Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Y'know, I'm looking at both the 700wx and the 750 now and I don't think the 750 is much skinnier if at all. Wow. Amputating the antenna made me think it was way smaller than the 700wx when it really isn't.
    yeah, optical illusions. Ok. I thought so far they hadn't changed the basic chassis. In fact Colligan recently announced they wanted to save money by trying to use the same basic form across the line to reduce costs and buy more parts in bulk. Or at least I thought he said that...
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Best news I have heard concerning Palm in a long time. I was starting to wonder if I should plan on eventually moving to a Blackberry or something, if Palm OS was really dead.

The best thing about this announcement is it seemed like Palm is thinking like I do (and many here). emphasizing things like instant on, instant app switching, & over-the-air sync showed that they "get" the essence of Palm that sets it apart from the MS/Windows mindset. Chattermail is clearly the standard in email. Opera is both the standard AND the clear innovator in browsing both on mobile & desktop. There isn't a better partner possible when it comes to mobile internet on a phone device.

I'm excited. (They better make them a little thinner, although it isn't necessary to be as small as a Blackjack.)
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    My two comments:

Hope this does not turn out to be another "Cobalt."

Thank God for Windows mobile.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    This is exciting news...
    I can feel better for Palm (and us) if they can pull it off!

Now for "grain-of-salt" time:

I hope the instigating of a single platform to push out more new phones has better success than the 700w/wx/p situation. There the forcing of the same basic platform was supposedly why the 700p sufferred.

Also the 680/750 situation comes to mind. The same basic platform, but made by two different companies and actually slightly different. This made Seidio have problems when accessories made for one, that were supposed to work on the other, didn't. They had to re-tool for slight differences. Also, one had mini SD and one had SD, no standard there. If you wanted SD you had to go POS/Garnet. If you wanted MS you got miniSD, like it or not.

I also am concerned that a single platform will result in the phones boringly looking all alike (don't they now?). Have one motherboard you can plug different radios or OS chips into, but keep the other board in two pieces, so you have the flexibility of developing a flip-phone if you want. The mother board can be the same, but allow different case styles and shapes, sliders, different screen sizes, etc. Keep one main form for the insides, but allow for slimmer AND bulkier back cases to accommodate either thinner OR more long-lasting batteries. Wouldn't it be cool to develop a standard phone, but allow the user to order a choice of backs with either type battery? They could allow the user to order a phone with either type of memory card as well, SD or smaller type card. The same with the camera module, include hi quality or low rez, or even none for corporate America where it can be forbidden to have a cam.

Don't paint yourself into a corner with one rigid design you can only customize by offering different colors.
    For the love of everything that is good, please don't make the only real difference in the phones be that
    "The new one is Blue"!

Last edited by duanedude1; 04/10/2007 at 10:52 PM.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    duanedude, all of that will make the cost skyrocket and probably also take much longer for models to come out.
    Love the news though I am still on the fence. Up until a few days ago, I was seriously considering upgrading my Sprint T650 (2 years old this May!) to a future WM6-based Treo. (Well, I still am considering.) My T650 crashed again today, but before I heard the news.

OTOH, What's another 8 months to wait for a Palm Linux Treo and make my decisions then? If can keep my Chatter e-mail without having to start fresh with a WM device, even better. By December, the iPhone even will have been out for 6 months and the true competition will have officially begun:

OSX/iPhone OS, Palm OS (end of life?), WM OS, Palm Linux OS, Symbian, Blackberry and any others I've forgotten.

The true test will be: Will the B2B Enterprise software market and most businesses have the option of adopting Linux Treo devices for their employees? We live in a Windows World (sigh).
    Are you sure the costs will skyrocket? If every phone generation up 'til now was basically re-engineered from scratch, that seems like the expensive way to do it. A well-thought-out, but flexible, inside design can actually encourage different models with different capabilities, and quicker.
    How hard is it to change-out a cam module?
    Maybe they don't have to make it totally user-cusomized,
    maybe just offer the options as to which model is purchased.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Any type of customizability for a mobile device is still too cost prohibitive. It would be great to have options like we do when we buy a PC from Dell or HP, but I don't the the economies of scope are there yet for PDAphones. One of the biggest reasons is because Palm doesnt cater mainly to the end user; wireless carriers are Palm's main customer (and HTC's as well). Most people dont buy their cellular devices 'unlocked' but instead want to pay the subsidized price through Cingular or VZW etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I Believed !!
    Well there was at least 2 of us

More here:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/04...velops_own_os/

Fun being right .... well of course that's only can be true when my wife's not around. She took a different philosophy course then I did....while I was pondering whether a tree fell in a forest made a sound she was pondering

"if a man speaks in the forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    My bet on "by 02/29/08" is lookin' good.
    I still say in time for XMas shopping season 2007 ..... I'm thinking 3rd - 4th quarter (edit not palm's 3rd - 4th quarter, calendar's.....from the article above

"Palm is to build its own handheld operating system, combining a Linux foundation with the regular Palm OS look and feel. Work is clearly progressing: devices equipped with the new OS are due later this year, the company's CEO, Ed Colligan, said this week."
    They must have been working on this OS before they got that unlimited license from access.
    Oh definitely. Check out the "Palm Hiring Linux Engineer" and similar threads

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ighlight=Linux
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    They must have been working on this OS before they got that unlimited license from access.
    They must have been working on it when they brought the "Palm" name from PalmSource. That doesn't mean it will be good.

I am no confidence in Palm's home brew software.
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    They must have been working on it when they brought the "Palm" name from PalmSource. That doesn't mean it will be good.

I am no confidence in Palm's home brew software.
    You do remember who made original Palm OS right? Most of those people are back, or stayed with Palm, again. So I do have confidence in them and their new OS.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    It remains to be seen how good or bad this OS will be. I only stated that I'm liking the potential of this new os. I'm a WM guy, but if the LPOS suits my needs better, then boom I'll switch. If not, then no. But I'll probably buy a device to play with.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The entire point of using the linux OS is that Palm DOESN"T have any way to screw it up. To overstate, you can't change linux, you can only use it. Palm is doing their own version of a Garnet emulator, so that you can move your Treo applications to the new phone. This is an application that would run on top of linux, and yes they could screw that up. Palm also has to come up with a GUI that has the usability of Garnet without all the problems. They could screw that up as well, but I doubt they will. The Open Source community has been working on linux GUI's for years, so this shouldn't be rocket science at this point. The emulator is the part that looks tricky to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6 View Post
    The emulator is the part that looks tricky to me.
    Why would it be tricky, Garnet has been emulating the 68000 commands for a while, since all devices are ARM based now.
    You do remember who made original Palm OS right? Most of those people are back, or stayed with Palm, again. So I do have confidence in them and their new OS.
    Oh I remember the good old days. Sony Clie PDA had much better multimedia support, as well as high-re and multi-language support. Don't even let me start the pdf headache.

However I alwasy liked Palm (not Handsprint) 's hardware better.

They are and were hardware engineers at heart, alway have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6 View Post
    The entire point of using the linux OS is that Palm DOESN"T have any way to screw it up. To overstate, you can't change linux, you can only use it.
    This is certainly not true, and in fact the reverse is true. You can change it, but you need to share the changes you make. There is the potential for major forking, in things like power management, interaction with device drivers, interaction with display hardware etc. You could still be using Linux and be on your own little island of incompatibility.

Not saying Ed will do this, best of luck to him. The wisest move may be to take Access's GPL'd stuff and remain in step with them.

Surur
    So what apps can this PalmLinux run? im guessing GarnetOS Apps, Native PalmLinux apps (similar to ALP) and im hoping for (but not counting on) the ability to run the existing set of linux bundles available .. ie firefox, skype, Tuxracer
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast