Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Guys it sounds like the Treo line will continue to use the (hacked) GarnetOS. And the Linux kernel will be used for the bigger Hawking device for now.

Kind of like what Nokia is doing with the tablet.
    I can see what you're saying and how you come to that conclusion from the slide posted in the TC article. It's probably worth noting though that the Nokia N770 and N800 tablets aren't conventional mobile phones and don't have GSM, UMTS, HSDPA, CDMA, EvDO or any other cell-phone radio (they can do VoIP). Use of the phrase 'simultaneous voice/data' in describing Palm Linux leads me to believe that the new OS will be used to power phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    I can see what you're saying and how you come to that conclusion from the slide posted in the TC article. It's probably worth noting though that the Nokia N770 and N800 tablets aren't conventional mobile phones and don't have GSM, UMTS, HSDPA, CDMA, EvDO or any other cell-phone radio (they can do VoIP). Use of the phrase 'simultaneous voice/data' in describing Palm Linux leads me to believe that the new OS will be used to power phones.
    Of course it (Hawking device) will. Releasing a radio-less PDA will make it as dead as the Nokia tablets.

BTW one new feature they mentioned was over-the-air hotsync. It's nice I guess but I don't see myself needing it. Syncing multimedia content over the air takes too much time.
    Hmm, just about the time that my upgrade with Sprint comes about. Life is grand.

(I think I'm going to regret posting here. I'm going to get notification emails like crazy for the next week or so.)
    I sincerely hope that this "new" OS will be ported (officially) to the 700 platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet View Post
    I sincerely hope that this "new" OS will be ported (officially) to the 700 platform.
    I don't and I own a 750. I think it's high time that Palm go the "slim route" and get a Blackjack sized device with whatever OS they choose in the marketplace.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    As far as syncing goes I hope the new OS will allow for either push or pull syncing. IE I can initiate the sync from either the handheld (push) or from the desktop (pull).

I also hope they update their BT drivers and signatures with the new os and they play nice together unlike the ugly BT implementation of BT in ANY of the current Treos.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    I don't and I own a 750. I think it's high time that Palm go the "slim route" and get a Blackjack sized device with whatever OS they choose in the marketplace.
    I can stand it if it's thicker than the blackjack, something like 17mm would be GREAT.
    The bad news with Chatter going to Palm is when Marc was developing there was constant fixes & updates. Well with Palm we can expect one fix or update per year at most.
    Hey gadgetluva!

I'm a dinosaur. I've carried a Palm PDA on my hip for 10 years now . . . . . the 680/750 form factor is fine with me -- just keep cramming more utility into it. . . . . 12 hour battery. . . . GPS . . . . . 20GB of memory . . . . . TV . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/10/2007 at 04:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    The bad news with Chatter going to Palm is when Marc was developing there was constant fixes & updates. Well with Palm we can expect one fix or update per year at most.
    Maybe we won't need more than 1 fix a year with Chatter actually integrated into the Palm OS. Think of all the uphill battles Marc fought as a 3rd party developer. With Marc working for Palm I am extremely optimistic that we are going to see a version of Chatter that works much better than any previously released version. I expect to see integrated syncs with Calendar, Contacts in addition to email accounts. Hopefully this will be available through IMAP instead of Active Sync.
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    you have a point. there is no need for constant updates or fixes if the OS is stable & the inititial release of the software is the one with all "fixes" already. we'll see
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    and with that...SILLY SEASON BEGINS once again!!
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    I guess the statement I made here was pretty accurate!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...99&postcount=1
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post

That's what i was waiting for ..... some one to declare silly season !!!!!!!!!!

da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I'd like to keep the form factor of the 700 considering all the accessories I have for my treo now. Although slimmer might be cool, but it is tough buying new accessories. I got burned by palm over the years constantly changing connectors etc. Integrated chattermail. I use snappermail now. One feature I don't have now is the ability to start an email from a template. I find myself writing similar emails often. I'd like to have the option of wriitng an email from a template that would include a pre-written text body and subject. Marc, you listening?
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    I have a fat Treo (700wx) and a skinny Treo (750). Battery life on the fat boy is better. That matters. So Mr. Colligan please invent a skinny battery that lasts forever, will ya?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I have a fat Treo (700wx) and a skinny Treo (750). Battery life on the fat boy is better. That matters. So Mr. Colligan please invent a skinny battery that lasts forever, will ya?
    The 750 is thinner? Does it work with the cradle for the wx?
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Quote Originally Posted by southbound747 View Post
    The 750 is thinner? Does it work with the cradle for the wx?
    Yep, the skinny 750 fits in the same cradle as Fatboy 700wx. What's more, the 750's skinnier battery fits into the little compartment to recharge whilst the 750 is in the cradle. And you need two batteries with the 750. I can get away with one for the 700wx though I carry a second because of a slight amount of obsessive-compulsive behavior.
    Y'know, I'm looking at both the 700wx and the 750 now and I don't think the 750 is much skinnier if at all. Wow. Amputating the antenna made me think it was way smaller than the 700wx when it really isn't.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast