Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Guys it sounds like the Treo line will continue to use the (hacked) GarnetOS. And the Linux kernel will be used for the bigger Hawking device for now.

Kind of like what Nokia is doing with the tablet. I don't understand why Nokia is doing and I don't know why Palm is doing it now. Linux should be able to scale into smaller PDA phone IMO.
    Palm is getting very Apple-ish. Smart move. Palm has always reminded me of Apple. This is great and welcomed news.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    Look at what we will give you in the future.

I think this is a giant step forward for Palm but I think it is to late for many people.

I don't doubt they will have this new OS on a phone in about a year as Palm seems to be of the mind set that if they churn out new phones at $500 a pop people won't want updates to their previous phones.

Want an update buy a new $500 phone.

No thanks.
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Right. Where's the support for our dead-ended 700p?
    Nonetheless, this is great news for POS as a whole. It WILL live on and flourish, I believe.

Chatter itself is one of the reasons I will forgo the "iphone" and all the WM interations and wait for the the new Palm Linux based uberphone (yea, and I was one of the leaders in the camped out line waiting for the ill fated samsung sph-i55p uberphone.....)

Bring it on, Palm, I am already in line...
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    So does this mean it would be foolish to spend money on Palm applications now? Or should I wait?
    Quote Originally Posted by eodell View Post
    Right. Where's the support for our dead-ended 700p?
    I'm still holding out hope for a 700p update. Will it fix all of our issues, no, but maybe it'll be something. I expect new Treo devices prior to any based on Linux will be underwhelming in any event. Given the announcements today, only the "average consumer" is likely to pick up a new FrankenGarnet device. I'm willing to hold onto my 700p (even in its current state) until I see what Palm releases on the new OS later this year/early next.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycray View Post
    So does this mean it would be foolish to spend money on Palm applications now? Or should I wait?
    It would seem that Palm intends to support current applications. They also want to "Evolve the Palm Developer Community to the new Palm experience" so most purchases now are probably a safe bet at least through the end of 2007. It does not appear that they intend to make all current apps obsolete with the new OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycray View Post
    No. Most likely it will work. regardless, get what you need and roll from there.

The rest of the new is what many of us have been saying for a while. Palm isnt smart to preannounce so early though. They most definitely either learned from teh Vx/m505 debacle and have it nearly ready now, just waiting for a network FCC or something.

Nice job Palm.

At the note also, I can see Nokia making a serious play for Palm. The product lines have an interesting mirror to them with this announcement.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    On the other hand, "Evolve the Palm Developer Community to the new Palm experience" could well mean that we can say good-bye to most of today's PalmOS applications. This would also mean spending more money for cross-upgrading your apps, when they become available.

Consider that even some mature Palm applications have had problems moving from the 600 to 650 to 680. We are now looking at a completely new platform, the pretty picture (with all those arrows), notwithstanding.
    I believe everyone is with me when i say Fu*k yeah!

This is the best news i've heard in a while from Palm!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    This is good news. PalmOS will finally have grown up, and it will be all about the UI, not the technical abilities of the OS.

I hope they dont try too be too smart, like the Cobalt people, and try and implement multi-tasking in some unique and convoluted way (e.g. only one proper thread and multiple background threads etc).

Surur
    Linux has multitasking and memory management built-in. With Linux they can take an extremely scalable OS, put a GUI on it, build some HW drivers and phone specific apps and they are ready to go.

This is not like Cobalt and building an OS from scratch. A rock solid foundation is already there.
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob View Post
    Linux has multitasking and memory management built-in. With Linux they can take an extremely scalable OS, put a GUI on it, build some HW drivers and phone specific apps and they are ready to go.

This is not like Cobalt and building an OS from scratch. A rock solid foundation is already there.
    In theory yes, but the Access people are also using Linux, and they are doing multi-tasking in some funny way too, e.g.

One of the most important new capabilities that ALP adds over the Palm OS is multitasking. Thanks to its modern Linux architecture, ALP is fully capable of running multiple applications concurrently. But PalmSource has wisely left it to the judgment of developers to decide whether their applications provide value running in a background thread. Unless specifically written to run in the background after another application is launched, ALP applications will exit and free up memory just as Palm OS applications currently do. This contrasts with Windows Mobile and Symbian systems where the default behavior is to leave every application in memory after the user closes it and launches another.
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...linuxworld-sf/

Surur
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I Believed !!
    you can change your signature now. You believed . Not a believe anymore is it?
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Good point. (But she ain't for sale yet, however, any air of uncertainty has definitely been moved down wind.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/10/2007 at 12:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I decided to listen in on the confence as well. I'm excited to see what the "new" palm has to offer however during the Q&A things sounded like the same ol' Palm. When asked about the new tech i.e 4G radio they answered that they don't like to be the front line with NEW techs like when WIFI came around
    But when Ed Colligan talked about the future device I had a smile from ear to ear: instanest on, instanst switching between apps, muti-tasking, back-up/restore and updating device online
    Last edited by Doc31; 04/10/2007 at 12:36 PM.
    I don't think you should hold out buying any Palm OS apps for fear that they won't work on the new version. We've been through a transition before and most apps ran perfectly well, I expect Palm will have the same kind of emulation built in, if need be.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I Believed !!
    We knew it was coming! Just hope they get the rom up date to the 700p or I will have to get the 755p in May and a stocking stuffer in Dec with the Treo 800-900 series; hopefully a slimmer Treo)!. Well we have 6 months to wait. Hopefully no delay!
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    The webcast has moved on to other topics. Sadly, I'm not actually there so I won't be able to ask questions. Ah,well. Hopefully they'll circle back.
    Please ask on the fix for the 700p!! PLEASE!!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast