palm announced the Linux OS now for a couple of reasons:

1) The iPhone is already kicking their tail. Think about all of the unhappy Treo 700p owners around here that have announced they are jumping ship.

2) Palm needs developers to start writing "killer" apps for the new platform to set it apart from the competition.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Does anyone expect this new OS to be truly backwards-compatible? I see many killer apps being incompatible. Then it's a matter of wait and see. If developers do decide to make their apps compatible quickly, and do so for a modest fee, maybe it's worth sticking with Palm OS. Otherwise, LinuxPalm's "backward compatability" might as well be StyleTap. If the latter is closer to the truth and we have to adopt a DIFFERENT OS, I'm probably going with the OS that has an existing library-WM- rather than wait for Linux developers to start releasing apps.

Good backwards compatability will be the key.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Does anyone expect this new OS to be truly backwards-compatible? I see many killer apps being incompatible. Then it's a matter of wait and see. If developers do decide to make their apps compatible quickly, and do so for a modest fee, maybe it's worth sticking with Palm OS. Otherwise, LinuxPalm's "backward compatability" might as well be StyleTap. If the latter is closer to the truth and we have to adopt a DIFFERENT OS, I'm probably going with the OS that has an existing library-WM- rather than wait for Linux developers to start releasing apps.

Good backwards compatability will be the key.
    I hadn't been keeping up with this thread, but let me drop this bit of obviousness..

This new OS is not going to be backwards compatible with existing hardware. It simply will not be, no questions. Why? R&D associated with just a handful of devices multiplies the resources required for development, test, and support and for what? A feel-good thing with some existing customers who will probably upgrade regardless?

Maybe people can shoe horn it into older devices, but I doubt that too. I suspect it'll need 64M of ram and hopefully have at least 128M of flash, and use the SD without any fuss or silliness like Palm OS does. Basically extend the internal flash.

Let's think about this in a different direction too... Would you rather Palm attempt to get this new OS working on a handful of old devices, or working well on the new ones? Easy (and obvious) answer is the new devices.
    I would happily see my 700wx, 750, and my wife's 650 orphaned by a new better Linux-magic Treo. I would react in the appropriiate way--with my Visa card.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet View Post
    I sincerely hope that this "new" OS will be ported (officially) to the 700 platform.
    How about the 650/680?

Hardware-wise, I *think* most recent Palm devices can handle PalmLinux just fine, and it's up to Palm whether to offer this upgrade to its installed base (with an upgrade fee).
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345